VR-22 review/shootout vs. three other tower speakers

NewHTbuyer

Hello all Von Schweikert owners.

I have a pair of VR-22s on order.  First off, it had been great dealing directly with Albert.  He has been really easy to contact and patient in answering all my questions.

Anyway, I am planning to compare the VR-22s to three other tower speaker sets in the same price range.  Those are:
Ascend Sierra towers with Raal tweeter upgrades

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

The brand new SVS Ultra towers

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/ultra-series/ultra-tower#.UOIkGGt5mSM

Philharmonic Audio Philharmonic 2 speakers

http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonicaudio/philpages/floorstanding.html

I plan to do most of my comparing around the end of January and early February.  I will be posting my impressions in threads that will be on Audioholics and AVSforum.  Once I start those threads I will post links here.  I just thought that you guys might find my little shootout interesting.

BigSwede

Re: VR-22 review/shootout vs. three other tower speakers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:22 pm »
Interesting, indeed! It is a rare luxury to get multiple speakers in your system to compare.

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:30 pm »
Those SVS sure are pretty  :o Nice price too, dang free shipping  :P

At $999 those look extremely hot. Dual opposed 8's built in? WOW  :o

Not only that but 5 year warrantee, free 1 year trade up program, and 45 day trial period. Wow, SVS is going for the jugular.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2013, 09:32 pm »
Those SVS sure are pretty  :o Nice price too, dang free shipping  :P

At $999 those look extremely hot. Dual opposed 8's built in? WOW  :o

I'm guessing the $999 price is for each speaker, especially since the matching center channel is $699.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2013, 09:39 pm »
Yeah, gotta be. Even then that's a pretty loaded set for 2k shipped. Piano black too.

I bet they are just killer.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2013, 12:22 am »
Sounds very promising indeed. If they sound as good as they look they will raise the value/performance bar quite high.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2013, 12:47 am »
The VSA competition certainly looks interesting but dollars to donuts they aren't made here...at those prices gotta be mfd in China as is just about everything else these days  :duh:.  What little I know about Chinese manufactured speakers is that QC is marginal with corner cutting re: fit and finish and more than likely the crossovers.  But hey whatever floats one's boat...I'm sticking with speakers made right here in the good ole USA  :thumb:

Regarding the shootout, my money's on the VR22s  :thumb:

htradtk

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:18 am »
Very well said Gavin. I was looking at a video on YouTube about B&W speakers (my cousin owns a pair) and they have opened a plant in China!  :duh: Heck, my Pioneer Plasma TV is made here, in CA, can you believe that?

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:18 am »
I seriously doubt the crossover is any less built than a VR-22.

Have you seen Emotiva's crossovers lately? Pretty nice.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:20 am »
To each his own guys but nowadays I cherish anything I buy that doesn't sport a MADE IN CHINA sticker..  Let me just say this gentlemen...at the risk of sounding like a shill for VSA, parts...schmartz, when it comes to crossover design I'd trust Albert over just about anybody.  Let's just wait and see who's still standing after the shootout.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:23 am »
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017, 09:13 pm by Rclark »

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:29 am »
..and I will second that rClark but when it comes to VSA speakers, stepping it up not required.  I have heard the VR33s, the VR44s, the Unifield 1 and 2, the VR4 Sr and I own the VR5 Anniversaries Mk1.5 and can honestly say there's not a weak link in the bunch.  Albert seems to know what he's doing  8)

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:30 am »
I'm sure they are fine speakers. I was actually thinking about them for a while. We'll see how this shootout goes.

VR-22 cabinet tech DOES look pretty awesome.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:36 am »
Most of my system is made in America, nearly all of it, except my Emotiva player. But the way I see it, if something overseas is BETTER than the product made here, then the product being made here needs to step it up.

I'm not a charity.

"I'm not a charity"  So if I donate money to you I can't claim the deduction?  :lol:  I would assume you are talking about your Emotiva player.  I run the Emotiva USP-1 pre in a secondary system and it is quite nice for the money to be sure.  Speakers are a different kettle of fish.  Your comment about components made overseas being better than some made here...absolutely.  Lots of good stuff is made in Europe but my red flag goes up on the Chinese stuff especially speakers.  Emotiva amplifiers and players at their price points are good, no question.

kernelbob

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:45 am »
One suggestion, make sure the speakers, cabling, and amplification components are well broken-in.  All VSA speakers are designed to reach their potential after considerable playing time.  I don't know about the others in the shootout since I have no experience with them.

I've been watching several threads concerning power cables, speaker cables, and interconnects.  So many of the comments start from a premise of what can and can't matter and/or how much of a difference or type of difference can and can't be possible.  It's refreshing to see someone actually comparing equipment with an open mind.

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:46 am »
Well, the Emotiva Stealth 8's have received huge accolades so far... I think "Chinese speakers are junk" is not true anymore.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2013, 01:54 am »
Nice...looks like a great active monitor for recording  :thumb:

SundayNiagara

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2013, 02:29 am »
Well, the Emotiva Stealth 8's have received huge accolades so far... I think "Chinese speakers are junk" is not true anymore.

Try calling Albert himself.  I am 100% sure he has a story to tell about Chinese-made speakers!

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2013, 03:31 am »
Nice...looks like a great active monitor for recording  :thumb:

Everyone who heard them at RMAF was bowled over, and I'm sure you read Pez and Tyson's review of them? Gave them extremely high praise.

So I'm willing to bet these SVS are no slouch. They sure do look nice too. Angled, faceted cabinet packed fit to bust with drivers.