USB/ SPDIF converter w/ 2011 Mac Mini ?

brother love

USB/ SPDIF converter w/ 2011 Mac Mini ?
« on: 2 May 2012, 01:40 pm »
Currently I run a 15 ft. USB extension cable from my iMac to a J Kenny MK2 USB/ SPDIF converter located near DAC, then a short SPDIF Coax to DAC.  This sounds fantastic & works great for all Hi-Rez files, Spotify, etc. utilizing Decibel Audiophile player (hog mode), Airport Express &  iPad2 for remote.

If it comes to fruition, I will be acquiring a 2011 Mac Mini today from local Craigslist ad.  8)

With Mac Mini as a dedicated music server & directly beside DAC ...

is best sonic connection method to replace existing 15 ft. USB extension cable w/ a 6” lg. version  from Mac Mini to USB/SPDIF converter, or should I consider removing the converter out of the link & connecting directly from Mac Mini to DAC w/ a audio out mini jack 1- 1.5 ft. glass toslink cable or coax?  My DAC is a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 which is 24/96 USB & 24/192 SPDIF.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: USB/ SPDIF converter w/ 2011 Mac Mini ?
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2012, 01:45 pm »
I vote converter...

firedog

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2012, 01:53 pm »
My guess is it will sound better with the coverter. But try both and see.

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2012, 01:54 pm »
I would also guess converter.

brother love

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2012, 01:57 pm »
My guess is it will sound better with the coverter. But try both and see.

I need to order new cables for new system layout, so was looking for a little "lessons learned" guidance before ordering.

I recall there is some debate whether 2011 Mac Mini audio out is 24/96 or 24/192. I've collected tracks of both, but haven't done any test comparisons.  I guess the bigger question is which connection method has the least jitter.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2012, 02:23 pm »
I would think converter also myself......Do you have one?? I got a hitech wrapped in maple wood covering with a DAC I just bought. Sounds like you do have one.....

mikeeastman

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2012, 02:25 pm »
John Kenny told me to keep run from computer to MK as short as possible, he recommended an USB adaptor as best, but I found that using the USB adaptor leaves no room for BNC cable to be connected, am looking into right angle BNC connecter. My 2011 mini does 24/192 out of USB.

lokie

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2012, 02:31 pm »
There are a few detailed discussions regarding toslink vs usb in previous threads. In summary- some people swear by toslink and others claim toslink has more jitter.

I looked at toslink pretty closely because I don't like the usb cable>usb/spdif/converter>digital cable connection and the one toslink along with it's electical isolation seemed, on paper anyway, seemed to be a more elegant solution.

I ultimately concluded that usb scheme was the superior solution. But, experimenting isn't that an expensive of a proposition as you can pick up a toslink cable pretty cheap on amazon (make sure it's real glass). If you like maybe experiment with more expensive cables.

BTW, the shorter the cable the better is the concensus.

brother love

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2012, 02:56 pm »
John Kenny told me to keep run from computer to MK as short as possible, he recommended an USB adaptor as best, but I found that using the USB adaptor leaves no room for BNC cable to be connected, am looking into right angle BNC connecter. My 2011 mini does 24/192 out of USB.

I have followed the threads here & elsewhere where Kenny propose this along w/ SPDIF coax rca interconnects w/ bnc connections & rf bnc attenuators.

I just ordered one of these stubby length USB 5V injector cables w/ a 5V 500 mA DC power supply (Kenny references one of these on his website, but w/ another vendor):

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=5vusb&d=MikroTik-5VUSB-5V-Power-Injector-for-USB-(5VUSB)

HAL from Audiocircle used a longer USB extension cable w/ battery power & a direct rca connector for hiface to DAC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72468.160

Biggest problem I have is this is starting to get into "mad scientist" category.  :o

A simple decent cable connection from Mac Mini to DAC w/ excellent audio results is really what I'm hoping for ...

lokie

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2012, 03:03 pm »
A simple decent cable connection from Mac Mini to DAC w/ excellent audio results is really what I'm hoping for ...

That would be Toslink. Buy one for $30 and live with it for a while.

brother love

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2012, 07:45 pm »
Well I picked up the 2011 Mac Mini Wed. nite.  8)

I have theJ Kenny USB/SPDIF converter connected directly to the far left USB port facing the Mac Mini w/ no cable in between.

I optimized the Mac Mini w/ OS X Lion per Larry Moore's- Ultra Fi guide for Snow Leopard.

I've got to say it is sounding mighty sweet!

rywhflucky

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2012, 06:07 pm »
your usb converter is far better than macmini's optical out

simon wagstaff

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2012, 12:25 pm »
your usb converter is far better than macmini's optical out

Far better?  How so?  A lot also depends on the input receiver chip on the DAC. I like the electrical isolation that toslink provides, an older usb dac will not have good jitter rejection, I don't think. I use the toslink out on my older mac mini core solo and think it sounds very nice.

jrebman

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2012, 02:57 am »
Just to add to the discussion -- the toslink transmitter on the 2011 minis is significantly better than older minis and other older macs.  It's the new generation of 24/192 capable optical transmitters with much lower  jitter, though 24/192 is not yet supported by the computer via optical.

As to which will sound better, ccouldn't say at this point, but the 2011 optical out will sound better than previous macs' optical outs.

Get a quarts glass optical cable from Lifatech and your search could well be over.

HTH,

Jim

simon wagstaff

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2012, 12:58 pm »
That's good to know. I am using a fairly old Mac mini core solo and figure I will need to replace it at some point in time. using toslink it still sounds good though I don't have much use for 24/192, 24/96 sounds quite good using Decibel.

audioseduction

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2012, 04:01 pm »
Converter good, glass bad. IMHO.  8)

skunark

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2012, 04:51 am »
Might read this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101674.0

New macs seem to have a killer optical output..   
« Last Edit: 30 May 2012, 06:34 pm by skunark »