Core Values

Robin Hood

Re: Core Values
« Reply #120 on: 7 Apr 2012, 06:54 pm »
So unless someone can think of something fiendishly clever, I think we'll have to stick with what we have now -- some combination of placement, room treatment, extra woofers, and EQ.

That last would be a lot easier if someone made a little digital EQ box that doesn't digitize the highs. I'm not sure if this is practical though because of latency through the digital section. You couldn't use a linear phase FIR filter, you'd be limited to minimum phase IIR filters. It would also require bi-amping. So it rapidly becomes a costly fix in an analog system. In a digitally-sourced system, it's trivial.

You could always use the Velodyne Bass Management System for EQ frequencies up to 200 Hz. It would be great for subwoofers or woofers that can be run separately from the midrange and tweeter panels. Thus woofers would have the digital EQ for the low frequencies where EQ may be necessary and works best. While the midrange and tweeter panels could be run in pure analog, avoiding any digital manipulations.

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/sms1guide.pdf

josh358

« Reply #121 on: 7 Apr 2012, 08:39 pm »
It does do the same thing, but the Dynamat goes on the metal pole pieces, not the Mylar. The idea is to reduce vibrations in the pole pieces that could be audible.

medium jim

« Reply #122 on: 7 Apr 2012, 09:16 pm »
Josh, my bad, definitely on the metal and not the mylar.

Jim