HT2-TL vs. HT3 vs. SS8 (SS8 it is!)

Nuance

Re: HT2-TL vs. HT3 vs. SS8
« Reply #40 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:37 pm »
Thanks for the support  :)

It's worse for me.  I want to make sure I feel like I made the right choice a month or two later, even without other changes.

At this point, I'm thinking SS8 and leaving out the center for now.  Music is where I am the most particular and only listen in stereo.  The mains are integrated in an HT though.  I'm reading that soundscapes do very well without a center, so we'll see.  95% of the time it is my wife and I sharing the sweet spot.  If we have a few people over for a movie, it may not be optimal if someone is more to the side, but I can always add a center.  This will give me top sound quality in exchange for their extreme weight.  I can bear the burden of the weight occasionally (8)) but will need to live with the performance all the time.

Besides, that's a whole 'nother decision!  :o  The SS center is huge and like 80 pounds.  So do I go with an HT2C for HT purposes.  It would probably blend reasonably with the SSs.  But I'll leave that one for later.  When I was focused on the HT2-TLs, I was planning on a center.  As it is, a pair of SS8s cost more than a pair of HT2-TLs plus HT2C.  Shipping for a pair of SS8s to AK, by the way, is looking to be about $885!!  :o :o

I really do think you're making the right choice.  If it were me, I'd add the SS Center down the road rather than the HT2C, but you need to do what's best for you.  Actually, if it were me I'd never own SS8's because I'll never be able to afford them, but that will not stop me from recommending the best speaker anywhere near the $10,000 price range whenever I can; it's simply that good.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #41 on: 21 Apr 2012, 04:46 pm »
I really do think you're making the right choice.  If it were me, I'd add the SS Center down the road rather than the HT2C, but you need to do what's best for you.  Actually, if it were me I'd never own SS8's because I'll never be able to afford them, but that will not stop me from recommending the best speaker anywhere near the $10,000 price range whenever I can; it's simply that good.

Thanks Nuance.  I'm feeling more comfortable and confident in this plan.  That center decision would be a ways off and somewhat dependent on my views after living with the SS8s for a bit.

So, will wait to get with Jim again after he returns from the show (anyone there that can post photos now??).  Really down to obsessing about finish again.  Waiting for good photos of the black limba SS8s, though I suspect they might be a too yellow for me to buy despite the advantage of no wait time.  So, Tineo, Zebrano, dyed Ambrosia Maple....  looking for something close to the tone of natural to medium cherry but with more distinctive grain pattern, though not burl, crotch, fiddleback - more linear.  I wished I liked burl as those pepperwood SCSTs are beautiful. 

Anyone have speakers in Tineo, by chance and could post photos?  How about Zebrano?  There are two examples of Tineo on the website but they are pretty different from each other.  Plus, Tineo is known for more red than either of these examples show:
http://www.salksound.com/home_htm_files/1015.jpg
http://www.salksound.com/home_htm_files/1237.jpg

If I could assure something very close to that first one, I would grab it without hesitation.

.........Peter

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #42 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:41 pm »
I'm not sure I'd agree with that assesment on the SSc over the HT2c... if money is a concern......   

Both Jim and Dennis both felt that the HT2c was a great voiced match with the SS's, so thats what I went with... 
If the RAAL wasn't there, then I'd be leary of going that direction, and the Seas mid woofs are plenty articulate & clean for CC application, unless you have a bunch of off angle LP viewers...    Money Saved and still more then thrilled...

I like the idea of the dedicated accuton mid on the SSc, but I don't really fell like I'm missing anything here...
For 2 channel Music there is no compromise IMHO...   Gotta have that accuton... Its DA BOMB ~!!!~

jd3

« Reply #43 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:42 pm »
Peter,

I have a pair of HT2-TLs in Tineo that hopefully will be done next week.  If done, Jim may bring them to AKFest and I can post pics, unless they get done sooner and Jim posts some.

I have a SongCenter that's done in Tineo.  I could take some pics if you want...

John

pstrisik

« Reply #44 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:55 pm »
I'm not sure I'd agree with that assesment on the SSc over the HT2c... if money is a concern......   

Both Jim and Dennis both felt that the HT2c was a great voiced match with the SS's, so thats what I went with... 
If the RAAL wasn't there, then I'd be leary of going that direction, and the Seas mid woofs are plenty articulate & clean for CC application, unless you have a bunch of off angle LP viewers...    Money Saved and still more then thrilled...

I like the idea of the dedicated accuton mid on the SSc, but I don't really fell like I'm missing anything here...
For 2 channel Music there is no compromise IMHO...   Gotta have that accuton... Its DA BOMB ~!!!~
Pretty much my thinking as well.  I'm sure that accuton mid in the center does add something.  How could it not?  But for the money, the size and weight, and the relatively attenuated pursuit of perfection for the theatre aspect of my system, the HT2C seems like a fine choice.

pstrisik

« Reply #45 on: 21 Apr 2012, 05:58 pm »
Peter,

I have a pair of HT2-TLs in Tineo that hopefully will be done next week.  If done, Jim may bring them to AKFest and I can post pics, unless they get done sooner and Jim posts some.

I have a SongCenter that's done in Tineo.  I could take some pics if you want...

John

John,  Absolutely!  That would be fantastic!  I've been drawn to Tineo from the start, though fear it may often have too much red and may be darker than I want, except that photo of Tineo SongTowers is perfect.  I'll be curious to see how yours look and compare your impressions to the photos to "calibrate."

Thanks in advance........Peter

I just realized that AKFest is next week end, not this weekend like I mistakenly thought  :duh:.  Ignore earlier references to a show this weekend.

........Peter

jd3

« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:19 pm »
Peter,
Pics posted in my gallery.

John

Warpdrv

« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:35 pm »
I gotta say, first time I have seen this Tineo veneer..... Looks amazing..

I like what it looks like in this pic, not a speaker but still nice looking checking out the many images I have seen of it..
http://www.bartelsusa.com/var/bartels/storage/images/media/bilder/products/custom-interior-doors/hotel-kaiser/c-hk2/58806-2-ger-DE/C-HK2_reference.jpe

jsalk

« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:38 pm »

I like what it looks like in this pic, not a speaker but still nice looking checking out the many images I have seen of it..
http://www.bartelsusa.com/var/bartels/storage/images/media/bilder/products/custom-interior-doors/hotel-kaiser/c-hk2/58806-2-ger-DE/C-HK2_reference.jpe

Tineo generally has more pinks, reds and oranges in it that shown in this photo.  Think of the colors you would see in an Arizona landscape at sunset.

- Jim

Warpdrv

« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:43 pm »
Thanks Jim....

I was more intrigued in the grain pattern of that shot....   
I know you and your staff are magicians with colors and could make them any color under the rainbow essentially....

The OP is looking for Pics of previous Tineo speakers you have done, if possible perhaps you could pull them up for him...
I have been searching the sites and all those older pics of tineo are gone now...   

pstrisik

« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2012, 07:16 pm »
Peter,
Pics posted in my gallery.

John

Thanks John.  Also looking forward to seeing your HT2-TLs.  I have to say, a touch darker and redder than is my preference, but I still feel very drawn to it.  It is a very beautiful and friendly wood.  I particularly like this:

Would you say that the photography captured the colors fairly accurately?

Warpdrv on Today at 10:35 AM

There's another example with less red.  Must be a lot of variance in the wood.  Either that or a lot of variance in the photography!

Jim,  In your experience, has the Tineo you've seen all have the sunset colors, or is there a lot of variance? 

Sounds like you are around this w/e.  Ok to call?  If so, how late in the day?  Time to finish decision on SS8s! (Except for finish, of course).

------

As an aside, I just got the bug to see about coming down for AKFest next weekend to check out the SS8s and meet you.  I have plenty of Alaska Airline miles.  I tried and found that Alaska doesn't fly to anywhere in Michigan or Ohio or Indiana!  They are partners with American and Delta, but still won't let me use miles.  :evil:  Cheapest tickets around $1200!  :evil: :evil:  Guess that's not meant to be.  :sad:  Another reason it's tough to be an audiophile in Alaska.  Maybe I should start a blog!  :scratch:

jd3

« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2012, 08:07 pm »
I think it's a bit redder in the pic than in 'real life'.  You can blame my wife, she took the picture!
I actually have it in a Salamander stand with cherry shelves and it's not a whole lot darker than the shelves.

Warpdrv

« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2012, 08:26 pm »
Found a few myself through google search "Salk Tineo"

The Images are missing from the forums now but google retained the basic image, so that Is what I'm posting here.

pstrisik

« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2012, 08:29 pm »
I think it's a bit redder in the pic than in 'real life'.  You can blame my wife, she took the picture!
I actually have it in a Salamander stand with cherry shelves and it's not a whole lot darker than the shelves.

That is very good to hear! 

Maybe this is the reason I can't resist Tineo - meet Andy:

pstrisik

« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2012, 08:35 pm »
Found a few myself through google search "Salk Tineo"

The Images are missing from the forums now but google retained the basic image, so that Is what I'm posting here.

Fantastic!  Thanks Warpdrv.  They look great.  I've googled "Tineo" a few times, but never came up with these.  Didn't occur to me to be more specific.  The second one is the one on the Salk site now.  The first and third look great.  I think this is going to be my choice.

pstrisik

« Reply #55 on: 22 Apr 2012, 05:57 pm »
Done!  (mostly)

Talked to Jim and ordered SS8s  :banana piano:

Backed off Tineo a bit due to the red.  Exploring some other possibilities.  I think choosing wood/finish may be harder than choosing speakers!

R Swerdlow

« Reply #56 on: 22 Apr 2012, 06:43 pm »
Done!  (mostly)

Talked to Jim and ordered SS8s  :banana piano:

Backed off Tineo a bit due to the red.  Exploring some other possibilities.  I think choosing wood/finish may be harder than choosing speakers!

Congrats!  SS8s in Anchorage!  I think you're gonna love them.

MichiganMike

« Reply #57 on: 22 Apr 2012, 06:49 pm »

Maybe this is the reason I can't resist Tineo - meet Andy:

The Pau Ferro veneer on the lower portion of the front of my Soundscape 10's has a pattern that to my eyes resembles a dog's head.  Perhaps this is one of Andy's friends.  The SoundScape speakers sound as good as they look.

Enjoy your SS8 speakers.

pstrisik

« Reply #58 on: 22 Apr 2012, 07:12 pm »
Hi Richard - Thanks, I think you are right!

MichiganMike, I can see that.  Looks like a coyote to me!  It's the speaker Rorschach test!  I've looked at a couple of hundred photos of Salks in various finishes.  There was one that looked outright demonic on the big side panel. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #59 on: 22 Apr 2012, 09:59 pm »
I agree that the finish is the hardest part.