Resistors

Emil

Resistors
« on: 14 May 2012, 02:02 am »

Never used them until recently and found the balance more to my liking. Im looking to experiment with a little less attenuation then the supplied 1.2 ohms. Are they available from magnepan? Would something like this work?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=005-1&utm_source=Bazaarvoiceps

Thanks

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: Resistors
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2012, 03:11 pm »
Absolutely - Mills are excellent resistors. You might even try a bit less than an ohm. Season to taste.  :lol:

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2012, 03:59 pm »
Thanks Kevin
I was told if I wanted to try 0.75 ohms, I would need to use 2, 1.5 ohm resisitors in "parallel". Does that mean attaching both 1.5 ohms end to end and then inserting or just insert both into positive and negative separetely?

Confused

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2012, 05:41 pm »
It simply means attaching a second resistor in precisely the same manner as the first (end to end suggests series, not parallel), but I seriously doubt that's necessary with a 12W resistor - the fuse will open long before you'll challenge that resistor. At the rating of the fuse, a .75 ohm resistor will dissipate about 5W.

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2012, 06:47 pm »
Just found that Sonic Craft has any value one would want. 

http://www.soniccraft.com/mills_resistors.htm

Now I need to decide on  a starting point   :dunno:

Æ

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2012, 06:48 pm »
Thanks Kevin
I was told if I wanted to try 0.75 ohms, I would need to use 2, 1.5 ohm resisitors in "parallel". Does that mean attaching both 1.5 ohms end to end and then inserting or just insert both into positive and negative separetely?

Confused

Two resistors connected together, end to end, the end of one resistor to one end of the other resistor is 'series' and would give you 3 ohms.
Two resistors side by side, both connected together at both ends would be parallel for 0.75 ohms.

mark funk

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2012, 09:31 pm »
When I buy resistors I like Dale,

http://www.vishay.com/

:smoke:

Davey

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2012, 09:32 pm »
The Mills resistors are rather expensive, but should be fine.

The rule-of-thumb with Magnepan tweeter drivers is 0.5 ohms equals 1db of attenuation.  If you buy a batch of 2 ohm resistors you can create a variety of combinations from too high to too low.

I use 1.5 ohm resistors on the tweeters on my MMG's which yields 2.9db attenuation.  I find that amount just right....but different Maggie models or different rooms or different amplifiers might require a different value.

Dave.

Emil

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2012, 12:48 pm »
Thanks for the help guys

I ordered the 0.91 and 0.75 ohm from Sonic Craft to go along with the maggie supplied 1.2 ohms.

Shipping and handling cost almost as much as the resisitors :(

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2012, 02:59 pm »
  Emil, once you settle on the value desired . buy a pair of Dueland Cast Resistors. Not cheap however the results are staggering.
   Latley we have been experimenting with Dueland crossover components. Every crossover we tried them in improved the speaker drmatically. First was the Analysis Omega. So far the best sound we have ever heard from them. The resistor alone was tried before all Dueland parts.  Next are the Lenehan speakers. Every model improved, now being offered in the "R" series. With the resistor alone the top end of speakers tried was glorious. No brightness, no highlighting, nada, just pure treble bliss.
   I cannot recco the Duelands enough. Again not inexpensive however worth every penny. We used Mils for years, then Mundorf, now only Dueland.

charles

Davey

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2012, 03:24 pm »
The Dueland resistors are just simple graphite rods with silver lead-out wires.  (Low inductance result.)

You can make your own for much less cost.....if so inclined.  :)

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/graphite.htm

But actually, resistor inductance might be considered an advantage in some circumstances/environments.

Cheers,

Dave.

Æ

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2012, 06:10 pm »

mark funk

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2012, 08:05 pm »

:thumb:

:smoke:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2012, 02:47 am »
The Dueland resistors are just simple graphite rods with silver lead-out wires.  (Low inductance result.)

I might add that those pigtails are friggin' delicate - I had one break during a crossover swap (and I'm careful with such things). I really didn't care - you probably know what crossover that was (and I'll never use it again :wink:).

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2012, 03:14 pm »
Must consider the -/+ tolerances as many are as high as 20% tolerance.  While I don't use Resistors to Attentunate with my Planars, I do use resistors in my guitar amps and Dale-Vishay's are my preference, or properly stated, my amp tech's preferred resistor. 

Jim

Emsquare

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2012, 07:24 pm »

You can make your own for much less cost.....if so inclined.  :)

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/graphite.htm

But actually, resistor inductance might be considered an advantage in some circumstances/environments.

Cheers,

Dave.

Out of curiosity I pulled a lead out of a mechanical pencil and got about an Ohm when measured at the very ends (3 inches). Looks like a far cheaper way to try it and no one will think you're a nut for roasting pencils.

Hopefully we can get some humor from this.

"The #1 leads are a bit brittle sounding and the #2 is a little dark. But used in parallel they compliment each other and sound just right."

josh358

« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2012, 07:45 pm »
Hopefully we can get some humor from this.

"The #1 leads are a bit brittle sounding and the #2 is a little dark. But used in parallel they compliment each other and sound just right."

That isn't humor these days, more like starting a business. :-)

Emsquare

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2012, 10:15 pm »
That isn't humor these days, more like starting a business. :-)

That's great. I have an idea for a speaker wire line that is pretty devious. If I can only convince myself that it is not only ethical but brilliant as a concept then I might get the gumption up to do something with it. Hypnosis perhaps? Why oh why did I ever decide that I want to be morally upright? That was dumb.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2012, 10:53 pm »
I've found the red #2 pencil leads to be a bit more forward sounding.

josh358

« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2012, 01:12 am »
That's great. I have an idea for a speaker wire line that is pretty devious. If I can only convince myself that it is not only ethical but brilliant as a concept then I might get the gumption up to do something with it. Hypnosis perhaps? Why oh why did I ever decide that I want to be morally upright? That was dumb.

Me too. I was running an exotic resistor company, and decided to clean up my act. Since I've been running the bordello, my income has fallen in half, and my penicillin bill has gone through the roof.