V1 - build (photos on page 7)

SteveRB

Re: V1 - build
« Reply #100 on: 30 Oct 2012, 01:57 am »
I also drilled and countersunk (then filed) a screw through the inside hole for the Co-ax to the side panel.

that is a great idea...

...also a little scary.

SteveRB

« Reply #101 on: 9 Nov 2012, 06:23 pm »
UPDATE.

I've been putting in the time on the veneer and edging the teak side panels. They are ready for assembly.

I am still nervous about this next step. My plan is to use a heavy duty (thick) construction adhesive applied to the frame then align and clamp the first side panel. Once fully clamped, I will pre-drill and screw (course black drywall screws) through the two sub boxes (x4) and the co-axe speaker hole (x1). That is five screws total per panel; 10 screws per speaker.

Thoughts?

Tomorrow is the day I have set aside for this. Hopefully I can get all four put together, then it's simple wiring after that (x-overs are built) not sure where to mount them just yet, want to see the whole thing together first.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #102 on: 9 Nov 2012, 06:36 pm »
Nice, I can hardly wait to see them.

I'm sure you know, but just in case.....Drywall screws have a bugle head, youll want to
pre drill and counter sink for the head. I used MDF screws I purchased at Home Depot.
They have a cutting (self tap) tip and a flat head that you dont have to counter sink.
Even with the cutting tip I pre drilled. They are a dark color and Until I sold them a few weeks ago and picked them up to move, I had forgot they were there....they blend in so nicely you dont notice them.

SteveRB

« Reply #103 on: 9 Nov 2012, 07:07 pm »
I'm hoping to keep it all very neat and tidy.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #104 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:15 pm »
UPDATE.

I've been putting in the time on the veneer and edging the teak side panels. They are ready for assembly.

I am still nervous about this next step. My plan is to use a heavy duty (thick) construction adhesive applied to the frame then align and clamp the first side panel. Once fully clamped, I will pre-drill and screw (course black drywall screws) through the two sub boxes (x4) and the co-axe speaker hole (x1). That is five screws total per panel; 10 screws per speaker.

Thoughts?

Tomorrow is the day I have set aside for this. Hopefully I can get all four put together, then it's simple wiring after that (x-overs are built) not sure where to mount them just yet, want to see the whole thing together first.

Do yourself a favor and don't use drywall screws, they make lousy woodscrews...way to brittle and they snap off easily. Use something with a square or torx head and your life will be better  :) Deck screws would be a better bet and easy to get at home center.

I'd reccommend PL Premium at room temperature, to cold and it's just to darn stiff. Dry assemble first, take apart and reassemble with glue. Use less than you think or  it'll be oozing out where you don't want it. A little goes a long way, trust me!

SteveRB

« Reply #105 on: 10 Nov 2012, 09:42 pm »
ok, first one didn't go as well as I hoped.

The screws through the co-axe speaker hole started to split the mdf slightly. So instantly that option was out for me. As well, one of the side panels had a decent bow in it which I had to fight with while glueing.

Currently I have one speaker drying fully clamped up. I am using Titebond heavy duty construction adhesive: similar to PL400. I am worried about removing the clamps and having the bow tear itself apart. The data sheets on the glue say I can remove clamps after 24hrs.

My plan is to use fasteners from the outside, through the teak at the top and bottom where only the glue is holding. I'm thinking of brass or recessed hex screws. I don't mind this approach seeing as I am going for the Danish modern look and this was done all the time on designer furniture of the era.

Any thoughts or comments? I would like to glue up the other one tomorrow afternoon.

This has been a stressful morning.

See below for image of designer table with visible screws:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #106 on: 10 Nov 2012, 10:19 pm »
ok, first one didn't go as well as I hoped.

The screws through the co-axe speaker hole started to split the mdf slightly. So instantly that option was out for me. As well, one of the side panels had a decent bow in it which I had to fight with while glueing.

Currently I have one speaker drying fully clamped up. I am using Titebond heavy duty construction adhesive: similar to PL400. I am worried about removing the clamps and having the bow tear itself apart. The data sheets on the glue say I can remove clamps after 24hrs.

My plan is to use fasteners from the outside, through the teak at the top and bottom where only the glue is holding. I'm thinking of brass or recessed hex screws. I don't mind this approach seeing as I am going for the Danish modern look and this was done all the time on designer furniture of the era.

Any thoughts or comments? I would like to glue up the other one tomorrow afternoon.

Here's my theory. Did you predrill a clearance hole the MDF in the co-ax opening? I'm guessing the answer is no. The screw theads should only engage the outermost side, not the front panel edge. Having the threads engage in the front panel will cause screw jacking and doesn't serve to pull the panels together. MDF will often split when you drive a screw in it's edge, And it will do it when you drive the screw from the outside in the same way.

SteveRB

« Reply #107 on: 10 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm »
I drilled a pilot hole. And the head of the screw wedged the mdf apart.

I guess my question is, will the glue hold the panels on their own if clamped for 24hrs?

I'm leaning towards 'yes' but would like a decent back up plan.

Thanks for the help.

persisting1

« Reply #108 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:01 pm »
If the manufacturer says it dries in 24 hours, then I wouldn't worry.

SteveRB

« Reply #109 on: 10 Nov 2012, 11:32 pm »
If the manufacturer says it dries in 24 hours, then I wouldn't worry.

That's what I'm thinking right about now. The screws would have been nice to line things up and expedite the process. But seriously, I have a couple square feet of surfaces bonded with heavy duty construction adhesive. After 24hrs, there not going anywhere...

Adding any screws at this point would be a little redundant and just add work.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #110 on: 12 Nov 2012, 02:03 am »
SteveRB,

That is a really clean look you have on those side panels......... I would not go with the exposed screw look. I know it is modern Danish and comes from the classic clean look, but to me in this day of mass produced design it will cheapen it up and give it an Ikea look. I'm only commenting because I think as I said earlier you hit this design on the head and to me you need to stick wih it, just my 2 cents...

SteveRB

« Reply #111 on: 13 Nov 2012, 05:03 pm »
Thanks for the help and kind words this weekend.

As expected the glue held fine and the speakers look great. I forgot my camera at work over the long weekend so photos will come. The speakers are loads and I am currently wiring them up. With any luck I should have music tonight. There will be a few extra days needed (extra sunny days) to cut the grill cloth frames and heavy plinths.

The screws would have helped line things up and square up the skeleton frames a bit better. As it sits, I am a couple mm (1/8") out of square. Not bad for building these in a 8'x8' store room.

As well, I haven't decided on speaker cables yet... Danny ships on pair of tube connectors with the kit. So I won't be doing the final wiring of them until I upgrade my cable set.

SteveRB

« Reply #112 on: 15 Nov 2012, 06:12 pm »
MUSIC !!!

Wow, had my first session with these last night. As I mentioned they are cobbled together a bit right now. But, wow! Also, will need help setting the servo amps and room placement.

First impressions: Very tight, articulate and musical. I was expecting a more aggressive soundstage, but the presentation went much further side-to-side and back rather than forward. I ran through some Karen Dalton, Nick Drake, Bill Callahan and Prince last night.

I am super busy with work for the next 36 hours, but early tomorrow afternoon I bunkering myself in to run everything from OutKast, to the Stones, to African beats.

Photos still to come... sorry.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #113 on: 15 Nov 2012, 07:37 pm »
Looking forward to seeing some pictures Steve, congrats on getting them to sing!

persisting1

« Reply #114 on: 15 Nov 2012, 08:46 pm »
Looking forward to seeing some pictures Steve, congrats on getting them to sing!

Indeed  :thumb: Finish them and get to posting  Wink2

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #115 on: 15 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm »
Yep, that was always the first thing people said about my V-1s.....how deep and wide the
presentation was on certain recordings.....and WOW!... It took mine about 100hrs to really shine if I remember correctly.

I think your really gonna enjoy them.......have fun.

SteveRB

« Reply #116 on: 23 Nov 2012, 08:23 pm »
Issue:

The servo amps seem to have a buzz, from the amp not the speakers, when powered off -- red LED on, switch set to either OFF or AUTO. The buzz is audible in the room.

They are plugged directly into separate outlets -- no power bars or power conditioners.

Any thoughts?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #117 on: 23 Nov 2012, 08:45 pm »
Issue:

The servo amps seem to have a buzz, from the amp not the speakers, when powered off -- red LED on, switch set to either OFF or AUTO. The buzz is audible in the room.

They are plugged directly into separate outlets -- no power bars or power conditioners.

Any thoughts?
Have you plugged anything else into the circuit recently? You may have set up a ground loop.

SteveRB

« Reply #118 on: 23 Nov 2012, 08:50 pm »
it's an older house.

I have not added anything new to the circuit recently. Most of my hifi, tv, computer equipment is on the same line.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #119 on: 23 Nov 2012, 09:52 pm »
If I'm reading it right, you developed a hum in both amps at the same time, which is unusual. As an experiment, you could try floating the ground on one for a short time and see if the hum goes away. Not a good solution long term.....