HT2-TL vs. HT3 vs. SS8 (SS8 it is!)

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: HT2-TL vs. HT3
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2012, 12:25 am »
This is a reminiscent thread.. I went through this exact process. Starting with the latest HT2, and went to HT3 and finally settled on the Ss8's.

I should note it was a 6-7 month process. Iooking forward to my Ss8's.

I assume you mean in terms of deciding, not in purchases  :o.

What finish did you order your SS8s in?

revrob

« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:54 am »
I have the HT3's and yes they will take everything that you can throw at it but they will reward you with glorious sound. Even when I had the Wyred SX1000 monos, 570 watts a channel, the HT3's just laughed and said is that all you got.

Since I rarely ever push my speakers hard the Monarchy SE-250 that I currently owned are more than adequate at 250 watts a channel.

The best I have heard the HT3's was from the person I purchased them from and he was using a Pass XA30.5 amp that was driving them better than either the Wyred or the Monarchy so go figure.

I love my speakers and wouldn't buy anything except the SS8 if I could afford them. I never had a problem with room placement.

Good luck.

Austin08

« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:32 am »
IMO, the SS8 is very hard to beat. if you are looking for one stop shopping then this is it. with the SS8, I actually listen to music rather than my system.

pstrisik

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2012, 03:00 am »
IMO, the SS8 is very hard to beat. if you are looking for one stop shopping then this is it. with the SS8, I actually listen to music rather than my system.

Listen to the music and look at your beautiful red speakers!

Austin08

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2012, 03:11 am »
Listen to the music and look at your beautiful red speakers!

First, it was BRM and Nuance about ”...micro second..on the other Salk thread. And now, pstrisik, you guy crack me up.  Hahaha

pstrisik

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:34 am »
First, it was BRM and Nuance about ”...micro second..on the other Salk thread. And now, pstrisik, you guy crack me up.  Hahaha

I laugh to keep from crying!

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:48 pm »

Nuance - what is your opinion about the HT2-TL vs. SS8 differences above 100hz (naturalness, imaging, separation).  If I did go with the SS8, the low end would not be the primary reason.

I had a response riddled with analogies and audiophile descriptions ready to go, but I asked my wife her opinion and she said it was silly. :oops:  So, with that said I will keep it simple and to the point.

The SoundScape 8's have one of the most realistic midrange's I've ever heard, and because of that the voices and instruments sound more accurate than through any other speaker I've heard (except Vandersteen 5's and 7's and some higher end Dynaudio's).  The SoundScape's are ultra smooth without loss of detail and fully disappear; they don't sound like a speaker, they just sound like music.

Hopefully that answers your question.  The SS's are in a league of their own, so if you can swing it do not hesitate; you won't be sorry. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2012, 06:45 pm »
pstrisik:

I can sure understand you’re difficultly in choosing between those fine Salk speakers. I had similar experience.  Sometimes however no matter how informed and logical decision you make , after a time, it’s a good chance your thoughts and wants may change. For example, I chose my HT2-TL because at that time I wanted to combine a Home theater and 2 channel systems to the same location. So I bought HT2 and Center because that most fit my needs and cost. My electronics and accessories were purchased  to best combine HT and 2ch together. Now I had rather not go that route. So now I’m going to have to sell my front HT2 and Center and sell my pre and amp.  If you get bitten by the BUG it never ends I guess. Good thing is with HT2 or HT3 or SS8 you have a wonderful sounding speaker.

pstrisik

« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2012, 08:34 pm »
pstrisik:

I can sure understand you’re difficultly in choosing between those fine Salk speakers. I had similar experience.  Sometimes however no matter how informed and logical decision you make , after a time, it’s a good chance your thoughts and wants may change. For example, I chose my HT2-TL because at that time I wanted to combine a Home theater and 2 channel systems to the same location. So I bought HT2 and Center because that most fit my needs and cost. My electronics and accessories were purchased  to best combine HT and 2ch together. Now I had rather not go that route. So now I’m going to have to sell my front HT2 and Center and sell my pre and amp.  If you get bitten by the BUG it never ends I guess. Good thing is with HT2 or HT3 or SS8 you have a wonderful sounding speaker.

Thanks for the support  :)

It's worse for me.  I want to make sure I feel like I made the right choice a month or two later, even without other changes.

At this point, I'm thinking SS8 and leaving out the center for now.  Music is where I am the most particular and only listen in stereo.  The mains are integrated in an HT though.  I'm reading that soundscapes do very well without a center, so we'll see.  95% of the time it is my wife and I sharing the sweet spot.  If we have a few people over for a movie, it may not be optimal if someone is more to the side, but I can always add a center.  This will give me top sound quality in exchange for their extreme weight.  I can bear the burden of the weight occasionally (8)) but will need to live with the performance all the time.

Besides, that's a whole 'nother decision!  :o  The SS center is huge and like 80 pounds.  So do I go with an HT2C for HT purposes.  It would probably blend reasonably with the SSs.  But I'll leave that one for later.  When I was focused on the HT2-TLs, I was planning on a center.  As it is, a pair of SS8s cost more than a pair of HT2-TLs plus HT2C.  Shipping for a pair of SS8s to AK, by the way, is looking to be about $885!!  :o :o

revrob

« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2012, 09:44 pm »
I would build my system around my passion and buy what I can afford now and add on later. IMHO the speakers are key to whatever system you are building the other components can be added later.

FWIW

pstrisik

« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm »
I would build my system around my passion and buy what I can afford now and add on later. IMHO the speakers are key to whatever system you are building the other components can be added later.

FWIW

I've pretty much have my system together except for speakers.  I'll probably end up replacing my Emo UPA-1 mono's, but no rush.

funkmonkey

Re: HT2-TL vs. HT3 vs. SS8
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:35 pm »
Personal speaking, I would just go for it [provided you have the money to spare (of course)].  I was looking to spend $2k on my mains, and searching very hard for them with nothing but compromise to be seen and heard.  Then I heard the HT3 (HT2-TL wasn't out yet) and That was it.  They did exactly what I wanted my mains to do.  I couldn't settle for anything less at that point, and placed my order very soon after that audition.  If the HT2-TL had been an option, I might have gone that route instead and been very happy (I still haven't heard them, yet).  Do I regret going HT3?  Not in the least, and I haven't even considered swapping them out or replacing them with ANYTHING since then....    well, at least until I heard about the SS8s!  :duh:  I knew of the original SoundScapes and even got a chance to hear a pair, but they were way out of my price range, so it was very easy to write them off.  But, Jim and Dennis just had to go and keep improving on things and produce the SoundScape8  :green:  The more moderate pricing, and better efficiency really seems to make the HT3 obsolete.  Especially considering that the HT2-TL goes almost as low as they do for a good amount less money.  As the line-up stands right now, I think the HT3 is for the guy who has his heart set on a three way design, and wants to run without a sub, and still cannot afford the SS8.  With a sub, I think the HT2-TL is the way to go, and save a good chunk of money.  No sub, a little $$$ to burn, and no worries about "could have," "would have," "should have,"  SS8.  life is short enjoy what you can.  :thumb:
Cheers

Austin08

« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:38 pm »

It's worse for me.  I want to make sure I feel like I made the right choice a month or two later, even without other changes.

At this point, I'm thinking SS8 and leaving out the center for now.  Music is where I am the most particular and only listen in stereo.  The mains are integrated in an HT though.  I'm reading that soundscapes do very well without a center, so we'll see.  95% of the time it is my wife and I sharing the sweet spot.  If we have a few people over for a movie, it may not be optimal if someone is more to the side, but I can always add a center.  This will give me top sound quality in exchange for their extreme weight.  I can bear the burden of the weight occasionally (8)) but will need to live with the performance all the time.

Besides, that's a whole 'nother decision!  :o  The SS center is huge and like 80 pounds.  So do I go with an HT2C for HT purposes.  It would probably blend reasonably with the SSs.  But I'll leave that one for later.  When I was focused on the HT2-TLs, I was planning on a center.  As it is, a pair of SS8s cost more than a pair of HT2-TLs plus HT2C.  Shipping for a pair of SS8s to AK, by the way, is looking to be about $885!!  :o :o

After all those years in this hobbie. I have learned that I got to have the gut and the willingness to go for what I want even that will max out or over my budget a little bit (just don't go too much over board,will running into trouble with WAF). One step back will cost me an arm and an leg to fix it. Never compromise, you will regret it. Buying and building your system one at a time. The process is surely slow but it will save you a ton of money and the the result is much more rewarded. Just my 2cts.

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm »
Looks like FunkMonkey is driving down a one way road that won't end until some SS8's show up at his doorstep...

Its worth it my brotha...    :D

funkmonkey

« Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:08 pm »
Looks like FunkMonkey is driving down a one way road that won't end until some SS8's show up at his doorstep...

Its worth it my brotha...    :D

I would love to be able to swing it, but I certainly don't have the "little bit of $$$ to burn" part in order yet.  That part may a while....   :cry:

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm »
How about I just buy them for for you?!?! 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:59 am »
SS8 is so worth it.  Unbelievable sound right now.  I made more changes this week and I'm really just about maximizing the whole thing.  Amazing.  Better than when Jim took a listen Sunday.  Way better in fact.

funkmonkey

« Reply #37 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:59 am »

OK!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

fsimms

« Reply #38 on: 21 Apr 2012, 02:53 am »
SS8 is so worth it.  Unbelievable sound right now.  I made more changes this week and I'm really just about maximizing the whole thing.  Amazing.  Better than when Jim took a listen Sunday.  Way better in fact.

Kewl BRM!  :thumb:

Bob

Nuance

« Reply #39 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:37 pm »

OK!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wait, how do I get in on that one? :D