The "Bryston Sound"

Mag

Re: The "Bryston Sound"
« Reply #20 on: 2 Oct 2012, 03:55 am »
Using a photoshop analogy again. If you lean toward brightness you add increase in details. If you lean towards warmth, darker, richer color tones, you lose detail. So accuracy IMO is achieving a proper balance between brightness and warmth, details and richer tones. :smoke:

rmurray

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2012, 06:53 pm »
 Exactly my take on this..... :thumb:

Wallacefl

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2012, 08:30 pm »
Exactly my take on this..... :thumb:
  exactly :green:

1ZIP

« Reply #23 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:16 am »
I have a 4Bsst2, BP26, BCD1 and a Torus power conditioner.  I use Bryston balanced IC's and Bryston speaker cables.  It all drives a pair of B&W speakers.  I have spent hours listening to all types of music over the last couple of years and would certainly not consider the sound sterile, clean or dry.  It is very revealing but without being fatiguing.  If there is a Bryston "House sound" it is one of neutrality.  Each time I spin a disk I'm stunned by the detail and transparency without any loss of the emotion of the music.

I'm intrigued with the thought of adding a pair of Bryston speakers!

mkaiser

« Reply #24 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:28 pm »
You have the same system as I except, I have ML Spires. (soon to be replaced with the new Montis)  :thumb:

Mark

JBLMVBC

« Reply #25 on: 6 Oct 2012, 06:12 pm »
I bought a Bryston Amp only after thorough listening, and comparing the amp and preamp to other stuff.
I would say the comment of Bryston sterile/lean sound is just old old 'guru' talk from idiots who don't know shit about bryston.
It is like some story no one knows where it came from, just enough fools repeated it, so it 'must' be true. NOT.
As mentioned, Bryston is transparent, and you get out what you put in.. The better the signal going in, the better the sound coming out. So far, I have not found a limit to that statement, as i refine my setup.
And for the folks who just want fat bloated sound.. you can just use some old Conrad Johnson stuff to fulfill you dreams..

RIGHT ON!  :thumb:

pjg66

« Reply #26 on: 7 Oct 2012, 05:18 am »
Many audiophiles prefer a romanticized, "technicolored" type of sound and there are companies that intentionally design for this taste.  And I think it's folks like these who find the clean neutrality and accuracy of Bryston "lean and sterile".

I've been around the audio hobby since the late 50's and well remember that the whole original meaning of "high fidelity" was accuracy!  For those of us who still believe in this concept, thank goodness there are companies like Bryston.

spinner

« Reply #27 on: 7 Oct 2012, 01:25 pm »
 100% agreed  :weights:

larevoj

« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2012, 10:53 am »
I am still not sure why there are people thinks Bryston = cold.

I think these people = nonsensical.

I have folks whom have audition my Bryston setup and was utterly impressed with every single musical note played. If you ask me I can sum up Bryston = Honesty. It is what it is and because its neutral and flat one can match with the speakers/cables/racks/etc. they prefer and it adds very little to the sound. 

nobel

« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2012, 02:36 pm »

The only time Bryston sounded cold sterile and lean is when i am in a bad mood and not really up to listening but do so to escape the pressure of life.

However when i am up to it they ain't no system better than my bryston and that's with a 4bsst amp pre'power , byston CD player and pmc ob1 speakers. I did hear the ob1i speakers which supposed to be smoother and did not like them one bit. Lush and syrup is not my thing. Dynamic and neutral is

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #30 on: 11 Oct 2012, 05:25 pm »
  After 13 years using Bryston gear I can say things have kept pace with the small changes I've made. The most recent is hooking up the balance feature between all my components. Dynamics took a jump and the overall sound is a bit warmer but  better detailed. If one hasn't tried this you may still realize the real potential of your amps. :thumb:

NiToNi

« Reply #31 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:18 pm »

Change the loudspeakers to say Vienna Acoustics and a treated room and you get a whole different perspective.

That's what I'm doing. I have 28B + Mahler mkII as well as room treatments by GIK Acoustics and room correction by Audiolense. The sound is very well-balanced and musical - this despite the source, Metric Halo LIO-8, also being of the "speaking-the-truth" school like Bryston.

klao

« Reply #32 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:29 am »
Almost 40 years ago, my parents and their musical friends made simple recordings of songs by a local, well-known and respected songwriter.  They even cut and sold two LP albums that now have become rare collectibles among oldie Thai songs lovers.  Some thirty years later, we issued a CD from that old master tapes/LPs as well.

Having listened to my mother's and her co lead singer's vocals all my life (from the records, their rehearsal sessions, public/private concerts & performances), I was really amazed the first time I heard that CD played through the setup with 7B-SST monoblocks (then on loan for a weekend from a dealer) and my own Maggies 3.6. 

That playback experience, to me, was really close their real sound/timbre, so much so that aspired me to become the current owner of 7B-SST2's and a pair of Magnepan 20.7's.

That's a great story and says a lot for CD quality... when played through good equipment :thumb:

I just ripped the reference CD of (original master) reel transfers done by BGM.  Played the lossless/uncompresed files through my current Bryston-based system: BDP-1, BDA-1, tube preamp, 7B-SST2's, & Maggie 1.7's.  It's revealing enough details add dynamics from the old tapes that I'm confident to make another CD & vinyl reissues to the Thai audience.   :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2012, 10:18 am »
I just ripped the reference CD of (original master) reel transfers done by BGM.  Played the lossless/uncompresed files through my current Bryston-based system: BDP-1, BDA-1, tube preamp, 7B-SST2's, & Maggie 1.7's.  It's revealing enough details add dynamics from the old tapes that I'm confident to make another CD & vinyl reissues to the Thai audience.   :)

What a great story - thanks for sharing  :thumb:

James

Marius

« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:18 pm »
check!, it most certainly is. If it wouldn't be too personal, how great would it be if you could share some of the recordings also. These personal experiences and life-time stories make music the universal language par excellence, for everyone to speak and understand. Would love to hear yours!

Thanks,
Marius

What a great story - thanks for sharing  :thumb:

James

CodyRed

« Reply #35 on: 1 Nov 2012, 08:00 pm »
Sorry for the delay in responding PRELUDE, I don't look at this forum as often as I should.  I'm still experimenting with the sound of my system.  I feel that it is not as fleshed out as I would like with my speakers, so I continue to try various tweaks. Just added a SR Powercell 10 and soon to have a Joule Electra preamp.

lanchile

« Reply #36 on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:02 pm »
I had the privilege to own a Bryston gear (B60) the sound was one of the best I ever listened! if I had to recommend an amplifier...I would not hesitate to say get a BRYSTON!!! :thumb:

PRELUDE

« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2012, 12:33 am »
Sorry for the delay in responding PRELUDE, I don't look at this forum as often as I should.  I'm still experimenting with the sound of my system.  I feel that it is not as fleshed out as I would like with my speakers, so I continue to try various tweaks. Just added a SR Powercell 10 and soon to have a Joule Electra preamp.
As far you are happy we all happy for you.
Just let us know the final thoughts. :thumb:

JBLMVBC

« Reply #38 on: 2 Nov 2012, 05:09 pm »
What I like the most about the "Bryston sound" is that you cannot hear it! :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #39 on: 2 Nov 2012, 07:15 pm »
  Right on.... :thumb: