Bryston B135 SST/2

hal jones

Re: Bryston B135 SST/2
« Reply #120 on: 6 Jan 2013, 08:16 am »
Quick question about the connected/separate switch on the back of the unit.....

If used in separate position....can a separate power amp be attached and then the 135 would function as solely a pre? Connect pre-amp out of 135 to in of he poweramp and that's it?

Not something I'm thinking of doing in the near future, but I just wanted some clarification.

Thanks.

srb

« Reply #121 on: 6 Jan 2013, 08:52 am »
Quick question about the connected/separate switch on the back of the unit.....

If used in separate position....can a separate power amp be attached and then the 135 would function as solely a pre? Connect pre-amp out of 135 to in of he poweramp and that's it?

Yes, but many integrated amplifiers have preamp outputs which can be used to feed an external power amplifier, headphone amplifier or subwoofer.

The B135 has both preamp outputs and power amp inputs that can be separated with a switch to use the preamp and power amp sections independently.  One use of this might be with an active speaker crossover.  The preamp output could be fed into the active crossover and the HF output of the crossover could be fed into the power amp section of the B135 to drive the HF speaker drivers and the LF output of the crossover could be fed to an external power amplifier to drive the LF speaker drivers.

The B60 has the same functionality of preamp outputs and power amp inputs but are connected or separated with jumpers instead of with switches.

Steve

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #122 on: 6 Jan 2013, 10:39 am »
Hi Hal,

Works just fine when bypassing the poweramp within the b100/135. Only downside is that these are RCA connectors and the amp was not constructed in a "balanced" design. As James pointed out this has both pre's  :D and con's. The B135, which I haven't heard, has a newly designed preamp part, which, from other reports, sounds very good. Would be an interesting shootoff B17(135) via RCA to 4b, versus B26 XLR to 4b!

Cheers,
Bob

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #123 on: 1 May 2013, 05:40 am »
James,

the optional available internal dac of the B135 is the same as the dac of the B100?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #124 on: 1 May 2013, 08:01 am »
James,

the optional available internal dac of the B135 is the same as the dac of the B100?

al.

Same but surface mount components instead of hole through.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #125 on: 1 May 2013, 12:03 pm »

...ok, thanks. and what type of dac? i think it is a Crystal XXXXX????

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #126 on: 1 May 2013, 12:15 pm »

...ok, thanks. and what type of dac? i think it is a Crystal XXXXX????

al.

Crystal

Vipers

« Reply #127 on: 1 May 2013, 01:08 pm »
There is an excellent 4.5 star review of the B135 SST2 in this months UK magazine 'HiFi Choice' with a small interview with James if anyone would like a read.

budcook

« Reply #128 on: 1 May 2013, 01:37 pm »
Hi Hal,

Works just fine when bypassing the poweramp within the b100/135. Only downside is that these are RCA connectors and the amp was not constructed in a "balanced" design. As James pointed out this has both pre's  :D and con's. The B135, which I haven't heard, has a newly designed preamp part, which, from other reports, sounds very good. Would be an interesting shootoff B17(135) via RCA to 4b, versus B26 XLR to 4b!

Cheers,
Bob
My BP-17 has both single ended and balanced outputs.  I would not have bought it w/o balanced outputs.  I wish it had balanced inputs but I have no buyer's remorse with it. 

Bud

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #129 on: 1 May 2013, 01:56 pm »
There is an excellent 4.5 star review of the B135 SST2 in this months UK magazine 'HiFi Choice' with a small interview with James if anyone would like a read.

Hi Vipers,

is there a link?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 1 May 2013, 03:54 pm »
Email me if you want the PDF  :thumb:

jamestanner@bryston.com

james

rpmartins

« Reply #131 on: 1 May 2013, 09:38 pm »
Thanks for the pdf.

Read the complete article but, especially  the conclusion, is revealing of someone who didn´t know what to write or simply has   a twisted perception of what music is.
Gave me the impression that for the reviewer classical music  it´s a mix of lost sounds dispersed in a large stage. Not music to be engaging, as he relates it with "cosmetics" where "timing is not crucial". It´s also interesting how he assumes that an amp with "outstanding stereo performance" is adequate to classical music but less important to other kinds.  :duh:

I´m know using my Bryston powered Magnepan to listen to Shostakovich symphony n.º 3 and earlier played Cesaria Evora, Ali Farka Touré and Count Basie and, despite the diferences between them, the stereo image and the evolving dinamic sound is there for all.  :thumb:

So much confusion going on the text that I got the impression he didn´t like the bryston so much and didn´t know how to put it.
Hope some better articles come out.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 1 May 2013, 10:12 pm »
Yes it really is surprising how different opinions can be from different reviewers on exactly the same product.  I have 2 more reviews on the B135 in the works - one from Soundstage and one from Secrets of Home Theater which are superb. :thumb: -

I think the old saying still applies - "Sometimes the reviewer reviews the equipment and sometimes the equipment reviews the reviewer"  :)

james

rpmartins

« Reply #133 on: 1 May 2013, 10:18 pm »
Yes it really is surprising how different opinions can be from different reviewers on exactly the same product.  I have 2 more reviews on the B135 in the works - one from Soundstage and one from Secrets of Home Theater which are superb. :thumb: -

I think the old saying still applies - "Sometimes the reviewer reviews the equipment and sometimes the equipment reviews the reviewer"  :)

james

New to me, but a wise old saying  :green:

saveloy

« Reply #134 on: 2 May 2013, 03:32 pm »
James,

I am an avid reader of Hi-Fi Choice magazine; it is a respected publication here in the UK.  However, it is a pity that the amp was reviewed by Malcolm Steward.  He is a Naim devotee.  Every one of his reviews, regardless of equipment is always compared in one way or another to a Naim product. 
I don't find him very subjective, but it was a good review nonetheless.
The other integrated amp reviewed in the issue received a more factual analysis.

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #135 on: 13 May 2013, 02:26 pm »
Hi Folks,

Great review on the Bryston B135 Integrated Amplifier from Audio ideas Guide.

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/integrateds/bryston-b135sst.html#comments

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #136 on: 15 May 2013, 02:25 pm »
Hi Folks,

This is a link to one of the most complete and competent reviews I have seen in a long time – kudos.

Note the superb measurements which correlate with the superb sound quality!!!!

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/BRYSTON_B135_Review_AUST_HIFI%20-_May2013.pdf

james
« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 03:28 pm by James Tanner »

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #137 on: 15 May 2013, 06:24 pm »
Congratulations on this well-deserved rave review, James. The article is cogent and thorough, devoid of the florid modifiers often used to characterize audio . . . and wine.

I've been lusting after the B135 for my office system. You keep making it harder to resist.

Rich

rpmartins

« Reply #138 on: 15 May 2013, 11:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

This is a link to one of the most complete and competent reviews I have seen in a long time – kudos.

Note the superb measurements which correlate with the superb sound quality!!!!

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/BRYSTON_B135_Review_AUST_HIFI%20-_May2013.pdf

james

Can`t open the link. Only me?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 15 May 2013, 11:36 pm »
Can`t open the link. Only me?

Email me and I will send you the PDF - jamestanner@bryston.com

James