Re-entry with VPI Classic 1

Sonny

Re: Re-entry with VPI Classic 1
« Reply #100 on: 26 Jun 2012, 05:15 pm »
Really?  I've been trying to think how I can eliminate it wtihout going crazy.   :duh:
Jason, I was obsessed about this as well on my DIY Table...if you look at my avatar, you can see that the plinth is 120lbs of steel sitting on 3/8" of acrylic on top of sorbothane pads, on a 1.5 mdf, with a 1/4" steel plated bolted to the bottom of the MDF and i still get this...if I tap hard enough.  The question is, are you going to be tapping when you listen to your records?  Sure, sounds waves can hit the rack, platform and plinth...but they will always do that!

T

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #101 on: 26 Jun 2012, 05:18 pm »
Jason, I was obsessed about this as well on my DIY Table...if you look at my avatar, you can see that the plinth is 120lbs of steel sitting on 3/8" of acrylic on top of sorbothane pads, on a 1.5 mdf, with a 1/4" steel plated bolted to the bottom of the MDF and i still get this...if I tap hard enough.  The question is, are you going to be tapping when you listen to your records?  Sure, sounds waves can hit the rack, platform and plinth...but they will always do that!

T
Oh OK.  So you're telling me to not worrry and continue on.   :D

Sonny

« Reply #102 on: 26 Jun 2012, 05:19 pm »
Oh OK.  So you're telling me to not worrry and continue on.   :D

yes!

roscoeiii

« Reply #103 on: 26 Jun 2012, 05:22 pm »
Jason, shoot me an e-mail or PM if you are interested in a Target wall shelf. I've got an extra (well, actually 2 extra).

putz

« Reply #104 on: 26 Jun 2012, 05:38 pm »
My Aries is Target shelf wall mounted with a Maple butcher block underneath the table. I get the ping if I tap the table but like Sonny says, who taps the table while playing a record.

« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2012, 12:40 am by putz »

Minn Mark

« Reply #105 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:19 pm »
If you don't mind I'd be curious to know your results.  TT motor off but everything else powered on.  Drop the cart on an album and tap on the table and then rack or whatever your Classic is on.  Do you hear it through the speakers wtih the volume at listening level

So last night I did as you asked. With my volume level at about 11 o'clock (seriously loud for my system), I placed the Classic I tonearm/cart on the LP playing surface without the motor on, and began tapping. While tapping pretty hard on the wood base I was able to hear this through the speakers. I could not hear anything when tapping on my stand, and I didnt think I could tap hard enough on the platter without disturbing the cart to hear any sound through the speakers. So with respect to the wooden base, I can hear tapping through the speakers without playing music. I did not try playing music at this level and tapping the base; with my hearing and tinnitus I doubt I'd hear the tapping. Hope this helps you, and again, I'm very happy with my VPI purchased through Galen Carol Audo.

Mark

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #106 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:42 pm »
My Aries is Target shelf wall mounted with a Maple butcher block underneath the table. I get the ping if I tap the table but like Sonny says, who taps the table while playing a record.
How thick is the maple platform?  2"?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:43 pm »
So last night I did as you asked. With my volume level at about 11 o'clock (seriously loud for my system), I placed the Classic I tonearm/cart on the LP playing surface without the motor on, and began tapping. While tapping pretty hard on the wood base I was able to hear this through the speakers. I could not hear anything when tapping on my stand, and I didnt think I could tap hard enough on the platter without disturbing the cart to hear any sound through the speakers. So with respect to the wooden base, I can hear tapping through the speakers without playing music. I did not try playing music at this level and tapping the base; with my hearing and tinnitus I doubt I'd hear the tapping. Hope this helps you, and again, I'm very happy with my VPI purchased through Galen Carol Audo.

Mark
Thanks!   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #108 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:06 pm »
RCM is ordered!   :o

roscoeiii

« Reply #109 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:13 pm »
What did you go with for an RCM?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #110 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:16 pm »
Really?  I've been trying to think how I can eliminate it wtihout going crazy.   :duh:

Constrained damping layer isolation.  It won't eliminate anything from the table up, that's in the design of the table.  But the idea is a vibration sink (mechanical diode) to drain as much away as possible, and to isolate from floor borne vibrations.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:17 pm »
What did you go with for an RCM?

I went for the Nitty Gritty as TomS seems so happy with his.   :dunno:  Ordered from KABUSA.  Hope I like it!   https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

*N-G 2.5FIXP + VSK/16PII
 N-G RCB
 N-G DC-1XP
 A.I. ULTRA PURE 32 OZ
 N-G PUREnzyme+ 32 OZ 
finish to Cocobolo case option
2 cooling vents in the case per Gayle

putz

« Reply #112 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:49 pm »
How thick is the maple platform?  2"?

I think it's just under 2". A lot of people use 3" but the weight of the Aries table & the board on a Target shelf concerned me. Plus I did not want to spend a lot of $$, so I was able to find a good quality cutting board on ebay for cheap.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #113 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:52 pm »
I was able to find a good quality cutting board on ebay for cheap.
Care to share the seller?   :D

putz

« Reply #114 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:44 pm »
Care to share the seller?   :D

It was a one off sale. Plus I had to find the exact dimensions to work with the Shelf and the Aries. IF you're not using a shelf than size is not as big an issue. There are various sellers who sell cutting boards on ebay (see link) and there is one guy who markets his boards for Audio as well as kitchen but I can't remember who he is. Someone else could chime in on that maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160492639349?var=460011345226&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

putz

« Reply #115 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:50 pm »

roscoeiii

« Reply #116 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:26 pm »
Constrained damping layer isolation.  It won't eliminate anything from the table up, that's in the design of the table.  But the idea is a vibration sink (mechanical diode) to drain as much away as possible, and to isolate from floor borne vibrations.

For isolating floor borne vibrations, tough to do better than a turntable shelf, IME.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #117 on: 30 Jun 2012, 12:26 am »
Have any of you fellow Classic 1 VPI owners use any of the EdenSound Bearpaw footers?  What about the TerraStone Plinth?

http://edensoundaudio.com/photogallery.html

Supposedly he has sold a ton of them to VPI owners. 

putz

« Reply #118 on: 30 Jun 2012, 12:46 am »
Have any of you fellow Classic 1 VPI owners use any of the EdenSound Bearpaw footers?  What about the TerraStone Plinth?

http://edensoundaudio.com/photogallery.html

Supposedly he has sold a ton of them to VPI owners.

Look at the pic I posted earlier. I have the Terrastone footers and a matching base for the motor. The original Aries feet are not nearly as good as the Classic ones but I think they have a 30 day return policy, so you could try them out.

Tell Dan: Paul from NJ says hello.  We had some issues with my order and he bent over backwards to work things out.

sts9fan

« Reply #119 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:23 am »
I would just start spinning records!!