FRANKENSTRATOS - My Finished Amplifiers

OSIB16

Re: FRANKENSTRATOS - My Finished Amplifiers
« Reply #40 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:44 pm »
OK, Jeff from Sonic Craft asked me to clarify a few things here on this thread. First of all, I originally shipped my STRATOS EXTREMES to him in Texas, he looked them over. Then he suggested what modifications could be done to my Stratos Amps to take them to the next level. He actually didn't perform them personally in his workshop. I purchased many of the parts from his company and commissioned a local guy here in the UK to install them all. Some of Jeffs suggestions I chose not to go with and used a few alternative components due to tight funds. Below is a list of stuff purchased 'over time' from Sonic Craft that are presently installed in the amps (Prices included)...

FOUR - BLACK GATE N 100V / 2200UF ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS     ( $1596.00 )

FOUR - BLACK GATE N 16V / 470UF ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS     ( $75.80 )

EIGHT - FAIRCHILD STEALTH POWER DIODES 30A / 600V  ( $25.60 )

TWO - FURUTECH FP901 RHODIUM RCA SOCKETS     ( $215.06 )

NUMEROUS - MILLS RESISTORS   ( APPROX $40.00 )

FOUR - MUNDORF SILVER/OIL 0.1UF FILM CAPACITORS    ( $107.36 )

SIX METERS - NEOTECH 14AWG UPOCC COPPER PVC WIRE    ( $47.43 )

CARDAS 9.5AWG COPPER WIRE  ( $70.00 )

NEOTECH STRANDED 12AWG COPPER WIRE  ( $60 )

NEOTECH SOLID CORE 12AWG COPPER WIRE  ( $40.00 )

The remainder of the approximate $5000 cost (or was it $4000? hmm!) was spent on 400 METERS of 16 Gauge Paul Speltz's ANTI-CABLE wire for winding the 2 huge torroidal transformers, plus the constructing fee. Not forgetting the shipping to and from USA fees for the actual amplifiers and purchased parts. Then there was the cost of the labour I was charged for installing everything into the amps.

Sonny

« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2013, 11:21 pm »
$5000 on a single chassis Strato's??????

You could have got
-A fully recapped Krell FPB 600
-Mark Levinson ML-336
-Jeff Rowland Model 8Ti

-Pass Labs X-350.5

And when you wanted a change,sold them and get all your money back.
One day you will see what I mean

Tell me where I can get a Pass 350.5 for $5k!  Please??? :thumb:

OSIB16

« Reply #42 on: 21 Aug 2013, 12:23 am »
Actually I paid approx $4000 to $5000 'Total' for mods to both Stratos Monoblock chassis'

figcon

« Reply #43 on: 21 Aug 2013, 02:03 am »
Hello...Are you really using the CLS's without subs? I haveva friend here in Asheville with a pair and w/o his subs turned on, they are pretty lean sounding. I  admire the lengths you have gone. I have no idea how your system sounds, but wish you the best of luck.

OSIB16

« Reply #44 on: 21 Aug 2013, 09:02 pm »
Hello...Are you really using the CLS's without subs? I haveva friend here in Asheville with a pair and w/o his subs turned on, they are pretty lean sounding. I  admire the lengths you have gone. I have no idea how your system sounds, but wish you the best of luck.

No I use my CLS IIz's with a modified BK MONOLITH Subwoofer.