Ebay Sucks!! (long with pictures)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2004, 04:45 pm »
Thanks Jack.

I think I am limited in what Ebay can do since I didn't win the auction.  I will send them an e-mail and see what they say.

I am not limited in posting my story on AA, Audiogon, and elsewhere.  Unfortunately, I am not sure how much business this person does outside of Ebay.

Again, I appeciate everybody's support.

George

scottnixon

• http://www.scott-nixon.com
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2004, 04:55 pm »
Pro Audio gear has a completely different grading system that Home Audio does.  That K2 is fair to poor for the audiophile, but would be in 'excellent 'condition for the pro user.   I've dealt with the pro market for 28+ years and it's a totally different world.   Just avoid ebay pro audio listings, or get a good photo ehancement editor.  I brightened and softened the enlarged ebay photo of that K2 and is was clear the case was ragged out, without the enhancement you can clearly see gashes in the front fasia and rack screw markings and  plenty of rack rash.   Just be careful with pro gear, unless it's new in the box, it will not be pretty in your home.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2004, 04:58 pm »
Scott,

Thanks for that viewpoint.

That might be why the seller keeps saying to me he didn't misrepresent the piece.

In terms of the pic in the ad...I knew I wasn't getting a pristine piece, but I don't think that picture clearly showed how the unit really is.  

George

jermmd

« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2004, 06:59 pm »
George,

It could have been worse.  If it sounds good then a little automotive paint touchup or a new housing from Crown and you got a good amp for a good price.  I understand your disappointment and I call BS on Brightsideview but many, many people have spent much money on ebay and have nothing to show for it.  Even experienced bidders get burned eventually.

Just trying to ease the pain...

Joe M.

By the way,  that amp looks even worse then I imagined from your description yesterday.:D

pjchappy

« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2004, 07:25 pm »
Pro-audio piece or not. . . he said it was the item PICTURED. . . which it WASN'T!  

Lawyer talk:  Sue his fucking ass!    :P

That sucks.  I can only get myself to sell/buy stuff here and I'm willing to do it on A-gon. . .every deal I've made on AC has gone perfectly smooth.  It is just so much better to 'know' the person you are dealing w/. . .it builds a bit of trust, etc. . .

Anyways, go to WalMart and get some spray paint. . .and quit your bitching.  :lol:

p

djklmnop

« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2004, 08:15 pm »
When you leave him a negative feedback, provide a link to this thread.  That should give future buyers a fair warning.

Did the seller post up fake pictures of the actual amp?  Or is that just the packaging?  There is a complaint form for "Item does not match description or auction terms".

Best of luck on this.

Andy

Marbles

« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2004, 08:16 pm »
Quote from: djklmnop
When you leave him a negative feedback, provide a link to this thread.  That should give future buyers a fair warning.

Can he leave feedback if he didn't do an Ebay transaction?

djklmnop

« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2004, 08:19 pm »
Sorry, I should've read it through.

pjchappy

« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2004, 08:20 pm »
I still think you would be able to. . .if it wasn't for E-Bay, this wouldn't have happened. . .PLUS, the item wasn't the amp PICTURED. . .the misrepresentation was made ON E-Bay. . .

At least pro-gear is designed to take abuse. . .b/c that thing got abused.

p

djklmnop

« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2004, 08:26 pm »
Looking at the actual auction, it looks like it is the actual amp.  With the exception of some photoshop cloning to remove the blemishes to make it acceptable (you'll have a case there).  And the low light did not render the blemishes. You can clearly see scratches on the front panel and on the top panel.  I don't think that he did anything wrong from a legal standpoint.  Saying it is excellent is nothing more than one's opinion.  But what he did is certainly unethical.

When I photograph products, I use natural light and a long exposure, that way the blemishes come out softer than it really is.  When you use on-camera flash, the light bounches right back to the lens emphasizing dust and scratches.  That's why fashion photographers will use light coming from a 45 degree angle.  The angle of reflection will hide blemishes.

She's in excellent condition - I swear!!!

bubba966

« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2004, 10:01 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: djklmnop

Can he leave feedback if he didn't do an Ebay transaction?

Nope, not any more. In the old days of eBay you could leave feedback for anyone at anytime, no auction or transaction needed.

If this was done as a "second chance" deal on eBay, you might be able to leave feedback (don't know, never dealt with a "second chance" before). If it was just an email deal, then nope, no feedback can be left.

I've had more problems with assholes on Agon (virtually every time) than I've had on eBay (once). I don't care to do any business on Agon as their feedback system is worthless as they'll pull feedback off. So someone can have negs on Agon, and then get them removed. And there's no evidence afterwards that it ever happened.

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2004, 10:22 pm »
Sorry to hear about this George.  Totally low on the part of the seller.  Fortunately it is in good 'working' condition.

I'll tell you what.  As soon as I move into my new place I'll help you build a nice casing for the amp, out of maple/cherry/etc and aluminum.  You just cover cost, nothing more.    I am sure we can make it look like a nice amp again, maybe even a lot nicer.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2004, 10:32 pm »
Thanks Josh.

I just might take you up on the offer.   :thumb:

George

bubba966

« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2004, 10:46 pm »
George,

How was it sent? If it was sent via the USPS the seller comitted mail fraud, which I believe is a federal felony.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2004, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Thanks Josh.

I just might take you up on the offer.   :thumb:

George

Another option might be to use DynaShield or its equivalents to damp the chassis.  The metal Sound Anchors for my speakers became rusty, so I sprayed with this damping material, then top coated with flat black: it yields a slightly textured finish (like extreme powder coat), but I personally like the effect. Of course, there aren't any heat issues with speaker bases.

http://www.dynamat.com/car_dynashield.htm

nathanm

« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2004, 12:10 am »
This equipment has never been abused or dropped, and has always been stored inside of a rack.

Who is this guy trying to kid?  Inside of a rack filled with roofing nails?!  It looks like it has been taken in and out of a rack, carelessly, about a hundred times!  Looks more like it has been used as a workbench too fer cryin' out loud.  What's so hard about saying "the amp is scratched all to hell but it works fine."  That's ALL the guy would've had to say.  Sheesh...

But djklmnop is right, direct flash always makes stuff look extra bad. Still it's hard to imagine the photo in the ad is the same one.  Hmmm.

pjchappy

« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2004, 12:14 am »
For some reason, I thought you would like it, Nathan. . .adds a bit of character to the amp.   :P

p

jackman

« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2004, 12:41 am »
I wrote that guy a nasty email.  Told him he should be ashamed of himself.  Probably doesn't mean anything to someone like that but it made me feel better.  

Best of luck!  

Jack

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2004, 12:44 am »
Jackman,

While I appreciate the support, I don't think that is going to help the situation.

I really am hoping that the seller will reconsider and work with me towards the appropriate resolution.

George

pjchappy

« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2004, 12:55 am »
Speak some random legal lingo to him, like: res ipsa loquitur, respondeat superior, tortious interference, etc. . ..just throw these in an e-mail. . .use your imagination (b/c none of these apply to the situation at hand) and have fun. . ..   :P

p