OB subwoofer for Omega 6

Nikosteel

OB subwoofer for Omega 6
« on: 9 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm »
Hi all

I'm italian guy fell across omega 1 years ago and...Love!!

Never heard better sounding speaker to my ears..and i listen a lot of commercial brand

Anyway i'm running Omega super 6 alnico with miniwatt N3 and feel something lacking in bass zone

Now...i don't want to compromise the perfect medium band of omega...so i'm thinking to use 2 sub in OB with 15 or 12 "?...i don't have experince with this but figured out bas from OB is really tuneful and smooth

Your 2 cents?

Thank you very much for helping

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: OB subwoofer for Omega 6
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:27 am »
Hello Nikosteel,

I would upgrade my amp before buying subs.  What Super 6 are you running; tower or monitor?  Running the Miniwatt, you probably have not even heard what your speakers are capable of.  By the way, what is "OB"?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:14 am »

Nikosteel

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:50 am »
Hi Rob

Thanks for your suggestion

I have tried kingrex t20, virtue one, diy ta2022 and some solid state amplifier...so far to my ears miniwatt is the best match with my super 6 monitor..i really love the sweet sound from this little ampli

Now...i'd like to remain in SET world...any suggestion? Do you think with other set i could have more in low end than miniwatt?

Anyway i am not a fan of bass...i find omega very linear, just would like a little bit more foundation for my music when listening rock

Last...thanks Louis for your work :D....i have never been in my life so involved in music, expecially late night with some good ecm jazz...

Ciao

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:51 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle Nikosteel!

I agree with Canada Rob, I'd look for a more powerful amp first (one that can provide a "commanding grip" on the speaker).  Also note that many old fashioned tube amps have exaggerated bass that can (if carefully matched) work well in a case like this.

Don't know how much you know about OB, but the term "OB subwoofer" is almost nonsensical in my opinion as the front/back waves tend to cancel each other as they get longer (as frequency lowers) because the front and back waves are out of phase with each other.  This equation defines length of soundwaves in air:  343 meters/Hz.  So a 34 Hz sound wave is roughly 10 meters long, meaning that unless you have a very large baffle the out of phase front and back waves will cancel.

A better solution if you are opposed to "box" subwoofers (sealed or ported of some sort) is infinite baffle where the woofer is mounted into the wall/floor/ceiling of the house.  Rule of thumb says to look for a space 4 - 10 times the driver's rated Vas.  And be careful of where you install.  Consider temperature extremes, vermin, and most importantly who/what is on the backside of the wall/floor/ceiling (slamming doors can blow out the woofer and obviously occupants in that rear space will hear the woofer too).

Good fortune and good listening.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:14 pm »
Don't pay any attention to JLM.

A pair of higher qts 12" or 15" drivers (helper woofers) can provide satisfying bass augmentation to your Omegas.
I would suggest that you post again in the OB circle that I linked since you will probably get more traffic and help there.

I would also suggest that you try a different amp, the XRS 6s should have decent bass on their own.
Depending on the size of your room, how far away you sit, the type of music, and the levels you listen at 2 watts may not be enough and it will show itself in the bass first.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:34 pm »
Agreed, my OB subs will play 100db at 20Hz...

Maybe JLM hasn't heard of GR Research  :thumb:

Pair of boxes for $300 here if you are quick:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109585.msg1175458#msg1175458

A thread on the subs:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99774.0

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:46 pm »
I must be missing something, your links are for sealed servo subs?  :scratch:

Have a look here Niko: http://www.hifizine.com/2012/12/subwoofer-origami/

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:53 pm »
Apologies my mistake, that second link is irrelevant. I have the GR OBs in my Super Vs.

jparkhur may make H frame OB flat packs in future but they are easy enough to DIY (or W frame as per GR plans).

These are the OB subs:

http://gr-research.com/sw-12-16fr.aspx

2 of those and this amp per side is what I have:

http://gr-research.com/a370peq.aspx

:thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2013, 05:47 pm »
Thanks guys.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2013, 06:04 pm »
I also agree with a larger amp.

A GM70 amp might be a good choice, but a lot of cash...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110843.0

I have an EL34 SET, it puts out about 5 wpc in triode and almost double that in UL mode. It's a great amp and a lot less cash than a ~15wpc SET.

As far as a subwoofer, there are Omega brand subs. They are not OB, but I feel like OB and sealed subs have trade offs and one isn't better than the other. If you cross over your sub abound 50Hz it should blend in with the Omegas really well. But be careful and make sure to get a sub that's fast and musical, otherwise it will not blend in with the Omegas very well.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2013, 01:45 am »
I have Super 6 Alinico Monitors and Deep Hemp Sub. With 15 watt RWA Signature 15/16. I run Omega Deep Hemp from amp speaker output terminals. I've owned Vandersteen 2W and one other sub (brand / model escape me) in the past. No experience with OB subs. I like what the Deep Hemp brings to the picture. Not a bass heavy sub, if you know what I mean. You don't know it's there until you turn it off. About 200 watts per channel.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2013, 06:53 pm »
Thank you opnly bafld for the translation.  It must have been late when I did that post, not to mention, my weakness with "code".

Nikosteel,

There is some pretty good advise on this thread, and the recommendation of the Omega sub is a good one.  They are fast, don't boom or chuff, and when set up properly, blend seamlessly into the system.  Right now there is only the Hoyt-Bedford Type 3 sub which will essentially do the same job as the Deep Hemp (now discontinued).  Louis is working on a replacement for the Deep Hemp but it is not quite ready yet.  My suggestion is: if you have the Monitors, try the Type 3 sub.  If you have the XRS Towers go for a bigger SET.  Assuming you are in Italy and want a quality SET amp, I would look at the Trafomatic Aries SET (6 w/ch), Almarro  A205A MKII SEP (5 w/ch), John Blue TL-66 SET (5 w/ch), Unison Research Simply Italy (12 w/ch UL).  None of the these amps are exactly cheap, but certainly more economical than a good 2A3 or 300B. 

Also there is a considerable difference in bass authority between 2-3 w/ch and 5-6 w/ch.  If possible, stay with SET amps that have one tube per output.

Although not a SET, the Leben CS-300 PP is a killer combo with the Super 6; this is one of Louis' favourite matches.  Quite pricy here in North America, but maybe cheaper in Europe.

Nikosteel

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2013, 12:03 am »
Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for yours suggestion

So in the meanwhile i've gried some sub...Monitor audio radius 370, spendor 3 and rel t5...all blended very well, expecially rel...but...but...to me something is just not right..i figured out i don't like sub very much and actually buy hoyt bedford sub without know the result...uhm..

So i'd go for a better amp..Rob, i knew unison research and thanks to let me know trafomatic.. :P
I'll give them a try :D

And for the future i'm going to build an OB 2 ways..just to rock!!!

Some listening note: EST 301, sound so awwsome on omega..tone, sound stage, emotions..mens i've really no words to explain...there is a sort of magic in omega sound

Ciao