Re-entry Level Vinyl to 'Improve on' CD...

rooze

Re: Re-entry Level Vinyl to 'Improve on' CD...
« Reply #60 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:47 pm »
No disrespect to your old (and apparently fondly remembered) Linn,
but if that is your SQ reference point,  beating it will not be all that difficult, IMO.  Hey, I used to own a Linn Lingo w Ittok arm.  And you can likely do it well below your $1800 budget. 

Hey Sunnydaze,

The Linn is fondly remembered but I'm not really pushing the Linn sound or even using it as a point of reference, since it's so long ago that I owned it.

I've heard various other TT's more recently, several folks in our local WI audio club have vinyl, so I've hear for example Michell Gyro SE, VPI TNT, Sota Cosmos, Sota Sapphire and a few others.

I haven't seen Kuzma or Townshend being floated much on the classified sites, so I take that as a positive endorsement of how they sound/perform. Whereas there's always a healthy assortment of 'mid-SQ-level' decks to choose from, but I'm trying to avoid those via input from this thread, mostly.

I'll keep looking.

Also, if you (or others) have something specific to sell I don't mind getting a PM, so long as it fits into my price range I'd be happy to take a look.  :) (assuming that doesn't break any forum rules, if it does then strike my last comment).

At this point I'd be leaning heavily towards a deck/arm combo, rather than having to worry about sourcing a compatible arm, mounting geometry etc.

Cheers

Rooze