mcgsxr's basement build

ctviggen

Re: mcgsxr's basement build
« Reply #60 on: 2 Mar 2013, 09:17 pm »
Sorry; had a child on my lap.  These can carry at least 4 sets of wires and hold the wires at the proper depth. 

By the way, the spray foam insulation insulates and seals, but does not provide a thermal break.

mcgsxr

« Reply #61 on: 2 Mar 2013, 10:19 pm »
Right, I think I got my phrases wrong, I am aware that spray foam needs a fire rated covering, I am using 5/8 drywall everywhere it was sprayed.  Then again, Mike Holmes mentions that closed cell spray foam does provide a thermal break in this article.  I am likely confused though.

http://www.nationalpost.com/related/topics/Mike+Holmes+Give+thermal+break/4543718/story.html

I agree that RAW's ideas are cool, but I am not working up a dedicated space, and I think I would invest more if I was.  The 23 pot lights have basically made all hope of containing sound pointless.  But, I am still doing the Roxul.

I think if I had it to do over, I would have actually run my low voltage first, and then made the electrician work around my wires!  As it is, I have no parallel runs of Romex and LV, but there are places I had to go the long way to avoid it, and there are a couple of times where the wires pass closer than I would have liked, but always at 90 degrees.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #62 on: 3 Mar 2013, 01:33 am »
Mike Holmes is awesome.
Althought I don't think I'd want him inspecting my house.  :peek: ..........................  :oops:

ctviggen

« Reply #63 on: 3 Mar 2013, 03:45 pm »
Mike Holmes is both good and bad.  There are things he does on the show that aren't really required.  For instance, he took out a microwave oven over a stove because code supposedly required this to be done to create 30+ inches of clearance between the top of the stove and nearest element above the stove.  However, at least where I live, over-the-stove microwave ovens are designed, well, to be over the stove, and closer than 30 inches from the top of the stove.  (It would have to be that way -- imagine if a microwave oven was 2.5 feet above the top of the stove; it'd be unusable unless you're a basketball player.)

On the other hand, he does good work when he's right.

At least he points out how broken the system is (or at least used to be).  Everyone is in cahoots to cause a transaction to go through.  Anyone preventing the transaction from going through won't get repeat business.  When I bought my current home, my inspector sucked.  For instance, this house has two sliders in vertical alignment.  The bottom slider's header wasn't sized correctly and the top of the slider was warped.  You could walk up and see the warping (which I realized once I tried to put on the screen, which inexplicably wasn't on -- I couldn't get the screen on because the top was warped).  As another example, the space between the garages had wood on asphalt (instead of having concrete of a few inches to lift the wood off the asphalt).  That caused rotten wood, which went so far as to "infect" multiple pieces of sheathing and a header over the garage.  As another example, the deck was connected directly to the house with no flashing.  Many thousands of dollars later, we've corrected all of these.

My view of a thermal break could be incorrect.  But if you fill a cavity with anything and you have a system where there's drywall, then studs, then outside sheathing and wall covering, there's no thermal break.  (Heat/cold passes between drywall, stud, and sheathing/covering.)  You'll lose 10-20% of the R value because of this.  A true thermal break would be sheet-type insulation between the stud and the sheathing (or between the sheathing and the wall covering).  That way, this breaks the path from inside the house to outside the house. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the final result here.  It's always fun to see that happens in builds like these. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #64 on: 3 Mar 2013, 05:57 pm »
I am with you CT, Mike is fun to watch, and does take everything to the extreme.  It does make for entertaining TV though, and often showcases brutally shoddy work.

I actually did move my microwave up to code during our recent kitchen reno.  I'd have to measure, so I am not sure what the spacing from stove top to bottom of over the range microwave is, but it is flush with upper cabinets, whereas before it was much lower.  Since we went from electric range to gas range, I popped for the new cabinet to bring the microwave up higher at that time. 

I am only 5'8, and I can use it.  The cabinet above it though, is a big reach for short guys like me.

As for the thermal break, I have no idea.  I am just a lay person doing the best I can.  I did a ton of research, and most said that spray foam was all you needed inside the wall cavity.   The exterior of the home (above grade) is wrapped with Tyvek.  Then the concrete foundation.  Then the spray foam.  The wooden studs were spaced off the foundation walls to allow the foam to be in contact with both.  The framing is much sturdier now.  The drywall will go right over the studs now, no need for vapor barrier etc.

In any case, the build is fun, and i appreciate the help along the way that folks have given. 

I am not a fan of doing insulation, it is dirty work.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 3 Mar 2013, 07:23 pm »
I agree Mike Holmes can get carried away, but I think some of that is for show. Some of it might be Canadian building codes I'm not framiliar with as well?

Here's my quick funny story:

12 years ago, I was the general contractor on my own house, and also helped to built it.
One particular day, the "Code guy" came out and was giving me the results of what he had found. One of my sub-contractors was standing in, listening to the conversation.
He said he was going to fail the plumbing because it didn't have a ground strap. The sub-contrctor and I looked at each other, then back at "Mr. Code" and asked him how we're supposed to ground CPVC plumbing (it's a type of plastic).

The code guy just scratched that one off his list without saying a word. Dumbass.  :duh:

Anyway....great thread Mark. Rock on dude.  :thumb:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #66 on: 3 Mar 2013, 07:45 pm »
From the pics I see it looks like your wood studs were spaced away from the wall, the void behind is filled with styro
so you should be fine......whats an inch of foam R5? the 2x4 is R2 and your foundation wall is prob R4-5. The big thing
is that youve stopped the cold being radiated from the concrete walls.

I've been a wall and ceiling contractor for over 30 yrs, Mike is, well entertainment, and he should be treated as such.
He is a deck builder, that became famous, I dont think he even has a trade ticket.
I remember an episode where he was reno a basement and he came across steel studs.
He was calling them all sorts of garbage and crap......the Canadian wall and ceiling bureau didnt take kind to that.
A few episodes later steel studs were the best thing since sliced bread......made me laugh.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:14 pm »
I remember an episode where he was reno a basement and he came across steel studs.
He was calling them all sorts of garbage and crap......the Canadian wall and ceiling bureau didnt take kind to that.
A few episodes later steel studs were the best thing since sliced bread......made me laugh.
I remembr that episode. I was thinking they're used in commercial/industrial building for years, why can't houses have it?
So yea, I caught that one too.  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #68 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:21 pm »
The majority of the walls were framed 1 inch off the foundation.  The one wall where the display will go was framed 2 inches off.  The foam is behind them all yes.   It is 2lb closed cell, so theoretically 6 per inch.  Potentially 12 for what I have had installed on the walls.  4 inches or so was blown into the joist headers, where I understand the majority of heat loss actually occurs in our climate up here.

One memorable Holmes eposide was him with the infared camera, poking at folks using steel studs in exterior walls.  He said if you want to use them, use them on interior walls, so that was also after the one where he must have got in some hot water for the commentary on them.  I like the show, and know that he is over the top.  I like all the HGTV shows, and am much more comfortable overseeing work, and taking on the odd job myself having seen them.

My electrican says that an apprentice must have wired my home, he had to rewire a bunch of things on the main floor as the lines from the basement were tied into stuff up above.  Glad it was taken care of, and looking forward to watching a movie down there some month!

Below is a shot of the ceiling.  I have finally finished putting up the Roxul.  Glad that is over.

I still have to insulate pieces of the interior walls, and will insulate the bulkhead once that is built too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:24 pm »
I'll bet that room passes 'the clap test", right about now.  :thumb:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #70 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:53 pm »
I remembr that episode. I was thinking they're used in commercial/industrial building for years, why can't houses have it?
So yea, I caught that one too.  :lol:

You just treat them differently, instead of insulation you use an EIFS system.....an envelope of styro or ridgid insulation
on the exterior, you leave the stud spaces empty. Stands for: Exterior insulation finishing system.
The tallest free standing steel stud building I've built was the "Hilton hotel" in Edmonton, it was an EIFS building,
but almost all commercial structures up this way are now. Weve built over 50 steel stud houses in the last 15 yrs as well.

mcgsxr, your room is turning out wonderful. Its nice to see the progress youve made in the last weeks.
Thanks for taking the time to document your work, its a great tool for others that are considering DIY.
I know your going to enjoy it and all the hard work will be more than worth it.... :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #71 on: 3 Mar 2013, 09:37 pm »
Sorry Wolfy, no beer in the pic.

Ahhh....come on Mark....they have some good beer in Canada.... :beer:

Nice work so far... :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #72 on: 3 Mar 2013, 09:58 pm »
Sorry in advance if this is a side track on Mike Holmes / Holmes Inspection, but just felt compelled to make comment / criticism :  doing work on a property that you have inspected is a clear conflict of interest because it potentially compromises the inspection either by reporting on non existent problems or overstating / over reporting the problems that do exist. MH is actually clearly guilty of the latter, but we brush it off because the work is "free" to the homeowner (though not to the show's producers). In some cases the extent of work they do costs close to or potentially more than the property is worth - and causes the homeowners considerable anguish and disruption having to live away from home for  extended periods of time while they fix everything. They almost would have done the homeowner more of a service by helping them find a new home and compensating then for the out of pocket difference. That of course won't necessarily make for good TV or line MHs pocket.

Sorry for the rant. I'm in the home inspection business and this show for the reasons mentioned sometimes makes my blood boil. I'm probably in the minority trying to put the inspection results in context of cost / benefit vs just listing out every problem regardless of significance or cost / benefit to address. There is such a thing as good enough.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 3 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm »
There is such a thing as good enough.
Absolutely!
While I do love Mike and love watching his shows, he's clearly demonstrated that money is no object. There was one show where the home turned out to be FULL of black mold inside the walls. After 100% demo of the entire interior of the house, from rafters to basement floor, he then installed a state fo the art air and water filteration system. A system so complex, it took up a large section of the basement to house all of the equipment.

I was blown away. He fixed the cause and effect, but why this intricate system of air and water purification? I can't imagine how much those systems cost.  :scratch:

Oh well....Mike can do a show about my house anytime. I'd be more than happy to relocate for a couple months.  :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #74 on: 3 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm »
Coming along nicely it looks like.  Now the fun of drywall, tape, mud, SAND!, vacuum, vacuum, change filter, vacuum, etc.  :duh:

Bryan

RAW

« Reply #75 on: 3 Mar 2013, 11:32 pm »
Coming along nicely it looks like.  Now the fun of drywall, tape, mud, SAND!, vacuum, vacuum, change filter, vacuum, etc.  :duh:

Bryan

I attempted my HT room and after 1 day  :banghead: :banghead: :slap: :cuss:

Looked around got someone to finish my HT room as well as the other 1500sqft in the basement.Best thing I did.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #76 on: 3 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm »
Personally, I really don't mind the drywall, tape, and mud. It's the sanding that I hate (and the cleanup afterward).  I try to wet sand as much as possible with a sponge but there's always some parts that need to be dry sanded.  Come out looking like the Pillsbury dough boy...  :shake:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 3 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm »
Amen to that. ^

mcgsxr

« Reply #78 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:30 am »
I have no concerns about discussing Mike Holmes, fire away.  I lie the show, and have learned things. 

Appreciate the PM from bpape.  I will do my best!

This has been a long project, and has taken a lot of time already.  Way more than a recent kitchen Reno, or the fireplace redo.

Off to bed!

mcgsxr

« Reply #79 on: 5 Mar 2013, 10:25 pm »
Spent some time measuring and dry fitting that sub into the wall, will fit fine and I can also generate a small built in shelf beside it for a Wii or whatever gaming console my kids want. 

Added more wiring for futureproofing.

The bulkhead/soffit is now WIP.

Drywall arrived today, was well worth it to pay a little more and they carried it all downstairs.  That 5/8ths stuff sure is heavy!  The blue stuff is the 1/2 inch mold resistant that will be all walls, while the 5/8ths is for the ceilings.  Drywalling both sides of the utility wall, not that it likely needs it, but my old furnace was really loud, so I am paranoid that the new one will suddenly start up.  Figure it is simple enough to do, and might as well do it now.

Here too is a shot of my wiring up the DVC subs, not in the pic is the multimeter, need to make sure I end up with 4ohms!