Audiophile music servers for computer novice?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Audiophile music servers for computer novice?
« on: 30 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm »
As I'm viewing the collapse of the CD based empire it's obvious that it is time to move on.  Actually tried a modded SB3 about 6 years ago, but it took hours to get it running, and then only with the help of a friend here at AC.  Then the headaches really started with software glitches every few days that left me without music until I somehow would stumble onto a solution (or it fixed itself?).  So I dropped back to spinning CD’s.

I’m 50 something and have been around audio and computers since the 70’s, but never a computer geek, and long ago moved to a position strictly a user (definitely not a tweaker).  So I’m looking for a high sound quality plug-in-play solution that provides zero headaches (I have multiple CD/DVD’s around the house to spin discs with and from what I see will continue for AV use) so I’ll continue to hold out if no solution can be found to fit my needs.

I’m also budget conscious, so let’s keep pricing semi-sane (I see little reason why someone hasn’t come up with a sub $1000 USD solution for something like this).  Shooting for one-box turn-key solution, no DAC, wireless, 1 TB of storage, internet radio, 24/192 capable, and friendly/remote control (thinking along the lines of iTouch/iPad/iPhone apps) for several genres of music.  Need for external backup is critical. 

Olive O4HD is a possible candidate, but according to the forums service is a very big question mark and all files are “Olive encoded” so as to be unusable by other devices.  A “stock” Vortex is too much for me, the Sonore by Simple Design looks intriguing but no mention of internet radio.  Mach2music could be a possibility, but a bit pricey and again no mention of internet radio. 

Maybe I’ll just buy a mini and run headless.  I’m thankful for JohnR’s recent Apple Mini tutorial, but even that seem daunting to me.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Audiophile music servers for computer novice?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2012, 11:12 pm »
I was in the same boat 10 months ago.  I could see that computers were inevitable, but was leery of the learning curve.  I really think that the solution may be with one of our members, HAL.  As a labor of love, he has put together a very top flight Windows based server for about $500.  It works very well, it's easy to work with, and sounds every bit as good as any Apple based server that I've heard.  Shoot him a PM as he can answer questions much better than I can. This doesn't meet all your specs as it does require a dac

My first impressions are here.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98467.0

Scott

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm »
Well, I don't know that it's possible to keep it super simple, but I would offer this suggestion. Buy a Mini and install Pure Music. Keep your tunes on an external RAID enclosure, and you'll be good to go.

I run my setup headless and us an iPad to control playback. It works very well.

Oh, and it's likely you'll need need a DAC. I have a Bifrost and it meets my needs.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm »
JLM, I still build the MS-1 Music Server that Scott is using.  Listening to mine now! :)

Please let me know if there is any info that you are looking for beyond the thread and I will be happy to help.

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2012, 09:41 am »
I was in the same boat 10 months ago.  I could see that computers were inevitable, but was leery of the learning curve.  I really think that the solution may be with one of our members, HAL.  As a labor of love, he has put together a very top flight Windows based server for about $500.  It works very well, it's easy to work with, and sounds every bit as good as any Apple based server that I've heard.  Shoot him a PM as he can answer questions much better than I can. This doesn't meet all your specs as it does require a dac

My first impressions are here.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98467.0

Scott

Thanks so very much Scott, personally I have no investment into Apple at this point(but they're in the house).  I won't be needing a built in DAC.

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2012, 09:43 am »
Well, I don't know that it's possible to keep it super simple, but I would offer this suggestion. Buy a Mini and install Pure Music. Keep your tunes on an external RAID enclosure, and you'll be good to go.

I run my setup headless and us an iPad to control playback. It works very well.

Oh, and it's likely you'll need need a DAC. I have a Bifrost and it meets my needs.

Yes a mini is the obvious choice, but even that scares me (again I've already got a DAC).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2012, 03:44 pm »
What software are you guys using?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:04 pm »
Foobar2000 workes very well on the MS-1 hardware with Windows 7 for bit perfect replay. 

One user likes JRiver MediaCenter and installed that after he received the unit.  Last I heard he likes it very much.   

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:15 pm »
I was facing a similar delimma a couple years ago. I started with a Cambridge Audio 640H. It has CD player, internet radio stations they provide (limited) and 120 gig hard drive. It soon showed its limits. At this time I am using a Vista based notebook. I paid a fee for a very good ripping software package called dbPoweramp. It is very easy to use and automaticly tags the files with cover art. It costs $38. I then purchased jriver media center which handles the playback and library functions. You can store links to internet radio stations and playback through media center. Media center comes with many features such as multi band eq, room eq. and a number of other tools if one whats to explore them. So, I put to work a laptop not being used. Bought a 1.5 TB usb hard drive for around $110. Paid about $80 for software downloads.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:19 pm »
Good deal, thanks HAL.
I'm a recent convert from "SqueezeAggravation" to a WIN7 PC server using JRiver and USB HDD and an Andriod 10" tablet to control the music with Gizmo and/or UnifiedRemote as the GUI.

Somedays I wonder if I've jumped from the frying pan into the fire.  :?

Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:46 pm »
I have experience with both Windows and Mac servers. Either would work fine, and there are great players on both platforms...even for bleeding edge formats like my fave, pure native DSD (the format formerly only relegated to SACD discs).  I have a max'd out Hynes-powered Mac Mini with Audirvana Plus and Pure Music, both doing DSD, etc. I am a beta tester for both of these players, and also use J River on Windows to do tagging in the DSD realm, etc. Both platforms are ready for you.

HOWEVER, there is one platform we haven't talked much about....a dummy-proof plug-n-play platform that doesn't require huge $$ but will do all formats beautifully and runs 24/7. My Auraliti PK90USB is a $750 Linux MPD server, and it includes a $350 SoTM USB card, the one the highly touted Windows Caps V2 is spec'd with (for good reason). It just works, 24/7. There is no need to choose a player cuz it is integrated with the OS. The box is a minimalist approach; it doesn't do display or email or anything but music serving. I have it attached to both a local USB drive and my 8TB Synology NAS (optional, works with both). I could use any number of free GUI clients (not players, just GUI front ends) but my fave is the $2.99 mPad app for my iPad (similar to Apple's remote app). Many DACs are Linux friendly, meaning you don't need a specific driver to load, and it plays to 24/192 easily. Did I say it's trouble free? I added a Paul Hynes external power supply to replace the PK90USB's cheap wallwart, and voila, a tremendous sounding music server. The Auraliti guys dial in and make any changes required (like when I asked for DSD support). Simple, efficient and for that reason, great sonics. Requires an ethernet cable in and a USB cable out to your DAC (or USB converter).

Just another option. FYI.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:35 pm »
Hey guys I could free up my nice laptop which runs my squeeze server stuff by just having a used netbook right? Throw the server on it and I'm done right, it will also have web access from it also. The SB server doesn't need super performance hardware behind it correct.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2012, 07:33 pm »
Ed,
I have run the latest Logitech Media Center version of SB on my ASUS Intel Atom Netbook with very good results.  The most important part is the WiFi router from my experience with SB.

jkelly

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2012, 07:54 pm »
On the same groove as Ted and Hal - if you have some basic knowledge of linux,
VortexBox is a nice distro that installs linux operating system on the box with
logitech media server and other servers and has ripping built in.

http://vortexbox.org/content/

Jeff

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2012, 07:59 pm »
On the same groove as Ted and Hal - if you have some basic knowledge of linux,
VortexBox is a nice distro that installs linux operating system on the box with
logitech media server and other servers and has ripping built in.
Too many big scary words in that paragraph.  :|

trackball02

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2012, 09:43 pm »
I was in a similar situation last year. My solution was to get a HP Slimline PC from Costco, wireless mouse, and installed JRiver. I specified 2TB hard drive, maxed out on the RAM and also added a tuner card and Blu Ray drive. I am using an external USB DAC.

On the Costco web site, they have a HP Pavillion Slimline 1TB and 6GB for $479.99 that will fit your needs quite nicely.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2012, 10:20 pm »
On the Costco web site, they have a HP Pavillion Slimline 1TB and 6GB for $479.99 that will fit your needs quite nicely.

$429.99 here....

trackball02

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2012, 10:30 pm »
429.99 at Best Buy is even a better deal. I do like Costco due to its free tech support, 90 day return policy and 2 year warranty.

I used their HP Customize page so that I was able to exactly specify the features that I needed.

The size of the slimline is not that large and fits nicely on my audio rack.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #18 on: 1 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm »
I was in a similar situation last year. My solution was to get a HP Slimline PC from Costco, wireless mouse, and installed JRiver. I specified 2TB hard drive, maxed out on the RAM and also added a tuner card and Blu Ray drive. I am using an external USB DAC.

I've got to dive in here.  If this is for a "computer novice" as the thread is titled, buying something from Costco, which would imply basically no support or outsourced support, versus getting something from Rich (HAL) for roughly the same money, where you can call the guy who put it together is a no-brainer. When I first got my MS-1, I probably called Rich once a week.  I'd have given up and still been spinning cd's without the support.  There may be better options for the computer savy- Linux, etc. But for a novice, go with an AC guy that will help you through the learning curve.
Scott

trackball02

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm »
I'm a "computer novice" as well. I wanted an out of the box solution. It was not too hard to plug in a fully configured PC and install JRiver. The hardest part was to make sure JRiver was correctly configured for the best quality sound and to learn the ins and out of JRiver as well as install the PC driver for my Eastern Electric DAC. JRiver has very good online support. I use Google Chrome and JRiver for my internet radio. I was up and running in no time.