The audio gear is not the hobby...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
The audio gear is not the hobby...
« on: 30 Dec 2012, 02:11 am »
The listening room renovations are slowly proceeding and have finally decided to incorporate a CD storage shelf into the new construction, which will hopefully house a little over one thousand CDs. Frankly, I never appreciated the size of my music collection until it was all sitting in front of me but still consider it to be a relatively small collection when compared to others in this hobby. “Hobby?” I began to wonder what the audio hobby really was.   

Could it be that the purchasing of audio equipment as a hobby be the great fallacy with respect to our pursuit of audio nirvana? Is the real hobby of audio related to the collection of the media in which the music is stored on?

Do we take pride in a wall full of vinyl, CDs or terabytes on a hard drive that contains our favourite music genre? Now please do not get me wrong, but I also deeply enjoy my audio gear and it brings me great pleasure every time I sit down in front of it. We all appreciate that audio equipment can be very expensive but can also feel a sense of accomplishment when we are able to put the equipment we like on our racks - we'll ignore vanity for now. Somehow we all managed to cope with our "less than stellar" audio gear from years past before we embarked on a journey of upgrades but the music was and still is the constant.

Is it the hunt for an elusive album or to complete a set from a favourite band that we really enjoy? As many of you know by now, my favourite music genre cannot readily be purchased at my local CD store and most of my music purchases are now made outside of Canada. It is exhilarating to finally track down, after months of searching, a one-off album released by an obscure Gothic group from a used CD store in the UK, Germany or even France in mint condition.

Perhaps in the beginning, it all starts out innocently enough, a few records or CDs here and there and before you realize it – your collection is in the hundreds or thousands. Let us also not forget about our music file friends, while their collections are not exactly “physical,” are they also conscious of their “byte” counts and strive to increase them? They have replaced the wall of vinyl and CDs with stacks of hard drives. Is the music media our trophies?

Lady Laundrew was reading over my shoulder as I was busy typing away and her comment of "it's not a hobby, it is an addiction" probally sums it up perfectly  :lol:

Some collections...

CDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95I9N0177qw
Vinyl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0NFcxjU-kU

Music files
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXIg84Lpj3I

Be well...

decal

Re: The audio gear is not the hobby...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2012, 02:16 am »
To some folks the gear is most certainly the hobby.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2012, 02:17 am »
Some people hobby are music, other are audio, both are OK as people are different each other.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2012, 02:58 am »
Frankly, I never appreciated the size of my music collection until it was all sitting in front of me but still consider it to be a relatively small collection when compared to others in this hobby. “Hobby?” I began to wonder what the audio hobby really was.   

The reason I put together a music server is because Mrs. HsvHeelFan got tired of my 800 or so CDs all stacked up on the wall.  Frankly, at that point, they were getting hard to keep sorted. I had them sorted by Pop/Rock, Jazz, Classical and each group was sorted by artist.

Could it be that the purchasing of audio equipment as a hobby be the great fallacy with respect to our pursuit of audio nirvana? Is the real hobby of audio related to the collection of the media in which the music is stored on?

For me, the hobby is about the music.  It's a combination of having audio equipment that makes you happy and searching for that "great performance". When both come together, that's when the goose bumps appear and one reaches audio nirvana.

Do we take pride in a wall full of vinyl, CDs or terabytes on a hard drive that contains our favourite music genre?

I don't.  It's just a big collection of music.  Now, there are a couple of CDs that I'm proud to own since they're rare.

Is it the hunt for an elusive album or to complete a set from a favourite band that we really enjoy?

Yes.  I tend to find artists that I like and try to acquire all of their music that I can find.

Perhaps in the beginning, it all starts out innocently enough, a few records or CDs here and there and before you realize it – your collection is in the hundreds or thousands. Let us also not forget about our music file friends, while their collections are not exactly “physical,” are they also conscious of their “byte” counts and strive to increase them? They have replaced the wall of vinyl and CDs with stacks of hard drives. Is the music media our trophies?

Lady Laundrew was reading over my shoulder as I was busy typing away and her comment of "it's not a hobby, it is an addiction" probally sums it up perfectly  :lol:

You and I are both fortunate that our significant others tolerate and/or support our music hobby and tastes.  When I borrowed that Bryston 4B-ST to replace my failing Yamaha Integrated, Mrs. HsvHeelFan was on board with finding a Bryston of our own.

HsvHeelFan

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:29 am »
The hobby is different things to different people.  Everyone is entitled to enjoy this or any other hobby the way they see fit.  Some people like to criticize others' ideas of what the hobby constitutes to them.  Some bash people for seemingly putting gear ahead of music, others criticize people seemingly hoarding music and/or gear.  Then there's those that bash people who hear or don't hear differences in things like cables and other tweaks.  I say live and let live.  I hear differences in cables and don't need anyone telling me that in reality I don't hear them.  But that's another discussion.

I don't have a huge music collection compared to a lot of others.  The only physical media I have in sight is vinyl.  Not a ton of it, but more than what my wife truly wants to see (although she's great about it).

I don't take pride in measuring terabytes.

I don't take pride in the number of boxes (pieces of equipment) in my stereo cabinet.

I've always believed in quality over quantity.  I won't buy a rare lp for the sake of owning it.  If its an album I really like, I'll track down a copy.  I won't spend an arm and a leg for it, nor will I look for several pressings of it to find a pressing with the best possible sound quality.   A great example of this stuff is Pink Floyd's catalog.  Some people own a dozen different pressings of Dark Side of the Moon.  More powe to them, but my 25th or 30th anniversary edition sounds just fine, and I don't need to look for a version that's fetching $200.  It's one thing if you're collecting them as a financial investment, but quite another if all you're after is sonic improvement.  I think the performance is far more important than the sound quality.  But again, to each his own.

The hobby also means different things to people at different points in their lives.  A few years ago I was all about getting the best possible sound out of my system.  While I never put the system above the music (as in buying music that sounded great rather than stuff I actually liked), I did get hung up on components, cables, isolation, power conditioning, etc.  Nothing wrong with that.

I enjoy my system in a completely different way now.  I don't have a dedicated room (not by choice, but if I had the choice, I'd honestly turn it down); my system is in the living room.  I enjoy listening to music and dancing around with my 2 year old daughter.  She grabs my hands and says "Get up daddy! Dance!"  She goes over and touches the speakers and says "Music right here!"

I put on her music, which is slowly taking over my Apple TV 1's internal hard drive space, and we dance, march, spin, and any other thing she feels like doing.  Last night I was playing the Beastie Boys's Ill Communication while we were coloring.  During one of the instrumental songs, she says to me "I yike this song" (she uses Y instead of L in some words; adds to her charm), got up and started spinning around.  After that track, I put on Sabotage and had he chase me around the house.  Sure, she had no idea why I had her chase me, but it was fun nonetheless (if you've never seen the video for Sabotage, YouTube it; it's the best music vide ever and will explain why I had her chase me).

My wife never got into the whole stereo thing.  She never paid any attention to it, and deep down wasn't too thrilled when it made its way into the living room.  She knew it was important to me, so she never gave me a single problem about it.  Now that she sees how our daughter enjoys it, she gets into it too.  It used to be I was the only one listening to music, now she asks for the stereo to be turned on too.

Good thing I have a Bryston, as I have no doubt it'll be fully operational when my daughter gets her first place.  She'll take it with her.  Now I just have to figure out what to do about the next one - we're expecting our second child (another girl) in the middle of March.  I can't justify buying a second system so #2 (name TBD) can have it when she gets her first place.

Very long story short, the hobby changes as we change.

Laundrew

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:34 am »
The reason I put together a music server is because Mrs. HsvHeelFan got tired of my 800 or so CDs all stacked up on the wall.  Frankly, at that point, they were getting hard to keep sorted. I had them sorted by Pop/Rock, Jazz, Classical and each group was sorted by artist.

For me, the hobby is about the music.  It's a combination of having audio equipment that makes you happy and searching for that "great performance". When both come together, that's when the goose bumps appear and one reaches audio nirvana.

I don't.  It's just a big collection of music.  Now, there are a couple of CDs that I'm proud to own since they're rare.

Yes.  I tend to find artists that I like and try to acquire all of their music that I can find.

You and I are both fortunate that our significant others tolerate and/or support our music hobby and tastes.  When I borrowed that Bryston 4B-ST to replace my failing Yamaha Integrated, Mrs. HsvHeelFan was on board with finding a Bryston of our own.

HsvHeelFan

A few great observations HsvHeelFan  :thumb:

Be well...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:54 am »
I thanks I kicked out my first wife in 1988, she was very smart in inspecting my CDs increase. :thumb:

mkaiser

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:54 am »
Decal,

Absolutely, most if not all audiophiles i have talked to hardly ever mention the joy of the music experience, just the joy(less) of spending tens-of-thousands on the gear.

Mark

WireNut

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2012, 05:15 am »
The listening room renovations are slowly proceeding and have finally decided to incorporate a CD storage shelf into the new construction, which will hopefully house a little over one thousand CDs.

I think I may have an Orgasm.  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2012, 05:39 am »
I have more than a thousand cd's now.

Btw if the gear isn't the hobby we're all just sitting around listening to the radio. The gear is completely, utterly, and totally the hobby, and to look at your system and say otherwise is lunacy.

nd how could it be a fallacy? Should we all have ipods with 128kb mp3's? I hate these conversations. People who own awesome systems saying it isn't about the system. Lie!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:34 pm »
It's not quite all about the music. The gear itself is a source of fun, not just a means to an end. As a closet sufferer of OCD, it provides an outlet for the expression of those tendencies. As a technician, fiddling with gear (modding or building, etc) is greatly satisfying.

Lady Laundrew spoke correctly; it is an addiction. The addiction to music infected me at an early age. Of all places, it was in church that it happened – the large pipe organ and the choir often raised the little bumps on my flesh. My parents didn't listen to music; I only ever heard it in church, but I eventually wanted more. So, it began.

Stu, in some cultures, there aren't separate words for music and dance – they are one and the same. Introduce a child to music and that child will not reject it. Teach a child to play an instrument and watch him/her grow/glow. If I remember correctly, our daughter wasn't yet three when she started banging on our piano. It didn't take much effort or time to impart to her the basics, and it blossomed from there (violin, flutes, recorders, harps, hurdy gurdy, dulcimer and various percussion instruments – yet, I couldn't get her into the guitar :dunno:). She could read music before she could read English – there's a reason we teach our kids their ABCs with song.

The accumulation of thousands of media objects is simply the result of a thirst for more and more music. It's not about filling shelves (or disk drives), but that certainly happens.

The most wonderful piece of gear I own is the BDP-1, which gives me instant access to nearly all of my digital media (no more plucking a CD from the shelf, loading it in the player and...) – if only I could rip the SACDs. I wouldn't say that I'm proud of it, but I am pleased with myself for buying it and I think Bryston should be proud of it. I am a little proud of a few of my audio projects, but I'm far more proud of my daughter.

I agree with those who point out that the hobby means different things to different people, and how wonderful is that? Personally, I enjoy all aspects of it (except for the arguing that occasionally transpires in these forums).

Laundrew

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:38 pm »
I have more than a thousand cd's now.

Btw if the gear isn't the hobby we're all just sitting around listening to the radio. The gear is completely, utterly, and totally the hobby, and to look at your system and say otherwise is lunacy.

nd how could it be a fallacy? Should we all have ipods with 128kb mp3's? I hate these conversations. People who own awesome systems saying it isn't about the system. Lie!

A most enjoyable topic thus far with some very interesting opinions. At the end of the day, must we own a mega-dollar audio system to truly enjoy music and would it not be a little arrogant for us to assume that individuals whom do not spend piles of cash on their systems cannot equally enjoy music? A few months ago, I was on a Toronto subway and was watching an individual across the isle listening to his iPod - his eyes were closed tight, lips pressed firmly together while his head was gently swaying side to side and it was easy to tell that he was having a deep emotional experience from his music. Is there anyone here who has not shed a solitary tear when listening to a cherished song on the radio, car stereo or iPod? I know I have and on many occasions. A great system is as a fine delicacy, which deeply enhances our reverence for music but we can still certainly get by on a "meat and potatoes" system.   

Remember I briefly mentioned vanity? Perhaps they are also other "minor" factors in flux other than the enjoyment of music when we purchase audio components whose same cost will put a brand new Toyota Corolla on the road. Do we experience pride when we tell an inquiring peer at work that a turntable we are currently looking at is listed at $15,000.00? Are we no different than an individual showing off a new sports car to his/her friends?  When I walk into my room, I still catch myself smiling now and then when I glance over at my equipment. 

Another contributing factor for my assumptions with respect to this topic was Hector's double orthopaedic surgery of this year. Since May, I have not had many opportunities to sit in front of my gear due to Hectors restrictions about using stairs and have mostly been listening to music on my computer that is next to his "condo." I still find myself enjoying music. Would I walk away from my beasties altogether - not going to happen. It is unfortunate that many answers are not "black or white" and this discussion certainly falls into this category, but then again, the world would be a little more boring if everything was cut and dry.

By the way, I would appreciate to see a photograph, if possible of your CD collection-storage as I may get a few other ideas for storage as I wish to be able to storage at least one thousand CDs.  :thumb:

Be well...

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:03 pm »

By the way, I would appreciate to see a photograph, if possible of your CD collection-storage as I may get a few other ideas for storage as I wish to be able to storage at least one thousand CDs.  :thumb:

They aren't fancy, but I constructed three of these using poplar. It didn't cost much and they are solid enough for me to climb - the shelves will never bow as they are supported along their entire 6' span. Each CD 'rack' holds nearly 1100 discs (the tertiary 'rack' is for DVDs & BluRays). They are in a bedroom, which was inconvenient before adding the BDP-1 to to the main system. :lol:

Laundrew

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:10 pm »
They aren't fancy, but I constructed three of these using poplar. It didn't cost much and they are solid enough for me to climb - the shelves will never bow as they are supported along their entire 6' span. Each CD 'rack' holds nearly 1100 discs (the tertiary 'rack' is for DVDs & BluRays). They are in a bedroom, which was inconvenient before adding the BDP-1 to to the main system. :lol:

Very elegant and well done as your CD rack does not look like an after thought - it flows very nice  :thumb:

Be well...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:38 pm »
Laundrew,
I found a pair of these Lazy Susan carousel type on CraigsList for 250/pr. a while ago. 
There's 4 shelving compartments per unit and the two units will house around 1500 CDs.
The seller was a woman who went with shelving and I was going in the opposite direction.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2012, 05:11 pm »
Thanks for the compliment. I'm not a skilled woodworker, nor do I have the tools of one, but it's fun to tinker and it's satisfying to build things (even if they're imperfect). That fact returns to the topic of this thread – piecing together a system that satisfies our 'ears' is a satisfying accomplishment. That's part and parcel of the 'hobby' aspect of this hobby.

Being located in a small bedroom, I didn't want the CD/DVD storage to consume any floor space. I don't anticipate a move (we own our house (one of the nicer aspects of getting older)), so I didn't mind nailing the things to the walls. It was a solution to the need I had and one of the easier construction projects I've attempted. I bought a cheap shelf support to trace for the bottom shape of the vertical boards and used a bit of fluted trim around the top – a cheap way to dress it up enough to render it slightly more than utilitarian. I used the same semi-gloss, oil-based paint on it as the room trim and it has withstood the abuse of inserting/withdrawing the jewel boxes.

Steve went the opposite direction. For those with the floorspace to spare, the Lazy Susan is a great idea. It also doesn't require one to 'mutilate' his walls. His solution works for him and mine for me, yet they are different. That also reflects back on the topic of this thread – the diversity of system designs and price points that bring us happiness. That should be a celebrated component of this hobby, but sometimes results in nasty 'debates'.

Be well as well...

edit :oops:

I don't how I read Rclark as the author of Steve's post, but I did. How's that for paying attention? :duh:
Regardless, the point I attempted to make is still valid. :D

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2012, 05:16 pm »
A most enjoyable topic thus far with some very interesting opinions. At the end of the day, must we own a mega-dollar audio system to truly enjoy music and would it not be a little arrogant for us to assume that individuals whom do not spend piles of cash on their systems cannot equally enjoy music? A few months ago, I was on a Toronto subway and was watching an individual across the isle listening to his iPod - his eyes were closed tight, lips pressed firmly together while his head was gently swaying side to side and it was easy to tell that he was having a deep emotional experience from his music. Is there anyone here who has not shed a solitary tear when listening to a cherished song on the radio, car stereo or iPod? I know I have and on many occasions. A great system is as a fine delicacy, which deeply enhances our reverence for music but we can still certainly get by on a "meat and potatoes" system.   

Remember I briefly mentioned vanity? Perhaps they are also other "minor" factors in flux other than the enjoyment of music when we purchase audio components whose same cost will put a brand new Toyota Corolla on the road. Do we experience pride when we tell an inquiring peer at work that a turntable we are currently looking at is listed at $15,000.00? Are we no different than an individual showing off a new sports car to his/her friends?  When I walk into my room, I still catch myself smiling now and then when I glance over at my equipment. 

Another contributing factor for my assumptions with respect to this topic was Hector's double orthopaedic surgery of this year. Since May, I have not had many opportunities to sit in front of my gear due to Hectors restrictions about using stairs and have mostly been listening to music on my computer that is next to his "condo." I still find myself enjoying music. Would I walk away from my beasties altogether - not going to happen. It is unfortunate that many answers are not "black or white" and this discussion certainly falls into this category, but then again, the world would be a little more boring if everything was cut and dry.

Be well...

I've got an Ikea rack, and I made cardboard double shelves  :lol: basically laying a piece of cardbaord over the bottom layer of cd's to double the capacity.

I have a bad habit of pulling albums down and not returning them, so there are a good hundred or so stacked at the foot of my stereo.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2012, 05:25 pm »
I have a bad habit of pulling albums down and not returning them, so there are a good hundred or so stacked at the foot of my stereo.

I'm sure you're not alone in that. My record storage is in the main listening room and my turntable is in the bedroom (just ended up that way). Anyway, that results in my having a couple dozen on the floor against the dresser in the bedroom - the turntable is on top of the dresser. I feel like a kid again. :lol:

(sorry about the case of mistaken identity above)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2012, 05:29 pm »
I prefer shelves BUT somebody who looks a lot like my wife had to buy a flat screen TV and there went that space.
Oh well, at least I can watch the Giants lose on Sundays along with all of those riveting cooking shows...

Is the gear the hobby?
Part of it but it only exists to reproduce the music. 
Is collecting the music the hobby? 
That's part of it, too, but if you didn't like the tunes you wouldn't have the collection and the junk to play it on.
Is the stereo gear a status symbol?
I suppose but if all I had was a Bose Wave Radio I'd still be the same person.  I still wouldn't be able to take a level photograph, for instance.
I just wouldn't be as noisy!

Well, at least you didn't call me Emsquared...

ricko01

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2012, 08:53 pm »
I think this "hobby" actually encompasses other skills/interests that we have.

In my case, I built my listening room from scratch, because I had the hands on skills and the mind/interest to do the acoustic research.

For others with real mathematical minds, they might use that as part of the decision processes when selecting a DAC (ie they can understand the deep theory).

Others might find building a room way above their skill level but they have fanastics aural memory or a robotic like skill in remembering facts around albums/artists/dates etc.

Others might be able to REALLY hear the subtlest changes that are brought about by a cable change, some resonance controlling device etc and so be always tweaking the little stuff.

And the really gifted with hands on skill might build their own electronics or speakers, not to save money specfically, but because they can and want to see if they can match it with commerical products.

Then there are just the pure music lovers who dont sweat the small or big stuff...where the physical components are of no interest.