Dedicated Power Line Recommendations - REPRISE!

audiodave33

Re: Dedicated Power Line Recommendations - REPRISE!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2012, 09:03 pm »
I've experimented with receptacles and they certainly make a difference and can be matched up with power cords.  The Oyaide R1 is very smooth and detailed and mates very well with power cords that also have an Oyaide plug.  The TeslaPlex has a bigger and more dynamic sound stage than the R1. 

When I put in my direct lines I wish I had looked into balanced power (you can find out more at www.equitech.com) as well, in particular the wall cabinet systems.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #21 on: 25 Aug 2012, 12:28 am »
Ok - I'm afraid to ask - how much for an "entry level" equitech wall cabinet system?  Guess I should just call them & ask.

Presumably these can be run as sub-panels? 

Basic load center panels seems to go for $100 - but w/out all the breakers  / isolation transformer / filtering etc that these have.  I'm guessing this thing is going to be WAY more.  What have I got myself into  :duh:

This is sorta veering into power conditioning that I was advising against discussing in this thread - but as folks have answered so much already..........

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 25 Aug 2012, 02:21 am »
Ok - I'm afraid to ask - how much for an "entry level" equitech wall cabinet system?  Guess I should just call them & ask.

Basic load center panels seems to go for $100 - but w/out all the breakers  / isolation transformer / filtering etc that these have.  I'm guessing this thing is going to be WAY more.  What have I got myself into  :duh:

This is sorta veering into power conditioning that I was advising against discussing in this thread - but as folks have answered so much already..........

Yeah, an equitech sub panel would be great.

I am using these receptacles link below), they are hospital grade and made for MRI rooms, so no magnetic parts or platings, this is a good thing. I've read recommendations for many other brands, but you need to be careful you aren't ordering a receptacle with a steel strap and nickle plating, you want a brass strap and unplated contacts.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-MRI82-T-15-Amp-125-Volt-Receptacle/dp/B0050T3DC8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345861057&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=leviton+mri+receptacle

I have 2 in my walls, and 2 more ready to go into my surge protector / line conditioner. It was a significant improvement over my 25 year old $.59 receptacles, but that's not saying much... I'm not paying big $ for receptacles, it's not possible to make them out of copper, so IMO, an unplated brass receptacle with the "hospital grade" rating for increased contact grip and construction quality is as good as it's going to get. But I'll keep an open mind that a $300 receptacle would be awesome, feel free to PM me if anyone would like to send me one...  :thumb:

Occam

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2012, 02:59 am »

Dunno, this would obvious fall under the purview of you local electrical codes, largely influenced by NEC. If you're considering installing technical (balanced) power integrated into you're home's infrastructure as a point of service, which is not a in commercial or industrial environment, I'd suggest you contact your local electrical inspectors to find out if that would meet your local electrical codes, and what the specific requirements would be.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:19 am »
If you were just running the equitech as a sub panel off your main panel, maybe wouldn't run wrong of code?  Or if it was still "safe" but didn't meet a home inspectors inspection at time of property sale, guess you could just disconnect it?

I'm guessing these things are pricey & you'd want to take it with you to your next property anyway.  Will write equitech & ask how much.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:21 am »
Thanks Dave for the receptacle suggestion. Anything you or other would suggest in a 20A receptacle just in case?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:28 am »
Speaking to local high end audio dealer who also does installs, he clarified that on breaker installs you probably want to choose locations that are not in phase w/ dirty stuff like refrigerators / ac's / etc if you can. 

He also seemed to like the idea of AV sub panels, but only if they had an isolation transformer, otherwise there wasn't a point.  Think he threw out a name like "Torus". 

Anyway -repeating second hand information here.

Will add at the least the breaker phase tip to the "suggestion list" as this doesn't seem to cost extra.........

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:41 am »

Uhm - they actually have a price list on their website: http://www.equitech.com/purchase/prices.html

$8,800 for the "entry level" wall cabinet system.  Guess I won't be doing that  :(

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:45 am »
Uhm - they actually have a price list on their website: http://www.equitech.com/purchase/prices.html

$8,800 for the "entry level" wall cabinet system.  Guess I won't be doing that  :(

Lol, I've checked out their website before... I think it's a good idea, but only if money isn't an issue. If you have a 6 figure system I suppose it seems reasonable...

Leviton does have a 20A MRI receptacle:

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-MRI83-W-Receptacle-Straight-Grounding/dp/B003AU8QK8/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345861057&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=leviton+mri+receptacle

Also, I'm not sure about isolation trafos, you'd need a pretty big one. It might not work out for power amps, but maybe for sources? Occam has probably tried it, maybe he knows... :)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2012, 01:22 pm »

Leviton does have a 20A MRI receptacle:

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-MRI83-W-Receptacle-Straight-Grounding/dp/B003AU8QK8/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345861057&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=leviton+mri+receptacle

This is definitely a good price point.

Probably the only difference between the 15A and the 20A dual receptacles is the shape of the slot.  As all the internal parts of the 15 amp unit by rule must be rated at 20 amps.  The only time a 20A receptacle is needed is if you have a component with a 20A plug.

I don't see a "TR" (Tamper Resistant) logo on the receptacle so an inspector might get snippy.  But if a small child gets behind your equipment they/you have other safety problems.

audiodave33

« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm »
Interesting article on the equitech panel -
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/equitech/1.html

The other thing is once I put in direct lines I found most conditioners I tried actually made the sound worse, they put veil in front of the music.  YMMV.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2012, 11:01 pm »

The other thing is once I put in direct lines I found most conditioners I tried actually made the sound worse, they put veil in front of the music.  YMMV.

Good point in that article about getting the local inspector to sign off on the plan BEFORE you do it. I recently designed and built a 30kW multi-stage timed switching system using a PLC type contoller for a manufacturing biz, and the inspector seemed like he very much appreciated having him inspect the schematic before it was built.

I think I'm going to look into what it would take to DIY a balanced power subpanel...

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #32 on: 26 Aug 2012, 12:13 am »
Good point in that article about getting the local inspector to sign off on the plan BEFORE you do it. I recently designed and built a 30kW multi-stage timed switching system using a PLC type contoller for a manufacturing biz, and the inspector seemed like he very much appreciated having him inspect the schematic before it was built.

I think I'm going to look into what it would take to DIY a balanced power subpanel...

If you have a good inspector or AHJ, he should recognize that the room does not look like a kitchen or bathroom or bedroom or any other room in a residence. So the residential restriction on balanced power should not apply.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2012, 12:21 am »
Whit the exceptions of the 3phase panel-board and the emphasis on ground rods, this might be a good start.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 26 Aug 2012, 04:38 am »

Wow - that is a glowing review.  Wish I made the big bucks for one of those wall cabinet units. 

Anyone have experience w/ Equi-tech  "Q" or "Son of Q" stand alone units.  If they provide most or a large % of the benefits of the the wall cabinet unit, these may be a better cost / benefit option.  Perhaps even more than dedicated line(s)?

Sorta getting off the path of the original thread, but as the original thread seems to have been pretty thoroughly answered.....

ctviggen

« Reply #35 on: 26 Aug 2012, 01:38 pm »
What I did was ran metal conduit from my panel to a metal box at my system.  I put two hospital grade, insulated ground outlets in the box.  I ran individual wires (THHN) to each outlet.  I ran 10 gauge hot and neutral to each outlet and also 10 gauge ground to each outlet.  I had the wires cryogenically treated.  Each outlet (also cryoed) is connected to a 20 amp circuit breaker.  Each outlet is a 20 A outlet.  I also ran a 10 gauge wire for a ground to the metal box (technically not required, but ran just to ensure that if the metal conduit gets damaged somehow/you lose the ground through the metal conduit, there's still a ground to the insulated grounds of the outlets; in my case, considering the conduit, the panel, and the outlets are all in the same room and the conduit is in the joists in the ceiling, it would be highly unlikely to lose the ground by the conduit).  I also put each outlet on the same phase. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare this against, so it's not possible for my to make any decision whether this helps or not.  I had everything inspected.

I'd love to have a balanced system, but these are quite expensive and there's no room for me to install one of these. Maybe in the next house, although they're still too expensive.  Considering I'm likely to lose quite a bit of money on this house, and then still have to put 20% down on the next house, it's unlikely I'll ever have the money for a balanced system.

drummermitchell

« Reply #36 on: 26 Aug 2012, 02:10 pm »
Torus has two wall mount units the 60a and 100a,don't know the pricing on those.
My 60a balanced rack mount was a little over 5000 a few years ago and my 20a balanced was around 3000.
The transformers are massive for sure and can handle my 28's with no effort at all compare to the wall(even with dedicated lines).
These will stay with my system as they make a huge difference compared to just connecting to the wall.
I think the Six moons review at describing what they can do is pretty much it.
I know my ears and the music love what these do and they won't be leaving any time soon :D.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #37 on: 30 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm »
I inquired about Torus units from the closest authorized dealer.  Here is what he responded:

The AIO-11302-00 retails for $14,200.00, though we could sell for $12,780.00 (plus tax, no labor included).

If you are interested in this unit at 5kVA, there is a 12.5kVA unit (AIO-11298-00) which more than doubles the total power VA for less than 10% additional cost retailing at $15,600.00.  We could sell that at $14,040.00 (plus tax, no labor included).

Sorry folks - this is too rich for my blood.  If I were a commercial recording studio - or seriously rich - I'd consider it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 1 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm »
Sorry folks - this is too rich for my blood.  If I were a commercial recording studio - or seriously rich - I'd consider it.
+1

ctviggen

« Reply #39 on: 1 Sep 2012, 02:37 pm »
Another problem with the versions you install in a wall is that you have to have the wall to install them in.  In my case, I don't have that space, as my breaker box is in my family room. 

It's hard to see, but on the right side of the above picture, between the fireplace mantel and the front of the house, is where my breaker box is.  The breaker box is covered now by a black realtrap and a white bass trap (both of which are movable so there is access to the box).  There's no space to put in a huge transformer.  There's about a foot or so of space, and that is riddled with a ton of wires.