The future of vinyl

PRELUDE

The future of vinyl
« on: 18 Sep 2012, 11:59 pm »
First of all:I am not crazy about vinyl,CD,hi-res or etc.....
But I like the music and like to hear it from a good source of any.I truly like the hi-res material and I do believe that Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1 was an absolute investment which can deliver the music at its best and once a while when I sit down and listen to it,I start thinking to myself and ask this question.Would hi-res music put the vinyl out of business?
My fear is that how hi-res materials are protected? and the second one is there are only limited type of music is available in hi-res and we hope this will change in the future.
I think the vinyl is staying with us,but the question is for how long???
Is it safe to say forever?
There is no audio shows around the world that you cannot see vinyl and a lot of manufactures investing to build turntables and some of them cost more the your house.
Here is why I am starting this thread.
After a very long time,I just had some time to stop in HMV today and see what is going on.The vinyl section is getting bigger and bigger and I asked the guys that I know there for a long time if the vinyl sale is doing OK.He said the CD is horrible but vinyl is great.Same time I was talking to him I saw a lot of young ones came in and bought vinyl.I asked one of them that what does he like about vinyl? and he said it sounds better in my cheap turntable the the brand new CD player.Even some of the new albums that are available on vinyl it was not available on CD.
So what do you think about this?

jimdgoulding

Re: The future of vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:16 am »
Probably won't be with us forever.  I'm an old fart in present company, I think.  I've been buying albums since the 60's and my vinyl rig outperforms my digital rig so I buy a little vinyl still.  CD's too, when something interests me.  But, a young guy gettin it together is gonna go with what is contemporary.  Heck, maybe we should be concerned about live music!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:32 am »
I'm 56 with roughly 6000 LPs so I'm not worried about my
lifetime.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:58 am »
I think vinyl will be with us for at least another generation or two.
I'm 52 crabby years old and the last time I was in a used record store some beboppin' hep cats were in there buying albums.
The 20-something couple was all agog over finding an old Captain Beefhart album which gives me hope for the future.
Personally, I'm very happy to see vinyl making a comeback.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2012, 01:09 am »
  Here we go again with the subjective crap about which is better. I have gotten far greater pleasure from cd than any crappy LP I ever owned, and I had some very well recorded ones . The stuff from years ago is better on LP but that was then ( not since digital technology has matured). When will we quit starting this silly subjective debate? You old farts (I am one as well) need to get past this illusion that analogue is somehow superior. 

spinner

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2012, 01:11 am »
+1 :thumb: I think we are in a place where the certain audio makers are attempting to revive an antiquated medium to appeal to the younger set of buyers who don't really know better..... :violin: marketing propaganda perhaps?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2012, 01:27 am »
Dang, Book, I wasn't getting that from the thread.  And I don't see what you are talkng about, Spinner.

rmurray

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2012, 01:28 am »
 It looks that way sometimes. All these music sources we have are really great depending on your personal criteria. Let's just " share the blessing" huh :roll: ...Spinner, I do think you are on to something here.  :thumb:

PRELUDE

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2012, 02:19 am »
  Here we go again with the subjective crap about which is better. I have gotten far greater pleasure from cd than any crappy LP I ever owned, and I had some very well recorded ones . The stuff from years ago is better on LP but that was then ( not since digital technology has matured). When will we quit starting this silly subjective debate? You old farts (I am one as well) need to get past this illusion that analogue is somehow superior.
I just said that up front that I do not have any favor and never asked which one is better. :dunno:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2012, 02:31 am »
Yeah Redbook clearly seems to have his axe out to grind.
Since he must LOVE CD, (redbook? name) why is he even posting here except to be a troll?

Anyway, I have my pile of 6,000 LPs and I still buy a lot of Lps used.
I do not think the same folks buy hirez downlaods and LPs. (certainly some, but the majority of young new to vinyl are not buying hi res downloads.)

I generally listen mostly to CD anyway, but my Lps are here to stay.
I would give the LP resurgence ten years to fizzle out. as the fad it is.
Since the number of old farts and fartesses who die and their Lps get back into circulation is growing.. i have no fear about a shortage of used LPs for those still wanting them.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2012, 04:58 pm »
  No troll, just hate anything that starts that old "mine is better than your's thing". It's all a matter of opinion in any case.... Sorry Prelude  if I jumped the gun on your post, I'm too defensive and will try to be nicer.. :deadhorse: I do think there is a push on to sell turntables(fad?). Spinner has a good point. :thumb:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:13 pm »
I would enjoy seeing a photo of a 6000 LPs collection  :drool:

Be well...

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:30 pm »
When I spend money for something, I want to be able to touch it. I like both my Lps and CDs. I don't ever see myself buying a Hi-Rez download.  Like the fella said, "When you buy a music download, you don't really own anything." The future for Vinyl has been difficult to predict. Hell, it was supposed to be dead a long time ago.

Doc

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:37 pm »

Digital technology has matured??? :scratch:  :lol:

There's better, and there's what we LIKE better as individuals.  Not the same thing.

And I am 61 but refuse to grow up.

95Dyna

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:04 am »
How long will vinyl be around? Elementary, Watson!  Why as long as the analog sine wave is around.  It's always  been a puzzle to me why anyone would take a perfectly good analog signal and represent it with ones and zeros knowing full well you're going to have to convert it  back  to analog in order for anyone to hear it.  The answer of couurse is for conveniennce and I guess there's something to be said for that.

My music collection is an unbiased collection of CD, SACD and Vinyl.  There are 80's era CD's that sound really good, some are dreadful and some in between.  All my SACD's sound brilliant as do the CD layers on the hybrids.  Some vinyl records don't sound so hot especially ones bought prior to around 1971-72.  It should be considered that regardless of format a bad job can be done recording a piece of music.

That being said, since I replaced my Circa 1975 Thorens TD160 with a VPI Classic/Benz Wood SL in 2010 I have been having a blast tripping down memory lane with my vinyl collection that dates back to the early 60's.  I'm having an even greater time buying and listening to old jazz recordings that have been remastered onto double 45 RPM 180g audiophile pressings at 50 some odd bucks a pop.  If you haven't listened to some 45's you don't know what your missing.  Try some of Count Basie's recordings on the Pablo label from the 70's.  You'll feel like you're sitting on his piano with Louie Belson on one side of you and Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen on the other. 

The long and short of it you can find really good and satisfying stuff on in digital and analog but there is just something mystical about listening to a vinyl recording that I can't put my finger on but it keeps me coming back but not to the exclusion of my digial discs.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:07 am »
I would enjoy seeing a photo of a 6000 LPs collection  :drool:

Be well...

Sorry i do not have any photos.
But i will describe my wall of LPs.
The Bedroom with my collection has vinyl on two walls. The long wall is floor to 7' 3" tall natural oak finish shelving six units high. The units are square about 14" by 14". The lower four units are heavier duty than the top two tiers, and the very bottom has additional vertical reinforcement.
These units extend in the long direction 9 units (11' 3")
(which fills the wall from 6" away from curtains at the far end all the length, but allows a small 1,000 Cd rack at the near entrance to be squeezed next to it) This section contains two groups of LPs: four across (24 units, 2,000) Rock LPs which are rather tight. And five across (30 units 2,300 or so, looser) Jazz LPs. (i am growing my Jazz collection, so i have room for about 200 more Jazz LPs)
The other wall is a stack of the same modules six unit high, and four units across of Classical LPs 2,000 approximately. They are actually inside a large closet across the wall with folding doors Which still has room for other stuff. The bedroom door is between the two areas.

All my shelving is modular, and screws/pins together easily. I have moved it once, and it was easy to move. i was even able to box my Lps, and then slide those boxes into the units sideways. Great, as I was able to premove the LPs and store the shelving and Lps in lockers at my new place prior to moving. (and thus could, assemble them at my leisure) I moved them all myself in my car.

My Lps and shelving weigh appoximately one ton.

These shelving modules were (Sauder) from Target years ago. and I have not seen them in a long time. I am fine with that, as i have made a commitment to not add any more shelving, and keep only the LPs i can fit into my current shelving.
So it forces me to weed out stuff to add new stuff.

Hope this description offers you some pleasure.

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2012, 07:43 am »
Dyna said: How long will vinyl be around? Elementary, Watson!  Why as long as the analog sine wave is around.  It's always  been a puzzle to me why anyone would take a perfectly good analog signal and represent it with ones and zeros knowing full well you're going to have to convert it  back  to analog in order for anyone to hear it.  The answer of couurse is for conveniennce and I guess there's something to be said for that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I hesitate to fuel this debate, I would like to add that in general music is no longer recorded as an analog signal. Either it is converted to an analog signal in your DAC, just before sending it of to the (pre)amp, or it is converted to analog in order to carve out groves that are covered with black goo which is than pressed into a more or less round disk, after which a diamond dances through the groves desperately trying to recover the analog signal.  :wink: :wink:

Having said that, the current quality of the “analog” route is remarkable, and the feeling you get when watching the needle make contact with the vinyl is hard to replace. Moreover, the digital signal that reaches our DAC has usually been severely downgraded and is not the same as the original capture. Also the DAC we have in our homes is usually not of the same quality as the ADC used in the recording studio (or apparently the DAC used in the mastering studio).

To me it would seem digital will catch up in the long run, a tribute to the LP that it has not done so by now!
That the art of spinning disks will always be a lot more fun than downloading files is also evident.

Cheers,
Bob

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:36 pm »
hey, Dyna!

two thumbs up for your last comment :thumb: :thumb:

al.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:16 pm »
Sorry i do not have any photos.
But i will describe my wall of LPs.
The Bedroom with my collection has vinyl on two walls. The long wall is floor to 7' 3" tall natural oak finish shelving six units high. The units are square about 14" by 14". The lower four units are heavier duty than the top two tiers, and the very bottom has additional vertical reinforcement.
These units extend in the long direction 9 units (11' 3")
(which fills the wall from 6" away from curtains at the far end all the length, but allows a small 1,000 Cd rack at the near entrance to be squeezed next to it) This section contains two groups of LPs: four across (24 units, 2,000) Rock LPs which are rather tight. And five across (30 units 2,300 or so, looser) Jazz LPs. (i am growing my Jazz collection, so i have room for about 200 more Jazz LPs)
The other wall is a stack of the same modules six unit high, and four units across of Classical LPs 2,000 approximately. They are actually inside a large closet across the wall with folding doors Which still has room for other stuff. The bedroom door is between the two areas.

All my shelving is modular, and screws/pins together easily. I have moved it once, and it was easy to move. i was even able to box my Lps, and then slide those boxes into the units sideways. Great, as I was able to premove the LPs and store the shelving and Lps in lockers at my new place prior to moving. (and thus could, assemble them at my leisure) I moved them all myself in my car.

My Lps and shelving weigh appoximately one ton.

These shelving modules were (Sauder) from Target years ago. and I have not seen them in a long time. I am fine with that, as i have made a commitment to not add any more shelving, and keep only the LPs i can fit into my current shelving.
So it forces me to weed out stuff to add new stuff.

Hope this description offers you some pleasure.

That is awesome  :thumb: :drool:

Be well...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:44 pm »
Vinyl is very fashion nawadays, even amongs non audiophiles, this fat punk from the Ratos do Porão band swears the sound is better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k4X_di_0idA
So it is cool to own some LPs...what may extend the vinyl life.