BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #240 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:38 pm »
James excellent idea. Is this for Bryston DACs only ? Sell a bunch great concept.

charles

Hi Charles

For the BDP-2 Digital Player - you still need to feed the BDP player into a DAC.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #241 on: 17 Oct 2014, 05:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please find attached the preliminary literature sheet on the new Bryston BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Drive) which can be used in combination with our BDP-2 Digital Player.

We will be showing it at the upcoming Toronto Show and should be available for sale in January 2015.

It is a 1/3rd size unit (same as the BUC-1).

Price is projected to be about $850 List in USA

James

That's excellent James!

For the BDP-1 users, when can we see the matching power supply considering BDP-1 cannot provide sufficient current through it's USB port?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #242 on: 17 Oct 2014, 06:07 pm »
That's excellent James!

For the BDP-1 users, when can we see the matching power supply considering BDP-1 cannot provide sufficient current through it's USB port?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi

We are looking at a new power supply but nothing built yet.

james

Marius

« Reply #243 on: 18 Oct 2014, 10:02 am »
HI James,

congrats on another innovative product!

While your designing the new power supply, would you provide for some extra high quality power connections for powered usb drives on it? Could be the sole reason to by one ;-)

Cheers,
Marius

Hi

We are looking at a new power supply but nothing built yet.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #244 on: 21 Oct 2014, 12:42 am »
HI James,

congrats on another innovative product!

While your designing the new power supply, would you provide for some extra high quality power connections for powered usb drives on it? Could be the sole reason to by one ;-)

Cheers,
Marius

We are planing a 3.5" drive enclosure to go with the power supply product, if this helps? Or did if you have something else in mind?

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #245 on: 3 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm »
Sorry, i missed this one.

I was just thinking, in designing the new power supply, you might add the possibility for it to be used for externally powered USB drives. With high quality (was it non switching?) transformers. a slightly different product than your drive enclosure.

Marius

We are planing a 3.5" drive enclosure to go with the power supply product, if this helps? Or did if you have something else in mind?

Cheers
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #246 on: 5 Nov 2014, 02:27 pm »
Marius, You're basically talking about making it a powered USB hub in addition to power supply right? Sounds like a good idea.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #247 on: 5 Nov 2014, 04:48 pm »
Great point, Gary. I agree that Marius' idea offers strong flexibility.

Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #248 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:03 pm »
Sorry, i missed this one.

I was just thinking, in designing the new power supply, you might add the possibility for it to be used for externally powered USB drives. With high quality (was it non switching?) transformers. a slightly different product than your drive enclosure.

Marius

The power supply won't have any regulation built in, but it will use a toroidal transformer and the devices it powers will contain linear regulators (to better distribute heat dissipation).  I did want to add something for DIY'ers, a linear regulated 5v USB port.  I've seen a number of neat raspberry pi hifi projects and after attending a Linux Audiophile seminar at TAVES noticed there seems to be all lot of interest in this.  I'm not sure if I will make make it internal or release a cable with the regulator built in or anything at all.  Regardless we are using a DB15HD connector for the power outlet, so the connector can be picked up for a few dollars from digikey.  I hope the manual will contain some documentation regarding for the connector works and its pin out.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/180-015-202L001/T815FER-ND/1767539

plus a DB9 casing

The above picture is taken from the power outlet board found in the BPS-3
The two sensing pins (SENSE_G and SENSE_P) should be shorted with a resistor (the value has yet to be determined).

Cheers,
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #249 on: 6 Nov 2014, 05:21 pm »
Hi guys!

Is there an estimated price on the power supply unit?

I have a BDP-1 and shall require one to power the BOT-1 as I really want to get the most out of this amazing player.

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #250 on: 6 Nov 2014, 07:43 pm »
Hi guys!

Is there an estimated price on the power supply unit?

I have a BDP-1 and shall require one to power the BOT-1 as I really want to get the most out of this amazing player.

Cheers!
Antun

I know three things, it'll cost more then a dollar, but less then an infinite amount of dollars.

Cheers,
Chris

Samurai7595

« Reply #251 on: 7 Nov 2014, 02:06 am »
I know three things, it'll cost more then a dollar, but less then an infinite amount of dollars.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris, that's two things.  What's the third?   :scratch:

R. Daneel

« Reply #252 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:05 pm »

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris!

That's exactly where my budget is!!!

What's the third thing?
Antun

hal jones

« Reply #253 on: 8 Nov 2014, 09:19 pm »
With the recent news of the BDA-3, is there any way the BOT can read and output the DSD layer to the DAC in any way???

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #254 on: 8 Nov 2014, 09:29 pm »
With the recent news of the BDA-3, is there any way the BOT can read and output the DSD layer to the DAC in any way???

I do not believe so but will let Chris respond.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #255 on: 9 Nov 2014, 11:59 am »
Hi James!

I've been meaning to ask you with respect to DVD playback on the BOT-1. It will play audio CDs for now, I know, but is there a chance it will also read DVD-Rs with high-resolution PCM content in the future? I am aware that this will have to be added in the firmware of your BDP series players but is this something you are considering?

My apologies for not having sent you that problematic flash drive for inspection yet, it will be in the post this week.

Best,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #256 on: 9 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm »
Hi James!

I've been meaning to ask you with respect to DVD playback on the BOT-1. It will play audio CDs for now, I know, but is there a chance it will also read DVD-Rs with high-resolution PCM content in the future? I am aware that this will have to be added in the firmware of your BDP series players but is this something you are considering?

My apologies for not having sent you that problematic flash drive for inspection yet, it will be in the post this week.

Best,
Antun

Yes we are using a BluRay drive in the BOT so there is room for future development.

James

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #257 on: 10 Nov 2014, 05:52 pm »
Chris, that's two things.  What's the third?   :scratch:

I have bird flu, so you can't be mean to me  :wink:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #258 on: 10 Nov 2014, 05:53 pm »

Uhm.... errr.... no

The BOT is designed to act as an extension for the BDP.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #259 on: 10 Nov 2014, 05:54 pm »
Hi James!

Best,
Antun

Hi Antun,

Yes this is something being considered and development will be based on user feedback.

Cheers,
Chris