FRANKENSTRATOS - My Finished Amplifiers

OSIB16

FRANKENSTRATOS - My Finished Amplifiers
« on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:42 am »
Attached below are photos of my finished modified Kismet Stratos Monoblocks. I know they need a good dust. Modifications are by Jeff Glowacki at Sonic Craft using the finest and most Exotic parts available anywhere. Mods are as follows...

MUNDORF SILVER OIL (POWER SUPPLY BYPASS CAP).
BLACK GATE NX's and CORNELL DUBILIER (POWER SUPPLY ELECTROLYTIC CAPS).
CUSTOM MADE 800VA TORRROIDAL TRANSFORMER (WOUND WITH 'PAUL SPELTZ' 'ANTI-CABLES' WIRE / 16AWG / 99.999% PURITY).
CUSTOM WOUND INDUCTORS (UPOCC COPPER / 99.9999% PURITY).
HIFI TUNING SOLID SILVER FUSES.
BLACK GATE N, BLACK GATE K ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS,
MILLS RESISTORS,
FURUTECH RCA SOCKETS (UPOCC COPPER / 99.9999% PURITY)
FAIRCHILD STEALTH DIODES.
NEOTECH UPOCC COPPER WIRING (99.9999% PURITY)
CARDAS 9.5AWG STRANDED LITZ COPPER MAINS CABLE (HARDWIRED TO TRANSFORMER)

« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2018, 03:24 pm by OSIB16 »

rikhav

Re: FRANKENSTRATOS - My Finished Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm »
As it is the Stratos of built to such a great level by Klaus, yours is totally maxed out upgrades

Can you post your listening impressions and area of improvement in sound comparing the stock stratos

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:52 pm »
Yes, above, and how much did these mods cost you!

OSIB16

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:59 pm »
The sound is now significantly more 'REAL' and 'THERE IN THE ROOM'. Basically it's 25% more Holographic than the Stratos Extremes.  I spent approximately $5000 total on these modifications.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2013, 10:58 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:07 pm »
HUGE SINGLE 'CORNELL DUBILIER' 74,000UF CAP....

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2013, 03:13 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:09 pm »

OSIB16

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:14 pm »

OSIB16

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:19 pm »
FURUTECH RCA SOCKET HARDWIRED DIRECTLY TO THE BOARD...

OSIB16

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:56 pm »
CARDAS MAINS CABLE SOLDERED DIRECTLY TO TORROIDAL TRANSFORMER.......

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:56 pm »
5000 for mods/upgrades wow hope your happy.

lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:28 pm »
I prefer monoblocks, as I consider all single boxed units to be a comprimise. Been thru the whole string of mono blocks with what seems like an ever growing power supply in each unit. But will confess that I've never heard the Kismet, and doubt I ever will. Klaus did do a version of the Stratos called "the Gary mod." Once again I've never heard one, and they are somewhat rare to be found anyway. I currently (and have for a good while) use the first "glas cieling modded" Statos monoblocks. I seriously doubt there's much more to be gained after this upgrade is done. Lets face it you end up with 90% of a Symphonic Line amp for about $3K a pair. Now it's also common knowledge that you just don't get much better than the Symphonic Line amps, and of course you pay thru the nose for them.

Now I see you are asking 5000 for the upgrade! Is that Euros or Dollars? Either way a guy would have to be on the way to the rubber room to do this!! For that kinda cash (donor amp plus the mods) you could buy a nice used Conrad Johnson Premier 140 set of amps that would flat smoke what your selling. Or another way to look at this is that you could have a pair of glass ceiling monoblocks and one hell of a nice preamp with a couple cases of beer to boot. Lastly; before I get off here. Match sticks don't make good isolators!
gary

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:31 pm »
I spent approximately $5000 total on these modifications.
$ :o , :o :o :o :o

Cacophonix

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:55 pm »
I am glad that you are very happy with the upgrades...but i can't help wonder what klaus would've done for that kind of money.

OSIB16

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2013, 08:01 pm »
Lazydays,

I am not selling these, nor do I ever intend to sell them at any stage. I bet my Modded Stratos Mono's will smoke the standard Kismet, and I know that it definitely blows away the Conrad Johnson 140 for that matter. I've heard the Conrad's already, the Modded Stratos is significantly more holographic and in the room. Much higher grade parts are used here - Neotech UPOCC copper wire and top of the range Black Gate and Mundorf Silver Oil Caps, compared to Groneberg OFC wire and Nichicon caps . Just 'one' of those Black Gate's mounted on my Stratos PCB now has a market value of $400.00 (DOLLARS!). Also there are no sockets (apart from one PCB surface mount RCA socket), everything is hard wired here, just look in the photo showing the the mains's cable soldered directly onto the torroidal transformer  The reason I paid near $5000 (Dollars) for the upgrade to my Mono's is down to the fact that the 'Stock' untouched STRATOS EXTREME MONO'S has one of the very finest FOUNDATIONS for building a 'Mega Amp' anywhere at any price. Basically you could call my amps GARY Mark 2's because they are a variation of them and the next level up. By the way Jeff Glowacki at SONIC CRAFT originally designed the GARY's all those years ago..
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2018, 05:49 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2013, 10:16 pm »
By the way matchsticks are not used anywhere on these amps as isolators, I can only assume that you are referring to the area underneath the huge blue Cornell Dubilier capacitors.   What you are referring to are actually clear plastic cable ties which are used in strapping the caps onto the heatsinks.

I prefer monoblocks, as I consider all single boxed units to be a comprimise. Been thru the whole string of mono blocks with what seems like an ever growing power supply in each unit. But will confess that I've never heard the Kismet, and doubt I ever will. Klaus did do a version of the Stratos called "the Gary mod." Once again I've never heard one, and they are somewhat rare to be found anyway. I currently (and have for a good while) use the first "glas cieling modded" Statos monoblocks. I seriously doubt there's much more to be gained after this upgrade is done. Lets face it you end up with 90% of a Symphonic Line amp for about $3K a pair. Now it's also common knowledge that you just don't get much better than the Symphonic Line amps, and of course you pay thru the nose for them.

Now I see you are asking 5000 for the upgrade! Is that Euros or Dollars? Either way a guy would have to be on the way to the rubber room to do this!! For that kinda cash (donor amp plus the mods) you could buy a nice used Conrad Johnson Premier 140 set of amps that would flat smoke what your selling. Or another way to look at this is that you could have a pair of glass ceiling monoblocks and one hell of a nice preamp with a couple cases of beer to boot. Lastly; before I get off here. Match sticks don't make good isolators!
gary

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:20 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  Looks very nice.

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:27 pm »
Awesome. What are your speakers? 

OSIB16

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm »
Martin Logan CLS IIz full range electrostatics. Also heavily modified by SONIC CRAFT.

Awesome. What are your speakers?

BobC

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:15 am »
While I would have spent my money differently, it doesn't make the OP wrong. If he's happy and has the cheddar then more power to him.   However I may worry about resale value.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:23 am »
I agree they look amazing.
I only find that price difficult is because I am always changing things and if I put that much in an amp it would be my final amp acquisition. I live for changing system frequently , it brings me joy as your amp does you. I would however consider trying direct wire on some of my stuff also, sounds interesting.