BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

R. Daneel

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #280 on: 6 Mar 2015, 06:57 pm »
End of the month, as the bps-3 is going to take some time before it will be complete, we have been making a few modifications to make both the bot and BMS to work with a 12v wall wart making both available sooner rather then later.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Does this mean I would be able to use the BOT-1 with my BDP-1 just using this wall wart?

If so, why would I need the BPS-3?

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #281 on: 6 Mar 2015, 10:52 pm »
That is correct.  We are still pushing forward with the wall wart for people that would rather have linear solution rather then a switching solution.  Second, we intend on releasing additional products that would also make use of this power supply.  We intend on releasing a line of audio products that make use of the 1/3 width size that the BOT, BMS, BPS-3 and BUC-1 use.

Current ideas include, DAC, ADC, pre-amp and phono.  time will tell what comes of the this new form factor

Cheers,
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #282 on: 7 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm »
That is correct.  We are still pushing forward with the wall wart for people that would rather have linear solution rather then a switching solution.  Second, we intend on releasing additional products that would also make use of this power supply.  We intend on releasing a line of audio products that make use of the 1/3 width size that the BOT, BMS, BPS-3 and BUC-1 use.

Current ideas include, DAC, ADC, pre-amp and phono.  time will tell what comes of the this new form factor

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris!

One product I'd like to see is a single-ended-only version of the BHA-1 headphone amplifier. I think that would be a highly desirable and popular product from Bryston.

However, it is good to know I won't be required to buy the BPS-3 just to use the BOT-1 with the BDP-1. It will give me the opportunity to get the BOT-1 when it becomes available and get the BPS-3 at a later date.

Cheers!
Antun

BrysTony

« Reply #283 on: 11 Mar 2015, 02:56 pm »
James/Chris,
This thread has been running for 2 years and it finally sounds like the BOT-1 is about to be released and I read that there are backorders already.  Is there a document that summarizes exactly what the BOT-1 does with the BDP-1 and BDP-2?  I am intrigued by the product but it is difficult to know exactly what it is and how it works.  For example, if it rips a CD to a hard drive what is the result?  Is information about the CD such as genre, artist, etc. available?  How about file structure?  Can it play the CD without ripping it to the drive?  Are there differences in how it works with the BDP-1 and -2?
Regards,
Tony

R. Daneel

« Reply #284 on: 14 Mar 2015, 08:55 am »
James/Chris,
This thread has been running for 2 years and it finally sounds like the BOT-1 is about to be released and I read that there are backorders already.  Is there a document that summarizes exactly what the BOT-1 does with the BDP-1 and BDP-2?  I am intrigued by the product but it is difficult to know exactly what it is and how it works.  For example, if it rips a CD to a hard drive what is the result?  Is information about the CD such as genre, artist, etc. available?  How about file structure?  Can it play the CD without ripping it to the drive?  Are there differences in how it works with the BDP-1 and -2?
Regards,
Tony

Hi Tony!

I got replies from Chris about all the things you are asking now. Read the last couple of pages on this thread. Yes, there are differences how the BOT-1 behaves with BDP-1 and BDP-2. I believe all the information about the disc will appear automatically if the BDP is connected to the internet. Also, the BOT-1 can be set up to do either ripping or playback once the disc has been loaded.

What I am interested in is playback of high-resolution files from DVDs. I hope this will be available considering BOT-1 is going to use either a DVD or BD -ROM drive and this would be one of the main selling points for me.

Cheers!
Antun

BrysTony

« Reply #285 on: 15 Mar 2015, 03:02 am »
Hi Tony!

I got replies from Chris about all the things you are asking now. Read the last couple of pages on this thread. Yes, there are differences how the BOT-1 behaves with BDP-1 and BDP-2. I believe all the information about the disc will appear automatically if the BDP is connected to the internet. Also, the BOT-1 can be set up to do either ripping or playback once the disc has been loaded.

What I am interested in is playback of high-resolution files from DVDs. I hope this will be available considering BOT-1 is going to use either a DVD or BD -ROM drive and this would be one of the main selling points for me.

Cheers!
Anton
Thanks Anton. I still see more questions than answers. After two years of design, Bryston has stated that they have back orders and that the BOT will be shown in Montreal.  Surely there must be marketing material describing BOT capabilities. I just would like to see it. Patiently standing by...

Tony

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com

BrysTony

« Reply #287 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:11 pm »
Video is private.  I can't see it.

Tony

R. Daneel

« Reply #288 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:42 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE-OIYkt5v0&feature=youtu.be

Hi Chris!

The video is private, I can't access it either.

@Tony

Hi Tony!

The BOT-1 philosophy is two-fold and it works differently with BDP-1 and -2 players. The hassle, the way I understood it, is the difference in amount of RAM between the players. The BDP-1 has 256 MB which is not enough to store an entire disc and one has to take into account the fact that there is less memory availanle because the machine uses a portion for it's Linux system. This is why BDP-1 will sequentally read the disc and store only what is needed instead of the whole disc. The BDP-2 will store an entire disc in it's RAM and it will be played from there. Technically, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be the same because both machines will play the files stored in the memory, not directly from the disc, and this will eliminate any errors.

You also asked whether it will be necessary to rip the disc before it can be played. The answer is no, the machines will play the files directly from RAM and they will not be temporarily stored on connected storage devices. That said, Bryston will leave the decision of how the BOT-1 will work to us. Essentially, you will be able to select how the BOT-1 will behave once the disc has been inserted - either direct playback or ripping (and possibly both at the same time) will be possible.

My concern with the BOT-1 was that it would not work with BDP-1 without BPS-3, the new linear power supply, because BDP-1 cannot provide sufficient power through it's USB ports. However, till the BPS-3 is released, it now seems like Bryston will provide a wall-wart power supply that will power the BOT-1. The BPS-3 will be available at a later date so my guess is that they did not want to post-pone the project on account of the power supply.

I kind of wish they have kept the full 17'' profile of the unit instead of shrinking it down to one third the width but I suppose it makes more sense since it will be a part of their miniature series. The prototype looked rather nice with a classic drawer-type loading mechanism. The BOT-1 will be a slot-loading type though and while I am not a fan of those, I acknowledge the usefulness of the unit as it will really make the BDP computer-independent.

I hope I provided at least something useful!

Best,
Antun

BrysTony

« Reply #289 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:48 pm »
Hi Antun,
Good information.  Thank you.
Tony

R. Daneel

« Reply #290 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:59 pm »
Hi Antun,
Good information.  Thank you.
Tony

Cheers mate! :thumb:
Antun

doveman

« Reply #291 on: 15 Apr 2015, 08:14 am »
Just a question regarding the BPS-3 and BOT-1.

You mentioned of future possibilities in the same form factor and using the BPS-3 power supply, and for people who want a BOT-1 and have a BDP-1 it sounds as though a BPS-3 will be required. What if you currently have a MPS-2, BP26 users for example. Will the MPS-2 be able to power the BOT-1 or similar accessories, or will a cable be available?

I would actually like a BP26 however are deterred as I would have to buy a MPS-2 at the same time, but if the MPS-2 could power multiple accessories it would become a more palatable option.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #292 on: 15 Apr 2015, 12:09 pm »

You mentioned of future possibilities in the same form factor and using the BPS-3 power supply, and for people who want a BOT-1 and have a BDP-1 it sounds as though a BPS-3 will be required. What if you currently have a MPS-2, BP26 users for example. Will the MPS-2 be able to power the BOT-1 or similar accessories, or will a cable be available?

I would actually like a BP26 however are deterred as I would have to buy a MPS-2 at the same time, but if the MPS-2 could power multiple accessories it would become a more palatable option.

Hi

I will let Chris respond but I believe the MPS2 will not power the BOT as the BOT requires a different current/voltage ratio?

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #293 on: 16 Apr 2015, 12:46 am »

I believe this has been answered in the past, a MPS-2 doesn't provide the correct voltage for the BOT and is also current limited below the BOT needs

R. Daneel

« Reply #294 on: 16 Apr 2015, 02:11 pm »
I believe this has been answered in the past, a MPS-2 doesn't provide the correct voltage for the BOT and is also current limited below the BOT needs

Yes, but the BOT-1 will come with a wall-wart power supply which will make it possible for BDP-1 users to use the BOT-1 until the BPS-3 is released, right?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #295 on: 16 Apr 2015, 02:13 pm »
Yes, but the BOT-1 will come with a wall-wart power supply which will make it possible for BDP-1 users to use the BOT-1 until the BPS-3 is released, right?

Cheers!
Antun

Correct

james

SteveLim

• dCS Puccini - Bryston 7B SST - PMC FB1 Speakers
« Reply #296 on: 31 May 2015, 05:38 pm »
I have not taken up the challenge to rip my CDs into files because i just have not a clue how to catalogue them, and the huge task is just daunting.
Hoping there'll be something that will do this for me,  by searching out the CDs metadata from databases in the internet.

Will the BOT1 do this automatically,  retaining essential information like Composer, Performer,  Artiste,  Title, Label, etc ?
So that i could easily search out discs by these information fields?

Thanks.

Krutsch

« Reply #297 on: 9 Jun 2015, 08:18 pm »
Is the BOT-1 still coming? I haven't spoken with my dealer, lately, so apologies if it's available for order via dealers; but, I haven't seen this appear on the Bryston website.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #298 on: 9 Jun 2015, 08:36 pm »
Is the BOT-1 still coming? I haven't spoken with my dealer, lately, so apologies if it's available for order via dealers; but, I haven't seen this appear on the Bryston website.

Hi

We started production this week but it will be a few weeks to catch up on the backorders.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #299 on: 9 Jun 2015, 08:41 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Will the BOT-1 include the linear PSU wall-wart?