The future of vinyl

toocool4

Re: The future of vinyl
« Reply #40 on: 25 Sep 2012, 11:27 am »
The question will Hi-Res put vinyl out of business, for me I don’t think so. They both have their place.

I only have vinyl and tapes and they both do what I want, for me to get a CD or digital system to the same level I have in both my turntable and tape would cost a lot.
I do not want to re-invest. See my avatar for my vinyl player, which is an Acoustic Solid One to One. The tape deck is a Nakamichi CR-7.

One of the only CD players I have heard that I can live with is the Nagra CDC owned by a friend, at almost £10000. For that money I can improve my system even more. So for me why start again when I already have a perfectly good setup.

As to which is better Digital or Vinyl, both done very well can be amazing. So it all comes down to the implementation.

zray72

« Reply #41 on: 25 Sep 2012, 12:37 pm »
I'm heavily invest in vinyl because of performances and artists from previous years. I listen mainly to classical music and artists/performances from the 40s and 50s have not been transcribed to the digit
formats. Plus, part my hobby is going to Goodwill and/or The Salvation Army stores and looking through
their record bins. It keeps me involved with my hobby without the prohibitive cost of constantly updating
equipment

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:52 pm »
Digital done right is great, I'm just passionate about analog. Like I said, it sounds more realistic to me. My opinion of course.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

The thing I find that vinyl does well (assuming a quality system) is a very expanded soundstage.

A lot of other media seems to place instruments in the soundstage in a BIG 'C' shape where the center of the stage is deep but there is not much happening directly behind and to the outside of each speaker. 

james

This is true, James, and I also feel analog gets the tonality of the instruments more correctly.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:38 pm »
  Here we go again with the subjective crap about which is better. I have gotten far greater pleasure from cd than any crappy LP I ever owned, and I had some very well recorded ones . The stuff from years ago is better on LP but that was then ( not since digital technology has matured). When will we quit starting this silly subjective debate? You old farts (I am one as well) need to get past this illusion that analogue is somehow superior.

the illusion i have that winyl is somehow superior happens only when i listen to recorded music.   :green:  for me, there's no getting past it.  i have yet to hear a redbook rig at any price surpass the illusion of music that a $2k winyl rig can present.  sure, i listen to cd's.  i even enjoy them.  but winyl is in a different league.  and either way - winyl or digital  - it is all an illusion.

what is one person's subjective crap is another's aural enlightenment.  why do you care whether some folks think winyl sounds superior to cd's?   i certainly don't care that you have gotten far greater pleasure from cd than any crappy LP you ever owned.  i don't mind your subjective experience, why do you mind mine?

me personally, 90% or more of my listening is to fm, so i am at the mercy of what's being cued up in the studio.   which is ok - while i can tell when they're spinning winyl, the airwaves make cd's sound better...   :lol:

doug s.