Re-entry with VPI Classic 1

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Re-entry with VPI Classic 1
« Reply #120 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:25 am »
I would just start spinning records!!
I haven't stopped!  Dirty ones too as my RCM is on it's way.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #121 on: 11 Jul 2012, 11:48 am »
VPI owners - if you have inverted bearings, beware of lube pitfalls:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1341804352&openfrom&1&4#1

BPoletti

« Reply #122 on: 11 Jul 2012, 02:47 pm »
VPI owners - if you have inverted bearings, beware of lube pitfalls:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1341804352&openfrom&1&4#1

No need to beware of anything if you just follow the suggestions in the owner's manual.  If all else fails, call VPI for guidance.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #123 on: 11 Jul 2012, 02:59 pm »
Manual:
"After at least one year of use, the platter bearing and motor will need to be lubricated. For the platter bearing use 1/4 teaspoon of white lithium grease placed on the ball. For the motor, use 1 drop of 40-weight motor oil below the brass piece"

Not all white lithium grease is the same.  That's what the thread is about.  OP lubed as instructed and it got noisy.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #124 on: 11 Jul 2012, 03:13 pm »
Here's the boring informative part of the quoted link:

"The term lithium grease can be slightly misleading as the lithium content is actually the thickener used to thicken the oil content to make it grease as opposed to an oil.

Go to any high end bike shop that sells road racing bikes and ask for lithium grease used for packing the bike bearing. These high performance lithium bike greases use synthetic oil as the base as oppose to mineral oil.

The oil and lithium will separate over time when left in a tube. You should “knead” the contents before using. It sound like the lithium grease was not fully mixed before application, therefore, the oil content simply wept down the bearing shaft and succumbed to gravity....

....For years I've been using Campagnolo bottom bracket grease in various TT and CDP jewel and ball bearings. It doesn't dry up and turn brown like most other greases. You could also try automotive moly grease.

But the interesting part is this:

"There was an episode of Law & Order/Criminal intent in which forensics pinned a murder on a bicyclist by tracing the formula of the exotic grease in his bottom bracket. Take care."

So if you're planning any nefarious actions, maybe do it before you re-grease your VPI inverted bearing.

roscoeiii

« Reply #125 on: 11 Jul 2012, 03:21 pm »
I just slap some chunky peanut butter on there and call it a day.

Wayner

« Reply #126 on: 11 Jul 2012, 09:06 pm »
I use Mobil 1 or Slick 50 on all of my platter shafts with no problems, including my VPI HW-19jr.

Sonny

« Reply #127 on: 11 Jul 2012, 09:12 pm »
I use Mobil 1 or Slick 50 on all of my platter shafts with no problems, including my VPI HW-19jr.

Wayner, I think the Mobil 1 or Slick 50 works for the Jr as it is not inverted.  I am afraid that something like these two choices would not work for inverted bearings...it would probably drain out of the bearing pretty quickly...

T

BPoletti

« Reply #128 on: 12 Jul 2012, 01:25 am »

I have used synthetic oil, too.  Have used it on the bearings of a HW-19, TNT 1 and Aries 1, no problems, each table runs smoothly.  I think I read that HW has suggested Slik50 might create problems for some reason or another.  I haven't used it myself nor have I spoken with him about it so I can't say. 

But the Classic uses an inverted bearing, a different animal.  Gotta have something that will hang at the top and not flow down.

Anyone that owns a VPI Classic (not an inexpensive proposition) should just get the lube from VPI and not worry about the couple of bucks extra that VPI might make on that sale.  Why be a cheapskate and risk a bearing on a ~ $3,000 table with a lube that might not work. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #129 on: 12 Jul 2012, 01:44 am »
So how are you enjoying the table?

Waynefi

« Reply #130 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:10 am »
Don't know about him, but I'm having fun with mine ! Plus I added the newly released Q UP and having fun with that also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx4bSjR66Hc&feature=relmfu

Sonny

« Reply #131 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:44 am »
Don't know about him, but I'm having fun with mine ! Plus I added the newly released Q UP and having fun with that also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx4bSjR66Hc&feature=relmfu
'

That looks mighty scary to say the least!  The way the arm is jolted up and down, and continues to do so, I would be afraid that it may fall back down on the record...

Tuan

Waynefi

« Reply #132 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:52 am »
Nope, not even close. Actually works very smooth, lifts straight up, whatever movement seen is just the mass of the arm against the spring .

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #133 on: 26 Jul 2012, 07:06 pm »
So how are you enjoying the table?
I'm really enjoying the whole setup (VPI C1, Zu Denon 103 & Zesto Andros PS-1). 

Finally got the RCM (Nitty Gritty) going and it's working pretty well too.  A lot to clean and just learn all the little things that help the process along. 

Sonny

« Reply #134 on: 26 Jul 2012, 07:22 pm »
Nope, not even close. Actually works very smooth, lifts straight up, whatever movement seen is just the mass of the arm against the spring .

From the looks of the video, it looks scary to me anyways...

james71

« Reply #135 on: 26 Jul 2012, 07:44 pm »
looks a little scary to me too. never seen one of those before.

Waynefi

« Reply #136 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:43 am »
looks a little scary to me too. never seen one of those before.

Seriously guys, works fine, and does make it more comfortable and less worry free listening to vinyl, no worries about falling asleep listening late at night, nor worry about where you are or what you are doing when the LP ends.

As far as never seeing one, these have been around for a long time. Audio Technica and Thorens both made them back in the "old" days. They disappeared like many vinyl playing products. With the resurrgence in vinyl, a Canadian company recreated the Thorens Q UP, which is what this is, just recently releasing it.

http://www.thequp.com/http://

BPoletti

« Reply #137 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm »
I'm using a JMW-12 arm.  I don't think I'd use that device.  The runout grooves don't do damage to a cartridge unless the set-up is wrong.  When I'm listening to music, I'm paying attention to the performance enough to know when it's finished. 

Waynefi

« Reply #138 on: 27 Jul 2012, 06:29 pm »
I'm using a JMW-12 arm.  I don't think I'd use that device.  The runout grooves don't do damage to a cartridge unless the set-up is wrong.  When I'm listening to music, I'm paying attention to the performance enough to know when it's finished.

And that's fine, I never intended this to be a justification for me or anybody else to use the product. I find it worth it, I have showed it to VPI, and they find it fine, and causing no harm.

This is not new at all, though may be new to some. I think it's great that vinyl has made enough of a return for somebody to invest in making new products, or in this case a remake of a previous product, and I support those efforts when I can.   

I would say I listen to music, not a performance, and if it's late at night, and it has  calmed me down to the point I fall asleep, I find it nice to know that my stylus is not spinning around on the record for how ever that period is. Also I may now get up and do what I have to do irregardless of where the record is and how long I may be in another room, getting a drink etc.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #139 on: 27 Jul 2012, 06:45 pm »
i have a q-up i got ~30 years ago; it works fantastic.  as does my audio technica safety raiser, which i have had for ~5 years.  i would never go w/o.  it is great to see the q-up is awailable again; used, they have routinely sold for >$100...

doug s.