Bryston and PMC Owners Club Meetup, March 16th @ HiFi Lounge!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston and PMC Owners Club Meetup, March 16th @ HiFi Lounge!
« Reply #40 on: 15 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm »
I can certainly arrange that :wink:

Not too much longer and I'll have my first play with a pair of Bryston 28B's, I've dreamt of owning a pair of these for years now so I can't wait to spend some quality time with them over the next few days.

Hopefully see a few of you tomorrow for the first running of the Bryston and PMC Owners Club :thumb:

Al the best with the show Vipers :thumb:

James

Vipers

« Reply #41 on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:38 pm »
Al the best with the show Vipers :thumb:

James

Thanks James, I have to say I think I've fallen for the 28's :)

Vipers

« Reply #42 on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:41 pm »
Well here we go, after a long day of lugging lots of heavy boxes around and re-organising the whole place, HiFi lounge is even more of a shrine to all things PMC and Bryston that it was before.

I've just put the MB2 SE's and Bryston 28B's through their paces with some Machine Head 'Halo' and Muse's 'Unsustainable' at pretty extreme volume levels, gotta make sure it is all working OK :) and I can safely say that everything is ready to rock.

I know I've been without my MB's for a few weeks now but I'm sure these SE's sound even better, either that or it is the 28B's, the power and speed is just immense, I'm looking forward to comparing the 7B's v the 28B's on the MB2 SE's to hear what the differences are.

One thing I wasn't ready for was the MB's size, they sit far taller than the standard MB's and look very menacing with the SE finish, I think I've fallen in love all over again, they really are a thing of beauty :P

Anyway time to go home for a quick bite then crack on with getting the refreshments ready for tomorrow, here are a few pictures of what awaits tomorrow.

I meant to say, if anyone has got any tracks they want to play then please feel free to bung some on a memory stick, It has also been confirmed that PMC are bringing along some rather special recordings, but still waiting a 100% on those twotwos's.

Hopefully see a a few of you tomorrow for some fun and for what promises to go on long into the evening :)

saveloy

« Reply #43 on: 16 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm »
Another excellent day, with a wonderful turnout.
The 7B vs 28B test revealed that the 28 rocks!!!  It's uncanny how much faster the 28 is & how much more energy they give the MB2 SEs. 
PMC royalty Pete Thomas & Tom Barron were in attendance, along with PMC staff members.  Pete happily answered a barrage of questions (from myself mostly), told stories and was a real joy.
Well done again Paul, for a well organised and incredibly enjoyable day. 

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm »
Another excellent day, with a wonderful turnout.
The 7B vs 28B test revealed that the 28 rocks!!!  It's uncanny how much faster the 28 is & how much more energy they give the MB2 SEs. 
PMC royalty Pete Thomas & Tom Barron were in attendance, along with PMC staff members.  Pete happily answered a barrage of questions (from myself mostly), told stories and was a real joy.
Well done again Paul, for a well organised and incredibly enjoyable day. 

Kyri

Great to hear  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  Maybe there's hope for us crazed audiophiles after all!!!

james

saveloy

« Reply #45 on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm »
Great to hear  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  Maybe there's hope for us crazed audiophiles after all!!!

james

Coming over for the next one, James?!

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm »
Coming over for the next one, James?!

Kyri

That sure would be fun.  :thumb:

James

saveloy

« Reply #47 on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm »

James

Well, Pete did say you like a beer or three......  We could combine both loves!

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:15 pm »
Well, Pete did say you like a beer or three......  We could combine both loves!

Kyri

Ya when I use to do the shows with him in the USA back a ways we would sometimes over indulge  :duh:

James

saveloy

« Reply #49 on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm »
Ya when I use to do the shows with him in the USA back a ways we would sometimes over indulge  :duh:

James

I can tell you that this one was quite a sober affair.  Tea, coffee, biscuits and sandwiches.  Crisps, nuts, quiche......Sausages, chocolates and assorted cold beverages. 

Kyri

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #50 on: 17 Mar 2013, 11:13 am »

James

If James were to join your gathering,
I would be greatly temped to hop over the channel.

Feel a lot of temptation as it is!
Whish I was there,

Bob

Alpha10

« Reply #51 on: 17 Mar 2013, 04:44 pm »

james

You missed a good day James. Those 28B's are absolutely beautiful and drove the MB2SE's with SO much power and control, I just sat there amazed.

You really should come over!

Cheers

Alpha10

« Reply #52 on: 17 Mar 2013, 04:45 pm »
I can tell you that this one was quite a sober affair.  Tea, coffee, biscuits and sandwiches.  Crisps, nuts, quiche......Sausages, chocolates and assorted cold beverages. 

Kyri

Except for me as I had too much red wine the night before and had a bit of a hangover, when I arrived, but the 28B/MB2SE combo soon cleared that  :oops:

Cheers

Vipers

« Reply #53 on: 17 Mar 2013, 07:05 pm »
Hi Guys,

Great to see everyone yesterday, I had far too much fun, a massive thanks to everyone that came along and made the day such a success, roll on the 2nd owners club meet-up :thumb:

James, it would be an honour if you wanted to come over for the next Bryston/PMC owners club Meetup, watch out for Saveloy though, he does like to ask a question or 2 as Peter found out yesterday :wink:

I've just posted this on my blog so rather than write it all out again I just thought I'r re-post it on here, I have to say though I can't stop thinking about those 28's, totally amazing.

Hi Everyone,

Both myself and Wendy would just like to say a massive thank you to everyone who came to our first PMC and Bryston Owners Club Meetup at HiFi Lounge Yesterday, especially considering we had people arrive from all over the country, the furthest I found out about was from Liverpool, but we had people from London, Kent, south coast and the surrounding counties which just goes to show the lure of both PMC and Bryston, also another thanks to everyone who came for making it such a fantastic day which was more fun than should really be allowed when I’m supposed to be calling this work, it was great to see so many familiar faces but also so many new ones and also being able to meet so many of the guys from the PMC and Bryston owners threads on AVForums and also Audiocircle, it is great at long last to be able to put faces to names.

A special thanks must also go to Tom Baron and Peter Thomas for giving up their Saturday and helping make the day so memorable and so much fun, every time I saw them they were surrounded by enthusiasts full of questions which they both seemed to enjoy answering and also thanks to the other guys and gals that came along from PMC for helping out and Keith for sorting out all the freebies which didn't last long I have to say.

But for me the star of the show, other than Wendy who seemed to be making tea and coffee constantly all day, was the amazing MB2 SE’s, I spent all day from 7.00 am to 9.00 pm listening to them and not once did they get over powering or fatiguing, all day they played all variety’s of music in such an effortless and engrossing way, but when pushed a little harder with one customers cd with some ridiculous bass, they just stepped up to the challenge and performed, I have really never heard anything like it, thank god for the skeletal structure around the bass cone for keeping them in control, those bass cones really were doing their best to escape :) The only down side being that I think the building was struggling to cope, I have just come back from tidying up from yesterday and have found large chunks of plaster on the floor from the ceiling in the office, perhaps I’d better get a structural engineer in during the week to check it out :-) If anyone couldn’t get along yesterday it looks like I may have the MB2 SE’s and 28’s for a little while longer so if you’d like to experience something a little special please feel free to pop in.

Although I spent all day in the upstairs room with the MB’s and 28’s, it’s a though life, the only drawback being that I didn’t get a chance to hear the new twotwo.5’s, at the end of the day I came down to listen to them but Tom had packed them up but from everyone’s comments who did listen to them they have said that they are quite an amazing speaker, especially considering their size, the only time I heard them was when I was in the upstairs room and they were trying to drown out the MB’s, which was quite a shocker, to be honest everyone was convinced that there must have been a sub on with the twotwo’s but there wasn’t, honest. I have ordered a pair of twotwo.6’s for demo so it will be great to have the time to sit down and listen to them properly.

At the end of the day a few of us stayed behind for a little shoot-out, Bryston 7B SST2’s v the 28B SST2’s on the MB2 SE’s, it was certainly interesting but after an hour or two of listening to a variety of music and switching between the 2 amps everyone agreed that the 28’s were the amps to go for on the MB2 SE’s, that is not to say that the 7B’s didn’t do a cracking job and at one point a couple of the guys preferred them but after some more tracks the 28’s really shone through, playing Michael Jacksons ‘PYT’ really bought the differences out, With the 28’s there was certainly more drive but more importantly they had more control so everything stopped and started instantly which gave a cleaner presentation but it also seemed to have more pace, rhythm and timing, to steal a phrase from Naim, the music just seemed to flow better but strangely everything really did seem a tad faster with the 28’s, was the difference worth the extra £10,000 over the price of the 7B’s? that is a difficult one, if you are in the market and can afford it I would say definitely yes, but then that is basically the price of an SP3 so quite a difficult one really, the trouble is once you know these things you can’t delete it and with my MB2 SE’s coming shortly I can’t stop thinking about those 28’s now, they really have ruined me.

So anyway, that is enough rambling, thanks again to everyone who came yesterday and was involved in making it such a success and so much fun, if you couldn’t get along to the first PMC and Bryston Owners Club Meetup don’t worry as plans are already being made for the second meetup which could be sooner rather than later and will be focusing on a new and very exciting product from PMC that I’m extremely keen to hear, hopefully we'll have something new from Bryston also, watch this space ;)

Thanks again,

Paul.

Here are a couple of pictures, I hope they don’t embarrass anyone.

Everyone Listening Intently

PMC twenty.23’s and the twotwo.5’s

Tom’s PMC Dance School :)

Peter deep in conversation

The word ‘Awesome’ got used alot.

It all got a little cosy at times

Peter sharing more of his wisdom

I think we’re going to need a bigger room next time

Thanks again everyone for a great day! :thumb:

saveloy

« Reply #54 on: 18 Mar 2013, 12:24 am »
Last photo - Paul is the very smiley one on the end of the sofa.  He looks like this on a daily basis.  The man in the middle, hiding beneath a cap (we know him as Brian), has just realised what is clearly obvious to the rest of us in the building.  28Bs kick their little brother 7B into next month. 
The fool!!!!!

Kyri

Vipers

« Reply #55 on: 19 Mar 2013, 08:35 pm »
28Bs kick their little brother 7B into next month. 
The fool!!!!!

Kyri

This really is proving quite a problem, I have sold my demo 7B's, so now the million dollar question is whether to replace with another pair of 7B's, definitely the sensible option as I am supposed to be running HiFi Lounge as a business, but after hearing how much better the 28's were on the MB2 SE's over the weekend the little Bryston devil on my shoulder keeps whispering 28B into my conscience and considering HiFi Lounge is my also my listening room I'm starting to agree him, I've said it many, many times, sometimes ignorance is bliss :roll:

What to do  :?

Alpha10

« Reply #56 on: 19 Mar 2013, 08:40 pm »
This really is proving quite a problem, I have sold my demo 7B's, so now the million dollar question is whether to replace with another pair of 7B's, definitely the sensible option as I am supposed to be running HiFi Lounge as a business, but after hearing how much better the 28's were on the MB2 SE's over the weekend the little Bryston devil on my shoulder keeps whispering 28B into my conscience and considering HiFi Lounge is my also my listening room I'm starting to agree him, I've said it many, many times, sometimes ignorance is bliss :roll:

If I am quiet in work tomorrow I will pop in again to help you decide, BUT, I am probably the worst person to ask aren't I   :o

Cheers

adol290

« Reply #57 on: 19 Mar 2013, 09:39 pm »

I Know..........

I had the 7B's with my IB2's.

I then upgraded to 28B's, and OMG. I will never let them go until the 28B sst3.

When i bought them I also looked at the possibility of a future upgrade to the MB2's, which
 should be in my hands within a week.  :D

Vipers

« Reply #58 on: 20 Mar 2013, 10:20 am »
Thanks Guys, you really aren't helping :|

You are going to love the MB's adol290, they are a clear step up from the IB's, a bit like the 28's are from the 7's I guess.

See you later Alpha :thumb:

Alpha10

« Reply #59 on: 21 Mar 2013, 07:47 pm »
Thanks Guys, you really aren't helping :|

You are going to love the MB's adol290, they are a clear step up from the IB's, a bit like the 28's are from the 7's I guess.

See you later Alpha :thumb:

The 28B's are mighty beasts - I wish I could unhear them - they really are very special especially when matched to the MB2SE's, the Damien Rice track Crimes was the one for me out of all we played. I think we concluded if you just heard the 7B's you would be so happy, BUT, once you have heard the 28B's, well that is all folks, goodnight.

Now, I just have to go and buy some extra Lotto tickets, again....

Cheers