Re-entry with VPI Classic 1

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re-entry with VPI Classic 1
« on: 3 May 2012, 11:58 pm »
So I've decided that I might as well use my albums that sit around and the fact that I've been bitten by a certain AC member wtih his vinyl journey I can't resist the temptation anymore.   :duh: :)

What I really want is nearly double the cost so I figured I'd get a starter table to make certain that I use it as much as I think I will. 

My cart is a Zu Denon 103 (super top grade) and my SUT is a Bob's Devices 1131 (Blue).  Phono pre can be my Metric Halo LIO-8 or some other unknown but that isn't much of a concern at this point.

For those that have heard the Classic 1 what do you think and is there anything else that I should consider in the price range?  VPI has such a great name...

What options should I go for? 

Last, Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi-XP for clean albums.  Anyone happy with it?

TIA  :thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Re-entry with VPI Classic 1
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2012, 12:29 pm »
and the fact that I've been bitten by a certain AC member

Someone bit you?

Seriously, is the ZU 103 and Classic 1 a good combination?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2012, 12:57 pm »
I think you should consider the Well Tempered Labs Amadeus. Unbelievable performance at a bargain price.

Shakey

Minn Mark

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2012, 05:25 pm »
I went from a SOTA Comet (had for many years) to a Classic I after seeking advice here at AC. Got mine from Galen Carol Audio, and never looked back. A simply amazing 'table.

PS- last I checked Galen was still selling them at the 'old' price, and he mounted and aligned my cart (Sumiko Blackbird) for free. I highly recommend him for advice or your eventual purchase, unless you have local experts.

You will enjoy the VPI.

Keep us informed.

Mark

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2012, 12:27 am »
Thanks guys.  I'm a bit surprised there aren't more replies.  :dunno:

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2012, 12:37 am »
If you want more replies, I will chime in as well as a Well Tempered fanboy. Went from VPI HW-19 Jr to Amadeus, and wow what a difference. But of course that was probably a pretty unfair comparison.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2012, 12:45 am »
Who's the premier USA well tempered amadeus dealer? 

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2012, 12:57 am »
There are a few dealers that I know of. Closest to me in Chicago is Don Better Audio in Cleveland. There is also Pitch Perfect in San Francisco (a shop that in general carries some seriously impressive gear, like Shindo). I think that there is a dealer or so in the Northeast too. Not sure of anyone in the South.

(Speaking of the South, please eat some great BBQ in the Charlotte/Lexington area for me, I miss a good plate of NC BBQ something wicked).

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2012, 01:55 am »
I own two of the older Well Tempereds and if I was in the market for a new turntable and wasn't going to go with an Amadeus I'd give the Townshend Rock 7 a serious look.
There's arguments to be made for both sides as to where to put the goo.

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2012, 12:32 am »
Last, Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi-XP for clean albums.  Anyone happy with it?

Love my 2.5Fi !    :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2012, 12:46 am »
Jason,

Mark mentioned the Sumiko Blackbird and I can highly recommend it. It is HOMC and sells for about $900 new. IMHO, it outperforms a lot of cartridges that are more than twice its price. Before I bought my SME 20/2, I had a Pro-ject Perspective with the Blackbird cartridge and thought it did an excellent job. Very easy to set up. I sold it to Ruby Mae after I bought the SME. The current model is the Perspex.

Laura

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2012, 12:57 am »
Thanks for all the comments. 

I do have a Zu Denon 103 so I'm all good (for now) with a cart.   :)

Indiansprings

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2012, 03:33 am »
I think you are on the right track with the VPI and 103

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2012, 05:50 am »
I love longer-than-9" arms (better tracking - WAY less stress getting your cartridge mounted perfectly 'cause 10.5" arms track 10-12% better than 9" arms to start with)

I don't know of any other tables with 10.5" arms, optional silicone oil damping (helps with many cartridges, like Grado, to get the best our of them), and 50lbs of mass damping, too. 

Previous to the VPI Classic in my life, I preferred Direct Drive decks.  I personally hear only the slightest pitch wavering on very quiet piano passages - but, seriously, I am straining to hear it versus the direct drive competition.  This makes it remarkable to me - and I assume would improve further with a $1200 SDS unit added if I felt the need.

I'm really happy with the $2500 investment in the VPI Classic and couple years ago.  It simply delivers  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2012, 06:36 am »
I've been listening to some pretty spendy tables for some time now, and I have to say I'm really smitten with the Classic 1.  I was an inch away from pulling the trigger on this one, but am going to spend just a couple bucks more to get the 2 with adjustable VTA.  However if you aren't going to swap carts out, the 1 sounds the same.

Due to the nature of things here with multiple carts coming in for review, etc etc, that's a handy feature.

But for $2750, I haven't heard a better table that captures more of the essence of music than the Classic 1.

The Denon combination is excellent.   You will be very pleased.

And I'm coming home from Munich with an awesome new phono stage from Monk audio in the $1200 range that I think
is going to make a killer combination as well.

Right now using the Manley Chinook with the Classic and it's about $2500.  Pretty much a one channel Steelhead without
all the adjustments.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2012, 11:43 am »
But for $2750, I haven't heard a better table that captures more of the essence of music than the Classic 1.

Why don't you contact Mike Pranka at Toffco about getting a review sample of the WT Amadeus. Same price range. And I'm sure others would be interested in the comparison.

Shakey

TONEPUB

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2012, 03:17 pm »
Why don't you contact Mike Pranka at Toffco about getting a review sample of the WT Amadeus. Same price range. And I'm sure others would be interested in the comparison.

Shakey

I have been asking him for years.  No sample forthcoming. Short of purchasing one at retail price (which I would even consider if I didn't have 8 turntables already...) it just doesn't make sense for a review situation.  Especially when everyone else will send us anything we ask for.  Don't know the disconnect, but I've given up.  I have heard the table a few times and it's always sounded good.

So, I don't think you'll ever see that table reviewed in TONEAudio.  Not for a lack of trying...

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2012, 03:23 pm »
I have been asking him for years.  No sample forthcoming. Short of purchasing one at retail price (which I would even consider if I didn't have 8 turntables already...) it just doesn't make sense for a review situation.  Especially when everyone else will send us anything we ask for.  Don't know the disconnect, but I've given up.  I have heard the table a few times and it's always sounded good.

So, I don't think you'll ever see that table reviewed in TONEAudio.  Not for a lack of trying...

Too bad. I think that there is a Well Tempered Dealer in Eugene. Wonder if he'd loan you a demo table for a bit?

Of course at some point you just need to give up and move on. Understood. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2012, 03:50 pm »
Good idea, but I'd never ask a dealer to do that and take the chance of them missing out on a sale...

There's plenty of tables, arms and cartridges out there, so this one will remain an enigma!

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2012, 03:53 pm »
Fair enough. And your mag is certainly doing a great job with vinyl related reviews.

Like you said, not that you didn't try...

Looking forward to your next issue. Hope Munich was great.