Re-entry Level Vinyl to 'Improve on' CD...

rooze

Re: Re-entry Level Vinyl to 'Improve on' CD...
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:01 am »
Dearest rooze,

Once upon a time, I asked Jeff Dorgay, the editor of Tone Audio the very same question as the OP. Jeff has been around the block and has numerous turntables at his disposal and also does head to head comparisons and then changes only 1 parameter, like the arm, cartridge or table itself to illustrate these differences. Of course he is a reviewer and the skeptics may advise to take his opinion with a grain salt. However, in my experience, I do not believe his advice is hyperbole as he has not steered this newbie wrong. I am very much of a neophyte, so here are my $.02, or actually Mr. Dorgay's through a private PM where he provided me his valued opinion on the VPI Traveler vs. Clear Audio Concept vs. Rega RP6:

Hi there:

These three tables are all excellent.  I hate to sound like I'm dodging the bullet here, but to put it shortly, the RP6 has a bit faster, zippier,
more "PRAT" approach to it's delivery.  The Traveler has its DNA rooted in the Classic 1 heavily.  Think more weight and warmth.  The Concept is honestly right in the middle.  It's got a lot of the detail of the RP6, but not quite the giddy up of the Traveler.  All three are relatively easy to set up and none of them let you adjust all tonearm parameters.

Also, you can somewhat offset the different sound with cartridge choice.  Where something like the already full bodied Grado carts are a bit too much of a good thing for me on the Traveler, something like the fairly detailed Sumiko Blackbird or Dynavector 17D3 is a bit too much on the RP6, yet putting the Blackbird on the Traveler is amazing...  etc etc.

Having used all three of these tables quite a bit (and I own both the Classic 1 and the RP6), You'd be tough going wrong with either, again, if it were my choice, I'd think about overall system sound and what voice you prefer to make the final call.  Last but not least if you do go the RP6 route, I would highly suggest a Groovetracer sub platter, it will take the RP6 a few clicks better in terms of speed stability and low level detail resolution.

Hope that helps...

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand, that's actually a big help. The Traveler is right in my budget, and from the description (more weight and warmth) is exactly where I want to be.
I think my next task will be a trip to my dealer to hear the Traveler and the Clearaudio Concept side by side.

I can't thank everyone enough for the advice and for opening up a variety of options. As jimdgoulding just said, I'm going to be having some fun real soon!

I was a little on the cusp of taking the plunge before starting this thread, now it's a done deal.

Cheers

Rooze

*Scotty*

« Reply #41 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:16 am »
Based on what others say about the Traveler, if I were a rich man I would be tempted to try a Dynavector 17D3 with it. The result might be close to neutral if that sort of sound was desired. The turntables' known tendencies towards warmth might make it easy to dial in the sound of the combination of table and cartridge depending on what kind of sound the cartridge has.
Scotty

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #42 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:19 am »
Rooze,
I just want to point out that Jeff Dorgay's comparison doesn't answer the question of how they would stack up to your old LP12/Ittock.  I had a mid '80s LP12 and although I never compared it to one of those three, I have my doubts if it would be outclassed by any one of them.  I suspect your old LP12, if set-up properly, is a better machine, with better prat, solidity, detail, and finesse. I don't say this to put down these new offerings, I'm sure they're great for what they are, but the Linn isn't an entry level piece.

In order to meet your criteria, I think you would have to stretch your budget to VPI Classic level, or its equivalent.  Given your previous experience, if you got one of those three you'd probably be trading up within a year.  That might not be a bad way to get back into vinyl.  You could probably recover most of your initial cost when you resell, and until then, work on your record collection.
neo

SteveRB

« Reply #43 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:51 am »
A rebuilt Lenco is in your price range. Fantastic analog sound.

rooze

« Reply #44 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:52 am »
Hey Neo,

That's a concern of mine too.

With the rest of my system I'm really pleased with where I'm at. For the first time in years I don't feel any urge to change any of the main components.

Sure, I'm messing with cables and isolation, but the pre/power amps, speakers and CD player are giving me the grins and giggles that I need.

So I'm not really wanting to put my toe in the vinyl waters and feel frustrated by having a component which doesn't do justice to the rest of the system , I'd sooner wait and get more of a budget together, if that's what it's going to take.

When I bought the Linn many years ago I also bought into the Ivor Teifenbrun principal of investing the majority of your budget into the source. I never really got to the point where I had the supporting equipment to get the most out of the TT, one thing and another then the relocation to the USA came first.

I had the LP12, Ittok II and a Troika cart, the Linn LP1 and LP2 75 amps, with speakers changing between Epos ES 14's, Sonus Faber Electa and Quad 57's. So the front-end was far more capable than the supporting equipment, per the Teifenbrun doctrine.

But now, 20 years on, I don't want to go against the solid principal of 'source first' and feel constrained by the record spinner. I'd like some balance that doesn't create an itch that I can't scratch.

I'm not sure exactly where that puts me in terms of an investment in vinyl, hence the reason for this thread in the first instance.

Of course with many of the TT's there's a viable upgrade path without having to ditch the core unit. I'm not sure if that applies to a Traveler, or a budget Rega etc. I guess there's only so far you can take these 'modest' units before the upgrade path hits a brick wall.

Phew! so much to consider...

Rooze

jimdgoulding

« Reply #45 on: 10 Feb 2013, 06:26 am »
Rooze, daddy, before I became discontent with what I have, I would first examine what is perceptively wrong and what could be improved upon.  What is perceptively wrong, dude?  Might we be a little bored with our playback?  Do we think that we need to make some changes to our reproductive system (as in hifi, you know) cause we think it would make us happier?  Our room and/or placement of our speakers?  Do we miss the discovery from our youth?  Have I missed something?  Your Linn table and tonearm are fundamentally sound in any system today, imo.  I should have them.  Have you given any thought to speaker placement or replacement?  Just ask and you shall receive.  It probably ain't your table and cartridge, mate, if it's anything at all cept for maybe an old bean longing for the latest, it is probably elsewhere.  Well, alignment always need to be considered.  Make no mistake, it's my golden good will that is intended here. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #46 on: 10 Feb 2013, 06:38 am »
Thanks Anand, that's actually a big help. The Traveler is right in my budget, and from the description (more weight and warmth) is exactly where I want to be.
I think my next task will be a trip to my dealer to hear the Traveler and the Clearaudio Concept side by side.

I can't thank everyone enough for the advice and for opening up a variety of options. As jimdgoulding just said, I'm going to be having some fun real soon!

I was a little on the cusp of taking the plunge before starting this thread, now it's a done deal.

Cheers

Rooze

When, and if you do get to hear the Concept and Traveler side by side...please report back!

Best,

Anand.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #47 on: 10 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm »
With that thought I'm steered towards some of the new TT 'package' deals. For example, the Marantz TT15S1 is a good package deal. When you look at the cost of the cartridge and the arm, it's almost like they're throwing in the TT for free. There are a couple others I've looked at with more compatible cartridges (LOMC), that seem to make a lot of sense.

Whew.  :o

What to do?

I brought that table home for an audition and it went right back to the store the next day.  I would not recommend you choose it over the Traveler or Concept.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #48 on: 10 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm »
Rooze, daddy, before I became discontent with what I have, I would first examine what is perceptively wrong and what could be improved upon.  What is perceptively wrong, dude?  Might we be a little bored with our playback?  Do we think that we need to make some changes to our reproductive system (as in hifi, you know) cause we think it would make us happier?  Our room and/or placement of our speakers?  Do we miss the discovery from our youth?  Have I missed something?  Your Linn table and tonearm are fundamentally sound in any system today, imo.  I should have them.  Have you given any thought to speaker placement or replacement?  Just ask and you shall receive.  It probably ain't your table and cartridge, mate, if it's anything at all cept for maybe an old bean longing for the latest, it is probably elsewhere.  Well, alignment always need to be considered.  Make no mistake, it's my golden good will that is intended here.

Try reading the initial post. 
neo

Scotlynn

« Reply #49 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:35 pm »
I was in the same place you were and on about the same budget a couple of years ago, the only difference is that I was and still am a big fan of my CD collection and still enjoy it immensely. I always wanted to go with the VPI Classic, but by the time I factored in even a basic cartridge, I was outside my budget. I ended up coming upon a barely used Concept with a Maestro cartridge on Agon for around $1400. The table has served me well as I restarted my vinyl collection. About six months ago I picked up a used MiniMax phono stage and that has added to my enjoyment. Perhaps in a year, (or maybe when my tax return check comes in a month  :D) I'll sell my Concept rig and might move up a bit and go for that VPI I always wanted, but I have absolutely no regrets about where I started my reentry into vinyl. The Concept has performed extremely well for its price point.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #50 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:39 pm »
Rooze,
I doubt if any of these tables you're thinking of, could compete with the LP12/Ittock you had. But maybe it doesn't have to.  Maybe the sound would be good enough that one of them would be acceptable, at least for now and possibly well into the future, that it would be a good first step.  I really can't say that with confidence, but keep an open mind.

You have to realize that the Ittock alone was $1K back in the '80s and was competitive with other $1K arms. That's not even looking at the table.  These "price point" entries may be cleverly constructed, but the Linn platter is probably worth more than the entire one of those tables. I doubt if that's an exaggeration. Your criteria of being as good as your old table is unrealistic.  After I sold my LP12, I had a Goldmund. None of the tables I've had since, are as good as either one, but I can get them to sound decent. If you'll be bummed if the new table doesn't live up to your expectations, you should hold off for now. I think you should start playing records again even if it's not quite as good.
neo

rooze

« Reply #51 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:44 pm »
I was in the same place you were and on about the same budget a couple of years ago, the only difference is that I was and still am a big fan of my CD collection and still enjoy it immensely. I always wanted to go with the VPI Classic, but by the time I factored in even a basic cartridge, I was outside my budget. I ended up coming upon a barely used Concept with a Maestro cartridge on Agon for around $1400. The table has served me well as I restarted my vinyl collection. About six months ago I picked up a used MiniMax phono stage and that has added to my enjoyment. Perhaps in a year, (or maybe when my tax return check comes in a month  :D) I'll sell my Concept rig and might move up a bit and go for that VPI I always wanted, but I have absolutely no regrets about where I started my reentry into vinyl. The Concept has performed extremely well for its price point.

Thanks for the feedback Scotlynn,

How did you assess its performance alongside your CD system? Better/worse/equally enjoyable just different etc.

Can I ask what you had/have for a CD player, amp/speakers when you brought home the Concept? That will help with some perspective on performance.

The Concept is one of the decks I have available for audition at my dealers, but it's always hit and miss hearing something in a strange system...

Cheers

Rooze

rooze

« Reply #52 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:52 pm »
Rooze,
I doubt if any of these tables you're thinking of, could compete with the LP12/Ittock you had. But maybe it doesn't have to.  Maybe the sound would be good enough that one of them would be acceptable, at least for now and possibly well into the future, that it would be a good first step.  I really can't say that with confidence, but keep an open mind.

You have to realize that the Ittock alone was $1K back in the '80s and was competitive with other $1K arms. That's not even looking at the table.  These "price point" entries may be cleverly constructed, but the Linn platter is probably worth more than the entire one of those tables. I doubt if that's an exaggeration. Your criteria of being as good as your old table is unrealistic.  After I sold my LP12, I had a Goldmund. None of the tables I've had since, are as good as either one, but I can get them to sound decent. If you'll be bummed if the new table doesn't live up to your expectations, you should hold off for now. I think you should start playing records again even if it's not quite as good.
neo

Hey Neo,

It would be near impossible for me to make a direct comparison between anything new that came along and the Linn. Obviously I could be left with a 'it's better or it's not as good' impression, but my memory of the Linn is quite vague at this point, and the supporting gear I had at the time was a little below par.
So I'm not too concerned about looking back, in that respect.
I'm going to keep an eye on the classifieds for a little while and also drop in on my dealer, at least to learn a little more and get an eyeball on the quality differences between the various decks he carries.
Then I'm certain I'll pull the trigger on something, and I'm fairly certain it will provide the enjoyment I'm looking for.

Nothing that's been posted here has caused me any additional anxieties, it's all really supported my initial loose plan, which is great!

Appreciate your help and input..

Cheers

Rooze

rooze

« Reply #53 on: 10 Feb 2013, 01:59 pm »

Hello Jim,

The LP 12 is long since gone, in fact at least one of the components on the deck returned to its country of origin, the Land Of The Rising Sun  :)

But some of your other observations are quite perceptive and may not be too far from the mark. "Do we miss the discovery from our youth? ", heck yeah we do!! Those were the golden days of analog. The touchy feeliness of it all, actually being able to read the liner notes, picking fluff off the stylus....ahh the memories  :) So you're right in that regard, it's part logic, part obsession and part nostalgia, and I'm ok with it that way.

Cheers

Rooze

Scotlynn

« Reply #54 on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:15 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Scotlynn,

How did you assess its performance alongside your CD system? Better/worse/equally enjoyable just different etc.

Can I ask what you had/have for a CD player, amp/speakers when you brought home the Concept? That will help with some perspective on performance.

The Concept is one of the decks I have available for audition at my dealers, but it's always hit and miss hearing something in a strange system...

Cheers

Rooze

Hey Rooze,
I just did a review of a new pair of speakers I purchased in which I lay out my current set up. You can find it here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113912.0

For me the assessment of cd to lp is not an easy one; it's literally on a recording-by-recording basis, but in general I would say its both different AND equally enjoyable. Case in point - I have Stevie Ray Vaughan on both vinyl and SACD. They both sound great. The vinyl gives me a little more gritty realism that matches perfectly with his delivery, while the SACD gives his guitar playing an edge that is electrifying. If you forced me to generalize, I find that my approach to vinyl vs digital is increasingly becoming one of genre, more than any other factor. I love 70's classic rock on vinyl - the sound, the feel, the whole experience. Yes' Fragile just makes sense to me on the TT. (I'm convinced that its, at least in part, an emotional thing because I grew up in the 70's with a rickety Dual, a load of beat-to-hell Yes/Bowie/Stones/Mott the Hoople records and a big bag of really cheap weed.) I played a original vinyl pressing of Bowie's Station to Station the other day that floored me. Then again, I've heard some original pressings and reissued 180g releases that are just crap. Just broke the shrink wrap on a new, 180g release of Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs yesterday, waiting to blast "In This Place" and can't tell you what a let down it was - muddy and muted. (It might have just been a bum pressing, but I'm returning it.) I'll pull out my original today to compare. Jazz, I lean vinyl. Blues, vinyl.

I listen to a lot of post rock and put on a great Explosions in the Sky LP last week. Didn't work for me. It wasn't a bad recording, I just felt that the CD was more attuned to Explosion's approach. Same with a lot of modern classical/electroacoustic/ambient things I listen to. I also lean towards digital for classical, but like LP's for opera.

Sorry - perhaps not much of an answer because I'm all over the place and keep my options open. I do, though, hear you about the issues with digital playback. I do tend to try and keep my digital on the "soft" side. I use Mullards and Black Treasures in my Modwright. I have Psvanes in my amps. I had to stay away from silver cables in my new planars.

For me, the Concept gives me everything I need for now in an analog deck. I'll move on at some point, but have no regrets picking it up to get back into vinyl and as a way to broader my listening experiences beyond a purely digital approach. I don't ever see one supplanting the other, and, with so many variables, there's always room for tweaks and improvement.

Scotlynn

« Reply #55 on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:36 pm »
Oh, and BTW, Rooze, not to add to your budget concerns, but with the money I saved on going for a table like the Concept, I was able to pick up what I think is invaluable for someone getting back into vinyl, especially someone like me who looks for $1 records at garage sales, goodwill, etc, and sometimes on ebay - a good record cleaning machine. I managed to pick up a VPI 16.5 on Agon a while back and its done wonders. Of course, you can do just as good of a job by hand, but the VPI has been an amazingly useful product for my old collection.

sunnydaze

« Reply #56 on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:54 pm »
With respect to buying used at your $1800 budget....
If you are patient and diligent in your shopping, something exceptional will appear. 

For example.......

I religiously scour the used markets, and in the past two months I've seen two complete setups (exc condition) that were absolutely smokin' deals.  In both cases I was communicating / negotiating w seller, hemmed and hawed a bit too long, and they both got bought out from underneath me.

Kuzma Stabi table  +  Kuzma Stogi Reference arm  +   Sumiko Celebration cart
MSRP:  $7500   
ask price: $1800. 
sold in three days.

Scheu Premier mk1 table   +   Moerch UP-4 arm   +   Shelter 501 mk2 cart
MSRP:  $6050
ask price:  $1575
sold in less than two days

Insane values at around 25% of list,  and I venture to say both setups will beat just about any digital rig.   Additionally, I suspect they will also probably beat  most, if not all, of the analog setups rec'd in this thread.  (IMHO fellas, calm down).

I admit to being partial to Kuzma, as I own and love the very excellent Stogi Ref arm.  So given a choice of the two, I'd pick the Kuzma setup.   Still regret dragging my feet and missing out on that one! 

The point is, with patience and a constant eye on the used markets, your budget can definitely buy you the SQ you seek.

Good luck in your search!    :thumb:

rooze

« Reply #57 on: 10 Feb 2013, 06:21 pm »
Hey Rooze,
I just did a review of a new pair of speakers I purchased in which I lay out my current set up. You can find it here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113912.0

For me the assessment of cd to lp is not an easy one; it's literally on a recording-by-recording basis, but in general I would say its both different AND equally enjoyable. Case in point - I have Stevie Ray Vaughan on both vinyl and SACD. They both sound great. The vinyl gives me a little more gritty realism that matches perfectly with his delivery, while the SACD gives his guitar playing an edge that is electrifying. If you forced me to generalize, I find that my approach to vinyl vs digital is increasingly becoming one of genre, more than any other factor. I love 70's classic rock on vinyl - the sound, the feel, the whole experience. Yes' Fragile just makes sense to me on the TT. (I'm convinced that its, at least in part, an emotional thing because I grew up in the 70's with a rickety Dual, a load of beat-to-hell Yes/Bowie/Stones/Mott the Hoople records and a big bag of really cheap weed.) I played a original vinyl pressing of Bowie's Station to Station the other day that floored me. Then again, I've heard some original pressings and reissued 180g releases that are just crap. Just broke the shrink wrap on a new, 180g release of Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs yesterday, waiting to blast "In This Place" and can't tell you what a let down it was - muddy and muted. (It might have just been a bum pressing, but I'm returning it.) I'll pull out my original today to compare. Jazz, I lean vinyl. Blues, vinyl.

I listen to a lot of post rock and put on a great Explosions in the Sky LP last week. Didn't work for me. It wasn't a bad recording, I just felt that the CD was more attuned to Explosion's approach. Same with a lot of modern classical/electroacoustic/ambient things I listen to. I also lean towards digital for classical, but like LP's for opera.

Sorry - perhaps not much of an answer because I'm all over the place and keep my options open. I do, though, hear you about the issues with digital playback. I do tend to try and keep my digital on the "soft" side. I use Mullards and Black Treasures in my Modwright. I have Psvanes in my amps. I had to stay away from silver cables in my new planars.

For me, the Concept gives me everything I need for now in an analog deck. I'll move on at some point, but have no regrets picking it up to get back into vinyl and as a way to broader my listening experiences beyond a purely digital approach. I don't ever see one supplanting the other, and, with so many variables, there's always room for tweaks and improvement.
Hey Scotlynn,

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response, and for the great assessment of the GT Audio Works. I had my eye on a pair of those a while back, as I'm a sucker for any planar designs.
It seems we have similar tastes in presentation and also music. I almost bought the Carver Cherry 180's to drive my Carver dipoles, but just had some reservations over their capacity to deliver enough drive for my speakers. (the Black Beauties were out of my price range).

I'm thinking it will be a similar approach for me, using CD for certain formats and vinyl for others. Also, CD for less intense listening sessions and vinyl for when I really want to sit down and chill with a single malt and some classic Genesis  :)

Incidentally, I spun a CD last night that I haven't played in ages, it might be one you'd like - Gus Gus 'This is Normal'. The bass/synth lines are amazing and it's a really good CD all round. (it's an ambient/techno beat type of thing if you haven't heard of 'em, not a genre I have much experience with, but this is outstanding IMHO).
That's an impressive music collection you have there - wow.

Gotcha on the cleaner. I'm going to improvise with a poor-man's cleaning kit from Music Direct for a while, but something like the VPI you mentioned will come along when the time is right.

Cheers

Rooze

rooze

« Reply #58 on: 10 Feb 2013, 06:26 pm »
With respect to buying used at your $1800 budget....
If you are patient and diligent in your shopping, something exceptional will appear. 

For example.......

I religiously scour the used markets, and in the past two months I've seen two complete setups (exc condition) that were absolutely smokin' deals.  In both cases I was communicating / negotiating w seller, hemmed and hawed a bit too long, and they both got bought out from underneath me.

Kuzma Stabi table  +  Kuzma Stogi Reference arm  +   Sumiko Celebration cart
MSRP:  $7500   
ask price: $1800. 
sold in three days.

Scheu Premier mk1 table   +   Moerch UP-4 arm   +   Shelter 501 mk2 cart
MSRP:  $6050
ask price:  $1575
sold in less than two days

Insane values at around 25% of list,  and I venture to say both setups will beat just about any digital rig.   Additionally, I suspect they will also probably beat  most, if not all, of the analog setups rec'd in this thread.  (IMHO fellas, calm down).

I admit to being partial to Kuzma, as I own and love the very excellent Stogi Ref arm.  So given a choice of the two, I'd pick the Kuzma setup.   Still regret dragging my feet and missing out on that one! 

The point is, with patience and a constant eye on the used markets, your budget can definitely buy you the SQ you seek.

Good luck in your search!    :thumb:

Hey Sunnydaze,

Thanks for the info. That was a sad miss on the Kuzma. There was a similar deal on a Roksan Xerxes X that 'expired' on Audiogon a few weeks back, I may try to contact the seller and see if he still has it around.
The British audio mags were full of praise for the original Xerxes when it emerged in the 80's as a strong (and only viable UK made) competitor for the venerable LP12. In fact many people thought it was a better deck than the Linn, but I never got to hear one in person.

"The point is, with patience and a constant eye on the used markets, your budget can definitely buy you the SQ you seek." - that's the reinforcement I'm looking for, thanks  :)

Cheers

Rooze

sunnydaze

« Reply #59 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:20 pm »
No disrespect to your old (and apparently fondly remembered) Linn,
but if that is your SQ reference point,  beating it will not be all that difficult, IMO.  Hey, I used to own a Linn Lingo w Ittok arm.  And you can likely do it well below your $1800 budget. 

As one example,  see my post #4 here for a direct comparo we did:  my buddy's fully tricked out Linn vs my Townshend Rock mk3 w Kuzma Stogi Ref:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98665.msg991931#msg991931

Since it is mid 90's vintage and now aging, the Rock mk3 is rarely seen on the used market.  But occasionally they do appear at about 500 bux.  Slap a used rega arm, or one of its souped up variants, on it and you are in for about $1K, sans cartridge.   

A Linn Akito arm (borrowed from a friend, about $300 used) on my Rock really surprised me with its synergy.  I currently use a Linn Ittok LV-II (about $700 used) temporarily while my Stogi Ref is with Franc for a re-wire.  It too works very well. 

My ex-Linn buddy (mentioned above) liked my Rock/Kuzma setup so much, he bought a Kuzma Stogi (800 bux used) for his Rock.  He previously used a Michell Techno-arm (about $500 used), but much prefers the Stogi on his Rock.

I recently tried a Clearaudio Satisfy Ebony on my Rock, and it was really excellent.  Paid $650 for it used, but my time with it was brief as I had to return to seller d/t a defect.  Many good used arms in the $400 to $800 range that would work very nicely on the Rock.

I also once owned a Kuzma Stabi "s" + Stogi "s" setup....AKA "the pipebomb" in some quarters.  I liked that setup very much and prefer it to Linn.  Can be had for about $1500 used.

Not pushing stuff I own.  Just giving a few "for examples", based on my own personal experience,  at what can be done at your budget, and still beat your Linn reference point.  IMO, anyway.