The "Bryston Sound"

truant

Re: The "Bryston Sound"
« Reply #40 on: 10 Nov 2012, 01:30 am »
I have an LFD Zero MK IV and  have recently started to consider another amplifier (integrated) even though I have very little complaint with my LFD (other than it is in the shop for repair.)  Additional features would be nice.  Better sound at about the same price would be great but I don't know how likely that is.  From what I gather moving from LFD to Bryston would involve tradeoffs more than anything.  The dealer who imported my LFD has a used B100 w/DAC for sale and this has me wondering whether the Bryston would be something I could love.  It would be great to have the dac.  I've been reading through some of the posts here to get some insight into Bryston gear.  Whether it would mate well with my Gallo Stradas.  There is no dealer in Seattle so hearing firsthand without buying is uncertain.  Any experience, comments or insight is appreciated.  Any Bryston owners in this area?

Gibalok

• Metrum Pavane/Manley Shrimp/4BSST2/Penaudio Cenya
« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:12 pm »
Bryston is neutral and transparent, fast attack, amazing deep  bass and controll. But the only problem, that you wll drop off 70% of the recordings, which sounds flat on its nature... Good or bad but true.. Another brands can color the recordings.. Its like to add more salt and souce.. :)

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #42 on: 12 Apr 2016, 01:44 am »
When I bought my 4BSST2, my dealer told me that his amp may be the last amp I may buy...  Because since Bryston's amp are so reputed for there transparency and linearity, they are a good match for lots of inputs and they can drive nearly any speaker available on the market.

If you want to maintain the "transparency" effect, and actually "hear" what is on the actual recording (no color touchup), go with a Bryston pre-amp.

If on the other hand you like the "warm" sound of a tube system (color added), go with a tube pre-amp.

From what my dealder told me, a tube pre-amp with a Bryston power-amp are a pretty job match.  (And you probably won't be able to get a power-tube-amp in the same power range as the Bryston for the same money...)

But as Mag likes to point out, I also like to use photoshop very lightly on "RAW" footage...  More than often, only to develop the RAW and not very much to adjust it...  So a Bryston system does the thing for me.

Of course, they are no bad of good system...  It all personnal taste and what you feel right about paying for your system.

I personnaly feel that Brystons equipment are a top end that I really don't need to go over.

The laws of diminishing returns must have its sweet point in the "Bryston" category...  :-)

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #43 on: 12 Apr 2016, 02:54 am »
I feel as though much of the stereotype of people complaining about Bryston gear sounding sterile is because there is so much old Bryston gear floating around the used market. On the one hand this is a testament to their longevity, but on the other hand you've also got gear that's been passed through who knows how many hands and has probably never been serviced. In particular, old caps can lead to a leaner sound.