BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #220 on: 26 Sep 2014, 12:51 am »
After watching the video, I'm disappointed the BOT doesn't have a tray to load CDs. Instead you feed them into the unit like a car CD player. When you take them out, you get fingerprints on the CD. That's a deal breaker for me at this price level.

The audio isn't played back like it is in a traditional CD player, if you happen to get finger prints on the data side it shouldn't an issue.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #221 on: 26 Sep 2014, 01:15 am »
Okay, so when can we expect to see the BOT-1 and it's matching power supply in the store?

Also, Chris mentioned the boards are ready to be given to your manufacturer... Does this mean Bryston hired a company to manufacture this product for them and does this apply to other digital products as well?

Cheers!
Antun

I think your over simplifying things, a product is made up of multiple components.  Everything is designed, manufactured and checked at Bryston.  We rely on fabricators (Canadian) to supply us with Bryston designed/specified parts to build our products.  For example, we out source the fabrication of our chassis to a company Kingston, ON; that chassis is sent to another company Kingston to be powder coated.  That component (along with many others) are delivered to Bryston where it is inspected for flaws and if it passes it is then entered into inventory where it will eventually be "kitted" to be used to assemble what ever it was destined to be part of.  Dress panels to through a similair routine, but are done by a company Toronto that specializes in aluminum extrusions and milling, rather then a company that specializes in folder steel/aluminum construction.

We here at Bryston are great at designing and manufacturing of high end audio electronics, but certain parts of the manufacturing process are best suited to people to those who have already mastered a certain craft.  These parts are also generally dangerous in some way, wether it be the use of heavy equipment or toxic chemicals.

Circuits boards go through a routine that is quite a bit more complex, first sheets of pcb that are thinly coated with copper or etched using some nasty chemicals.  If a board contains more then two layers of traces then the multiple sheets need to be epoxed together, using more toxic chemicals.  Once the board is built it still needs to be populated with components.  Anything out sourced is all handled by Canadian companies and I believe they all reside in ontario.

We arn't any different then any other company with the exception that we try to use Canadian companies for as much of the manufacturing process as possible and at the end of the day the product was hand built by a man or women in Peterborough ON, employed by Bryston Ltd.

Cheers,
Chris

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #222 on: 26 Sep 2014, 05:13 am »
Thanks for that Chris! I was kinda curious. I'm really glad to hear its done locally!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #223 on: 26 Sep 2014, 06:51 pm »
A BDP-2 provides enough power over USB to power the BOT or even the BMS (aka BHD) if 2.5" drive is installed.  The power supply component is needed if your using the BOT with a BDP-1 or installing 3.5" drive in the BMS (Bryston Mass Storage).  The MPS-2 is designed with analog devices, like preamps, phonographs or headphone amps in mind and not digital products.  The BPS (the power supply for the BOT/BMS) is designed for digital products and potentially to be used for analog products (perhaps a dec or preamp).  The BPS transformer will contain three sets of secondary taps:

0-8v @ 5amps for digital circuits requiring 5v or 3.3v
0-14v @ 3amps for digital circuits requiring 12v
20-0-20v @1amp for possible products containing an analog circuit

The MPS-2 does have a 12v output that could be regulated down to the needed 5v for the BOT, however this line is protected by a 500mA fuse that would blow as soon as the BOT (requires 1.6Amps) was powered on.

Cheers,
Chris

...thanks, Chris. very good explained :thumb:

al.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #224 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:18 pm »
Here's a video from EuroCircuits on how a printed circuit board (raw card) is manufactured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIV0icM_Ujo

This is probably the most common of several ways that printed circuit boards, raw cards, are manufactured.

note:  I don't have any ties to EuroCircuits.  I just found their video to be informative on how your typical, generic, pcb is created.

HsvHeelFan

R. Daneel

« Reply #225 on: 27 Sep 2014, 09:05 am »
I think your over simplifying things, a product is made up of multiple components.  Everything is designed, manufactured and checked at Bryston.  We rely on fabricators (Canadian) to supply us with Bryston designed/specified parts to build our products.  For example, we out source the fabrication of our chassis to a company Kingston, ON; that chassis is sent to another company Kingston to be powder coated.  That component (along with many others) are delivered to Bryston where it is inspected for flaws and if it passes it is then entered into inventory where it will eventually be "kitted" to be used to assemble what ever it was destined to be part of.  Dress panels to through a similair routine, but are done by a company Toronto that specializes in aluminum extrusions and milling, rather then a company that specializes in folder steel/aluminum construction.

We here at Bryston are great at designing and manufacturing of high end audio electronics, but certain parts of the manufacturing process are best suited to people to those who have already mastered a certain craft.  These parts are also generally dangerous in some way, wether it be the use of heavy equipment or toxic chemicals.

Circuits boards go through a routine that is quite a bit more complex, first sheets of pcb that are thinly coated with copper or etched using some nasty chemicals.  If a board contains more then two layers of traces then the multiple sheets need to be epoxed together, using more toxic chemicals.  Once the board is built it still needs to be populated with components.  Anything out sourced is all handled by Canadian companies and I believe they all reside in ontario.

We arn't any different then any other company with the exception that we try to use Canadian companies for as much of the manufacturing process as possible and at the end of the day the product was hand built by a man or women in Peterborough ON, employed by Bryston Ltd.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris!

Thank you for an elaborate reply! I wasn't really trying to simplify anything. It is the same thing in construction business - concrete and reinforcement is done by one company, electrical installatations by another, industrial equipment is installed by someone else etc. It's a complex matter. Every piece of my equpment is Bryston because I appreciate the effort you put into your products. It is always a good thing to add sanity when it comes to engineering and I am fond of Bryston for it's sane, logical design that is based on principles, not marketing. You also have to realise that Bryston equipment is quite a lot more expensive in EU so you're in between some rough competition and still, I think it is worth it. Because your equipment performs as good or better, has a good reputation and lasts a lifetime with a guarantee period to prove it and is made in the western world, NOT in China. I look for traditional values in equipment and I am sure there are plenty people like me out there.

Best,
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #226 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:02 pm »
Hello!

Is there a possibility we will see the BOT-1 and it's matching power supply withing the next six months?

It is an interesting project and I will certainly give it a thought when it is available. Buying a dedicated CD player is always nice but the advantage of the BOT-1 in my opinion would be that it eliminates the managing side of things and leaves you with nothing but the actual CD drive. The management side of things is taken by the BDP and BDA. As a result of that, the sound would be very consistent between direct CD playback and playback of files that have already been ripped onto a flash drive.

I think that BDP and BDA need more utilization and the BOT-1 will allow precisely that. To buy a dedicated CD player that would match the BDP and BDA in audio quality would demand effort and significant funds and the usefulness of buying a CD player would be put in question by the fact I already have the managing side of things and all that is missing is the CD drive.

Just thinking out loud. Or in hand-writing/typing...

Cheerio!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #227 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm »
Hello!

Is there a possibility we will see the BOT-1 and it's matching power supply withing the next six months?

It is an interesting project and I will certainly give it a thought when it is available. Buying a dedicated CD player is always nice but the advantage of the BOT-1 in my opinion would be that it eliminates the managing side of things and leaves you with nothing but the actual CD drive. The management side of things is taken by the BDP and BDA. As a result of that, the sound would be very consistent between direct CD playback and playback of files that have already been ripped onto a flash drive.

I think that BDP and BDA need more utilization and the BOT-1 will allow precisely that. To buy a dedicated CD player that would match the BDP and BDA in audio quality would demand effort and significant funds and the usefulness of buying a CD player would be put in question by the fact I already have the managing side of things and all that is missing is the CD drive.

Just thinking out loud. Or in hand-writing/typing...

Cheerio!
Antun

Hi Antun

I am going to show the BOT at the Toronto show coming up and the plan is to have it available early in the new year.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #228 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:40 pm »
  James, any pictures of the final product?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #229 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:51 pm »
  James, any pictures of the final product?

None official but it will look like the pics I posted earlier.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #230 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:09 pm »

Hi Antun

I am going to show the BOT at the Toronto show coming up and the plan is to have it available early in the new year.

james

Excellent! I am looking forward to it!

Do we know what the price might be as of yet?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #231 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:12 pm »
Excellent! I am looking forward to it!

Do we know what the price might be as of yet?

Cheers!
Antun

Looks  like around $850.00 list

james

rmurray

« Reply #232 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:51 pm »
 Does this mean we won't see the new CD player ? :scratch:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #233 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm »
  Oh no. James can tell us for sure.... :dunno:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #234 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:55 pm »
  Oh no. James can tell us for sure.... :dunno:

Still being discussed

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #235 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please find attached the preliminary literature sheet on the new Bryston BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Drive) which can be used in combination with our BDP-2 Digital Player.

We will be showing it at the upcoming Toronto Show and should be available for sale in January 2015.

It is a 1/3rd size unit (same as the BUC-1).

Price is projected to be about $850 List in USA

James

Rod_S

« Reply #236 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:24 pm »
Excellent.

What's the Canadian list?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #237 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:26 pm »
Excellent.

What's the Canadian list?

same

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #238 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:27 pm »
James excellent idea. Is this for Bryston DACs only ? Sell a bunch great concept.

charles

Rod_S