Bryston B135 SST/2

jaxwired

Re: Bryston B135 SST/2
« Reply #100 on: 10 Nov 2012, 07:31 pm »
I asked the same question concerning the the 2.5B SST² (vs. the 2B SST²), which is power amp section of the B135 SST².

And the reply:

On a side note:  When I search the forum for "bryston", the search engine asks me if I instead meant to search for "drystone"!

Steve

In my opinion, there should be a more substantial answer to this question. 

srb

« Reply #101 on: 10 Nov 2012, 07:36 pm »
In my opinion, there should be a more substantial answer to this question.

Which is why I didn't mind referencing it again as I thought we might get further elaboration.

(BTW, in your quote instead of James' actual answer, you have my non-related search observation musing)

Steve

Vipers

« Reply #102 on: 13 Nov 2012, 02:20 pm »
Hi Paul,

Yes you can add the Phono MM or the DAC later if you wish.

james

Thanks James, I'll have a word with PMC, I take it that the MM/MC phono stage that I had in my BP26 isn't available for the B135, only MM?

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2012, 08:54 pm by Vipers »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #103 on: 13 Nov 2012, 07:57 pm »
Thanks James, I'll have a word with PMC, I take it that the MM/MC phono stage that I had in my BP26 isn't available for the B135, only MM?

Had an interesting demo yesterday, as I had a die hard Naim customer in to listen to the B135 after I had been singing its praises so highly to him, now he has got a high end Naim system and came in armed with some troublesome recordings that just don't work on his Naim system, needless to say through the B135 SST2 and PMC Fact 8 combo he was tapping his foot within seconds, something his Naim system couldn't achieve with those recordings.

He left a couple of hours later wondering if his time with Naim was coming to an end and a new horizon possibly awaits with Bryston :)

Hi Vipers - correct only the MM phono can be added not MC.

james

Vipers

« Reply #104 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:06 am »
James, one more question if you don't mind, a customer is really quite taken with the B135 but he really wants a neat solution so ideally with the built in DAC, not a seperate DAC, but doesn't want to be limited to 24/96, are there any plans to make the DAC module 24/192 in the near future?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2012, 08:55 pm by Vipers »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #105 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:24 pm »
James, one more question if you don't mind, My Naim customer is really quite taken with the B135 but he really wants a neat solution so ideally with the built in DAC, not a seperate DAC, but doesn't want to be limited to 24/96, are there any plans to make the DAC module 24/192 in the near future?
Thanks.

I can not promise in the near future but it is something we are going to look at.  We rarely sell internal DAC.s anymore as given the cost and the flexibility of the BDA-1 and 2 it wins everytime.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #106 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm »
I can not promise in the near future but it is something we are going to look at.  We rarely sell internal DAC.s anymore as given the cost and the flexibility of the BDA-1 and 2 it wins everytime.

james

James,

add usb and 192/24 ability in general to the internal dac...should be an interesting option for potential customers to consider Bryston's integrated amps or preamps.

al.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #107 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm »
This new B135 also use a single pair of Transistors at output as the B100??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:12 pm »
This new B135 also use a single pair of Transistors at output as the B100??

Correct.

James

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #109 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:15 pm »
Correct.

James
Thanks for inform James, seems it had a great sound as the B100 too.
Regards

Vipers

« Reply #110 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:11 pm »

james

Thanks James, you make perfect sense as ever, I suggested he would be better of with the outboard Dac but my customer likes the idea of getting away from his multi box Naim system and the one box solution with internal dac of the B135, I'll have to see if I can be a little more persuasive :wink:

niels

« Reply #111 on: 16 Nov 2012, 12:51 am »
192/24?
I have a Cambridge BD751 with 24/192, dont know what I will be using that for because I use digital out from that player to the B-100 dac, it sounds better....

saveloy

« Reply #112 on: 16 Nov 2012, 09:29 pm »
Hello people,

I popped in to see Vipers again today.  He set up the lovely B135 with the BDP/BDA combo & hooked them up to PMC's fact 8 speakers.

Why, I don't know, but the system synergy was sensational.  I wasn't quite expecting that. 
The sound was airy, spacious, delicate, incredibly detailed; quite simply, it was sublime.  Anybody who has heard the fact 8 knows what kind of presentation to expect.  But this, this was something else.  I have never heard them sound so good. 
The room was filled (more on that in a moment) with a luscious & completely engaging sound.  My feet were tapping all along.  The B135 didn't seem to give up anything to the SP3, in terms of detail retrieval.  Admittedly, I was going on memory alone today.  I really could have spent many happy hours with it. 
With regard to filling the room, the ease with which it did belies its quoted output figure.  The B135 isn't going to rattle windows, of course, but it certainly punches above its own wattage weight. 

Kyri

Vipers

« Reply #113 on: 16 Nov 2012, 10:14 pm »
Hi Kyri,

Glad you enjoyed your time with the B135 today, it's a bit special isn't it, I can't quite put my finger on it as it probably hasn't quite got the transparency of a BP26 or SP3 for that matter but it just seems so damn musical, when paired with the Fact 8's it just makes music, whether that be with acoustic, vocal, jazz or rock, everything sounds fantastic.

Funnily enough all week my SP3/7B's have been switched off as all I've listened to is the B135 with the Fact 8's, it really is a special combination, yes the SP3/7B/MB combo is a real heavyweight with power and scale in abundance but there is a real sweetness with the 135/fact8 combo that really appeals and pulls you in :)

Now that my full Bryston system has now moved into HiFi lounge as demo stock, I'm really missing having music at home so I think that the B135 with Fact8 combo may just fill the gap left by the SP3/7B's :)

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #114 on: 16 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm »
Hi Paul,

Sounds like a great combination of components. All the better as I am moving in this direction.
Have you had the chance to compare the b135 to the b100, which I currently own?
Would this Amp, with bdp/bda upstream produce similar magic?

If only I lived closer to your store .....

Cheers,
Bob

The Rang

« Reply #115 on: 31 Dec 2012, 03:17 am »
Hi,

No mistake - we are just being very conservative at 4 ohms because at 4 ohms I think you are better off with a 3B.

james

Hi James,
Am in the market for a new integrated and the B135 is on my short list.
But I have 4 ohm speakers and, according the documentation that came with them, they are a consistent 4 ohms thanks to something called "conjugate load matching".
So, why do you feel the 3B  is a better choice at 4 ohms?
Thanks, Blair

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #116 on: 31 Dec 2012, 12:55 pm »
Hi James,
Am in the market for a new integrated and the B135 is on my short list.
But I have 4 ohm speakers and, according the documentation that came with them, they are a consistent 4 ohms thanks to something called "conjugate load matching".
So, why do you feel the 3B  is a better choice at 4 ohms?
Thanks, Blair

If it is a true 4 ohms consistantly and is not a 'reactive' 4 ohms then the B135 would be just fine. 

What speakers are they?  Does it show the impedance graph of the speakers?

james

The Rang

« Reply #117 on: 31 Dec 2012, 10:05 pm »
If it is a true 4 ohms consistantly and is not a 'reactive' 4 ohms then the B135 would be just fine. 

What speakers are they?  Does it show the impedance graph of the speakers?

james

They're KEF 104/2's http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/80s/Reference_Series_Model_104_2_r.pdf

The term they use is "4 ohms resistive".
Not adept enough with the terminology to know exactly what this means vs "reactive".
The first column on the page titled "Anatomy of an audiophile loudspeaker" talks about this stuff.
Hopefully there is a clear answer in there somewhere :)
Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #118 on: 31 Dec 2012, 10:39 pm »
They're KEF 104/2's http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/80s/Reference_Series_Model_104_2_r.pdf

Not adept enough with the terminology to know exactly what this means vs "reactive".
The first column on the page titled "Anatomy of an audiophile loudspeaker" talks about this stuff.
Thanks,

Looks good - you are fine with the B135  :thumb:

James

werd

« Reply #119 on: 31 Dec 2012, 11:37 pm »

Thanks,

I still own those. The 135 will have no problem at all driving those. They are easy to drive actually.