The "Bryston Sound"

CodyRed

The "Bryston Sound"
« on: 27 Sep 2012, 12:59 am »
A well respected contributor of another audio forum and someone who's owned many different pieces of high end equipment said this: "the Bryston 7BSST2 monoblocks are lean clean sterile and dry relative to the Cary CAD-200 amp that I am presently using."

I  recently purchased a 14B SST amplifier. Does his description characterize the "house" sound of Bryston?  I can't tell yet for sure from my amp as I experiment with my setup.  I definitely hate "leanness, sterility or dryness." These are the antithesis of what I like to hear.   I am still trying to craft my system sound.  Does the above sound right to you, or is the fellow describing something that existed in his setup alone? 

Phil A

Re: The "Bryston Sound"
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2012, 01:29 am »
There are many factors, including the rest of the system that can impact sound.  I've owned and more than one model of the ST series (and still have a 3BST) and more than one model of the SST series.  I had a 14BSST and still have a 6BSST.  I would certainly not call the SST series lean or sterile.

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:31 am »
Using a photoshop analogy, when I'm editing a landscape photo I'm striving for accuracy of color, tone, lighting, detail. Any deviation from what is true and sometimes it is difficult to discern, is no longer accuracy but a subjective interpretation, perhaps artistic, deviation from what is true.

Bryston's philosophy is to produce recorded sound accurately. 8)

Ron D

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:54 am »
I think some people deem things as "sterile, lean or dry" when in fact it is the amp's neutrality that they are hearing or not hearing for that matter.

I believe that the recording studios that use Bryston gear (especially the amps) do so for the following reasons - their excellent build quality, reliability, stellar warranty and neutral presentation. Hey that's just my opinion.

I believe every amp has a sonic signature to some extent with many being more evident than others but I suspect that Bryston amps have one of the least audible signatures available in the market. Therefore they lend themselves to applications where people want to retain as much of the original or intended presentation as possible. Lots of people prefer to tailor a sound to something they specifically enjoy and will use a certain amp or other component in the chain to do so and that works for them.

There is no wrong or right here, only personal preferences...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2012, 01:06 pm »
Hi CodyRed

At Bryston it is all about the 'LINEARITY OF THE WAVEFORM' - (input vs output with as few changes as possible)  - tell me the truth - good or bad.

There is no 'voicing' of products.

james

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:52 pm »
I bought a Bryston Amp only after thorough listening, and comparing the amp and preamp to other stuff.
I would say the comment of Bryston sterile/lean sound is just old old 'guru' talk from idiots who don't know shit about bryston.
It is like some story no one knows where it came from, just enough fools repeated it, so it 'must' be true. NOT.
As mentioned, Bryston is transparent, and you get out what you put in.. The better the signal going in, the better the sound coming out. So far, I have not found a limit to that statement, as i refine my setup.
And for the folks who just want fat bloated sound.. you can just use some old Conrad Johnson stuff to fulfill you dreams..

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:59 pm »
  My feelings exactly Elizabeth. I bought into Bryston for that very reason.  :thumb:...well said folks :wink:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:44 pm »
Bryston is for those that want neutral and accurate sound; not "warm" or "fat" or "rosy" or "juicy."

spinner

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2012, 07:40 pm »
   Right on Vegas :rock:

Lancelot

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm »

After having had a number of Bryston components ( amps, preamps, integrated ) , I basically agree that Bryston has a neutral, tell it like it is, type of sound. IMO, the big decision for Bryston owners is the type of loudspeaker one chooses to match to their Bryston components and the acoustical properties of the room everything is going to be used in.

Some loudspeakers mimic ( say some Thiels ) the sound of Bryston equipment and that combination used in a live, undamped room, is going to come across on many recordings as somewhat lean or lacking body, IMO. Change the loudspeakers to say Vienna Acoustics and a treated room and you get a whole different perspective.

In other words , you are listening to system, a room and a recording. Bryston is excellent in what it does but it is only one part of the whole.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2012, 08:59 pm »

JfTM

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:56 am »
I prefer the "tell it like it is" components.  Let me hear the source recording as it was laid down; good, bad, whatever.  Bryston does that, no colour, no warmth, nowhere to hide :)

If you want to alter the sound buy something else or add tone controls  :duh:

klao

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2012, 06:39 pm »
Almost 40 years ago, my parents and their musical friends made simple recordings of songs by a local, well-known and respected songwriter.  They even cut and sold two LP albums that now have become rare collectibles among oldie Thai songs lovers.  Some thirty years later, we issued a CD from that old master tapes/LPs as well.

Having listened to my mother's and her co lead singer's vocals all my life (from the records, their rehearsal sessions, public/private concerts & performances), I was really amazed the first time I heard that CD played through the setup with 7B-SST monoblocks (then on loan for a weekend from a dealer) and my own Maggies 3.6. 

That playback experience, to me, was really close their real sound/timbre, so much so that aspired me to become the current owner of 7B-SST2's and a pair of Magnepan 20.7's.

Now, I'm really curious to know how more realistic could I get from the 28B-SST2's.   :P

redbook

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2012, 07:48 pm »
  That's a great story and says a lot for CD quality... when played through good equipment :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:56 am »
 I recently connected my  Bryston pre and power amp(4B) using the balanced method. Things got even more neutral and better focused . "Bryston" is still amazing me with it's ability to tell the truth (good or bad) lol. :bowdown:

G E

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:38 pm »
Bryston gear "plays it as it is". Some of my recordings are lush and creamy, others emphasize transparency and speed. A bad recording will be presented in unvarnished truth.

I have a 4bsst2 current model.

redbook

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:13 pm »
  Exactly  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2012, 11:50 pm »
I finally got those 3B Pros and one is operational.
The two words that describe the sound are "crisp" and "clear".
Nice product!

Sasha

« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2012, 12:57 am »
A well respected contributor of another audio forum and someone who's owned many different pieces of high end equipment said this: "the Bryston 7BSST2 monoblocks are lean clean sterile and dry relative to the Cary CAD-200 amp that I am presently using."

I  recently purchased a 14B SST amplifier. Does his description characterize the "house" sound of Bryston?  I can't tell yet for sure from my amp as I experiment with my setup.  I definitely hate "leanness, sterility or dryness." These are the antithesis of what I like to hear.   I am still trying to craft my system sound.  Does the above sound right to you, or is the fellow describing something that existed in his setup alone?

I am sorry if I am going to offend someone’s feelings and love for Cary equipment, but through years of experience I came to conclusion that it is not Bryston amplification that is lean, clean, sterile and dry, but rather that Cary is very colored, slow, syrupy amplification, a trait shred across all of their components.
The systems where Cary could sound better than Bryston would have to be very compromised, where heavy coloration from Cary could be welcome addition to mask problems.

PRELUDE

« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2012, 02:14 am »
Where is he(Codyred)?
He asked something and he is not talking and why did he asked the question after he bought the 14b? :scratch:
I do not get it. :dunno: