Ebay Sucks!! (long with pictures)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 23 May 2004, 01:28 pm »
Well, looks like I finally got screwed buying on Ebay.  I recently came in second on an auction for a Crown K2 amp.  When the winner didn't come through, the seller contacted me and asked if I wanted to buy the amp.  I decided to go for it and sent the funds.

The seller was responsive and shipped the unit via UPS ground after receiving my money.  He had a rating of 374 with 100% positive feedback so I felt that my risks were minimal.

Well the unit arrives and I take it out of the box...

This things is scratched to hell with some sheet metal bent!!  If you look at the seller's ad, he states the following:

Item for Sale: The photos featured in this auction show the actual item being auctioned in its original factory box and packaging.

This is a Crown K2 professional power amplifier. The amplifier is in excellent condition and works perfectly. The amplifier will be shipped in its original factory box with its original packaging, and original user manual.

Here are some actual pics of the unit:

Do these pictures show an amp in excellent condition?

So I send the seller an e-mail asking to return the amp because it doesn't match the ad in terms of the condition of the gear.  He writes back and says:
I will not warrant the exterior of the amplifier as stated above.  Wearing and scratches do not affect audio quality and working condition.

Unfortunately, I broke my own cardinal rule and didn't pay with a credit card.  So now unless he changes his mind, I am not sure what I can do besides file something with Ebay (which won't get me my money back).

I have put the amp into the system to try it (to make sure it even works), but I am not sure it is working correctly.  The bass doesn't seem any better than my Adcom GFA 555 Mk II.   :cry:

I think this experience will end my Ebay buying.  I have never had this type of issue when buying here or on Audiogon.

Just felt like I needed to vent a bit...

George

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2004, 01:46 pm »
yup ebay is getting too risky-
i have a 100$ limit on used ebay stuff no matter how bad i might want it.

and why the-f  did you do a back door deal when the winner didnt have any feedback-that would have sent alarm bells off in my head :nono:
at least if it came back up and this happened after you won it you could have got ebay involved, now your sol.

i was in a auction that the seller was bidding up against me, the friggin idiot didnt have enough upstairs to at least use another name-maybe your guy is smarter :? man thats a lot of george to eat :!: hook it up to some full range speakers and take a listen, bass differences can be hard to distinguish when listening to music, also try a heavy bass dvd track and see if it farts or chuggs from abuse, it dont look well taken care of.

kaveat emptor (correct spelling?)

jasonc

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2004, 01:56 pm »
The guy that sold that to you is a complete ASS!  It looks like it got attacked by a pack of wolves!!!
How can someone pull this type of thing and have so many past postive ratings???  
I feel for you and I hope this loser developes a concious and sends you your money back quick.  Perhaps a bunch of us AC'ers can email this guy requesting him to do so..
These things make me mad!

Lost81

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2004, 02:04 pm »
OMG!

:o  :o  :o

And that thing still works?

:?

-Lost81

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2004, 02:07 pm »
That amp looks like it was traveling DJ's piece....beat to shit ! Where does the seller live ? :guns:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2004, 02:11 pm »
Quote from: jasonc
It looks like it got attacked by a pack of wolves!!!
Hey,hey, hey.....I had nothing to do with that amp ! I think it was a pitbull !....... :lol:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2004, 02:12 pm »
Was this a "Second Chance" offer actually done through eBay or just a private e-mail offering the amp???   There would be some recourse if it went through eBay maybe???  Their arbitration process is a pain but might be worth it with the $$$$ involved.

Would you be satisfied with a partial refund for the poor condition or are you insisting on a full refund???

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2004, 02:15 pm »
Unfortunately Baton Rogue, LA.

As you can see form the ad, he GREATLY misrepresented the piece.

Roscoeny, I agree with what you said.

I basically paid the price of the bidder below me who had 79 trades.  If the only bidder had been somebody with zero feedback it would have set off bells.

My subjective sound test was Seabiscuit last night (lots of bass from the horses running).  I will do more today and see what happens.

If the guy doesn't step up and take the unit back, I am going to contact Crown and see if they can check out the amp and maybe put a new top plate on it...

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2004, 02:20 pm »
Where's the link for this auction ? I'd like to see who not to deal with !

tom1356

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2004, 02:21 pm »
It looks like it was draged from his house to yours. Ouch!

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2004, 02:34 pm »
click on the blue words- ad- in first post for auction

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2004, 02:46 pm »
George, do you have the input sensitivity set to 1.4V on the back?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2004, 03:10 pm »
This the one, item lost or broken...... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29922&item=3721176460&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Reading ad...."selling due to a back injury".....must of dropped the amp down a few flights of stairs ! And check or money order only....And futher reading his past feedback, he was auctioning off DJ equipement !!!!

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2004, 03:28 pm »
Looks like seller "brightsideview" had TWO Crown amps--- the description in the first auction included the "currently" offered amp and one upcoming--
"Other items for sale: Check out my current auctions for other professional audio equipment which includes: Crown K2 amplifier, Rane AC-22B....... Check my future auctions on JBL SR Series and EAW LA Series loudspeakers and subwoofers, Crown K2 and QSC PLX amps, additional Rane mixers ...... Buy now and skip eBay! "

Maybe he took the pic of the better amp and sold the beater to George???

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2004, 03:38 pm »
Rob,

I goofed and sensitivity was set for 26db.  I just switched it to 1.4v and it is a very different sounding amp.

At least it now is working like I expected.

You guys are all pointing out a few things that make me feel like a fool!   :oops:

Guess my previous good trades on Ebay + the perfect trades on Audiogon lulled me into a sense of false security and I got sloppy.

Very painful lesson learned.

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2004, 03:44 pm »
So, Ebay does not suck :nono: , you just have to do your homework on the sellers. When in doubt...pass it buy. Always another auction coming down the road. Just a matter of time. (IMO) :)

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2004, 03:49 pm »
Glad to hear that it is now up to speed!

With feedback like the seller has, it would be an easy mistake to make and certainly one I might have made under similar circumstances.

Don't beat yourself up too bad over it.

Thanks for warning us all though.

Also Crown has a WONDERFUL service dept.  I highly recommend you call them and ask about new top plates.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2004, 03:52 pm »
Actually, Ebay does suck!!

This has never happened to me on Audiogon or here.  Not saying it can't happen, it just hasn't.

Also, I highlu doubt somebody with such a perfect rating on Audiogon would behave in this manner.

I just received another e-mail from the seller:

I did not misrepresent the equipment.  it is in perfect working condition.

Any system where somebody can have perfect feedback and respond like that sucks!!   :finger:  :finger:  :finger:

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2004, 04:01 pm »
Quote from: zybar

I just received another e-mail from the seller:

I did not misrepresent the equipment.  it is in perfect working condition.

Any system where somebody can have perfect feedback and respond like that sucks!!   :finger:  :finger:  :finger:

George
See... perfect working condition....if you happen to have a tin ear !! You did not win the auction, you went outside of ebay to make the purchase. The seller sucks....I'll agree to that !! 8) >>>>> George, how much was this amp ??? <<<<<

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2004, 04:31 pm »
He totally lied!  He said the pictures were of the actual amp.  To me, that implies the piece is in the condition it is in the picture.  He must have taken those pictures before the amp was put through the ringer.  This guy is scum of the lowest kind.  I'd report the information to Ebay to see if you can get retribution.  There is no way this can be allowed.  I wish I lived closer to the swamp-land where this guy lives.  It looks like a couple gators were chewing on that amp.  Must have been used in a commercial application.  

Either way, I'd post bad feedback for him and offer this link in your feedback.  He needs to feel some pain for putting you through this.  I'd also post his email address on Audioasylum and all of the other audio sites to warn people in the future.  We should also have a mass-email from the people on this site to his personal email address telling him how big a tool he is!

Best of luck!

Jack