PMC Moving Away from Bryston Amplification?

SoundGame

PMC Moving Away from Bryston Amplification?
« on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:18 pm »
I just saw that PMC has a newly refreshed website.  On there they have Amplification listed as one of their products and there, their amplifiers D-Series are described as being used in their active speakers.  I'm confused, I though Bryston amplfiers were used in PMC's active models - is this changing?

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/amplification

SoundGame

Re: PMC Moving Away from Bryston Amplification?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2012, 05:07 pm »
Yup, reading more about the PMC product line on their website does seem to indicate that all their Active line is now using their in-house Class-D 200w amplifiers, as follows:

The DS-001, a compact, highly adaptable, 200W cutting edge, audiophile Class D, power amplifier with world beating audio performance.

Measuring only 130×215×41 mm, the DS-001 power size and power weight ratios are unequalled and effectively bullet-proof construction ensures superb reliability with audio performance belying both its size and weight. Its transparency and astounding levels of resolution make it ideal for critical monitoring applications. The ultra compact dimensions enable the unit to be used in free standing, rack mounted, wall mounted, or speaker mounted configurations, enabling the highly effective ‘power-packing’ of any number of compact monitor designs, especially useful for free standing surround sound, or console mounted monitor positioning. Accessories include a rack mount kit that creates up to eight individual channels.

The DS-001 produces an astonishing 200W into 8 ohms with a flat frequency curve under all loads due to its intelligent single feedback loop circuit that senses the loudspeaker’s load and adjusts the response accordingly, making output impedance extremely low and bettering many larger, audiophile ‘Class A’ analogue designs. Both power supply and amplifier are highly efficient with the amplifier delivering 92% efficiency reducing current usage and both exhibit extremely low radiated and conducted EMI - perfect for low noise environments. The extremely compact power supply features over current protection and large electrolytic buffer capacitors which allow for large current delivery and ample dynamic headroom.

Available for 230v or 115v operation with loudspeaker output connections via the robust Neutrik® SpeakON NL4 series. Audio input is via balanced XLR, mains via IEC and gain adjustment easily accessible on the front panel (min 16dB, centre detent 22dB, max 33dB).

The DS-001 also features as the significant upgrade to the new DB1S-A II and TB2S-A II compact ATL™ nearfield monitors, providing a major improvement in audio performance with cleaner, faster more neutral presentation across the full bandwidth. This innovative ultra low noise design also offers an increase in power taking it from 100W to 200W. Teaming the DS-001 with PMC’s highly accurate ATL™ (Advanced Transmission Line) bass loading system, produces a supremely accurate frequency response creating the ideal tool for discerning professional.

Input Impedance: 47k.
Input sensitivity: 0.4 vrms for rated 200w into 8ohms
Max power output: 200W
THD: 0.05% 20Hz 0.004% 20Hz
S/N Ratio: 110dB referenced to 200W
Vol Adjust: Min 17dB - Max 33dB
Idle power consumption: Approx. 15W
Mains connection: IEC 3 pole

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2012, 05:20 pm »

Old news. Nice website, though. The old one was a funhouse.

D.D.

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2012, 12:10 am »
Are they offering 20y warranty?   :wink:

mclsound

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:16 am »
Yea,I had quite the conversation with a member who had the new active IB1 and hated them.They were all out of wack.I am not sure if he ever moved on or not.

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:20 am »
It seems like a shrewd, money saving move that will be justified with a lot of beautiful, encyclopaedic audiophile words.  In the end, people will decide.  This reminds me of all these outfits that got Class D amplification board, slapped a PS and a case and got into business...and disappeared en mass in the early 2000s.

ec

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:30 am »
Just looked at PMC's website and it looks like their super high end active speakers like the MB2 and BB5 and the AML 2 still use Bryston amps.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:11 am »
I remember the DB1+ and TB2+ actives switching to Flying Mole amps a few years ago.  If I recall correctly, that didn't last long as the amps sounded like garbage and Flying Mole went out of business.

Why mess with quality?

JfTM

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:18 am »
I remember the DB1+ and TB2+ actives switching to Flying Mole amps a few years ago.  If I recall correctly, that didn't last long as the amps sounded like garbage and Flying Mole went out of business.

Why mess with quality?

I agree, but it looks like (unfortunately) PMC is looking for that "low cost alternative" where quality is a factor.

SoundGame

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:32 am »
The real shame is when cost savings choices such like these don't result in savings being passed onto clients in the form of reduced or at least flat prices.  Not sure if this is the case with PMC but hopefully, their is something they have in mind for the client.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:06 am »

I was listening to a set of active DB1's with what ever amps they had on them ( weren't Brystons ) about three weeks ago and I thought they actually sounded pretty impressive. So did the other four people listening to them at the time ( none of whom owned PMC's so the fanboy factor was negated ). The dealer was talking about just taking them home for himself. Accompanying gear was a BP-26 and an Esoteric SA-50 as source, Patricia Barber and Jennifer Warren standard " audiophile demo " stuff and then some Dire Straits.

D.D.

MoonUnit

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:34 am »
The opposite way of looking at this is it's a pretty big vote of confidence in whatever digital amp technology they've selected. Does anyone know what it might be? The feedback wording suggests it might be one of the Hypex modules, but that's just a guess.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:35 am »
I was listening to a set of active DB1's with what ever amps they had on them ( weren't Brystons ) about three weeks ago and I thought they actually sounded pretty impressive. So did the other four people listening to them at the time ( none of whom owned PMC's so the fanboy factor was negated ). The dealer was talking about just taking them home for himself. Accompanying gear was a BP-26 and an Esoteric SA-50 as source, Patricia Barber and Jennifer Warren standard " audiophile demo " stuff and then some Dire Straits.

D.D.

Were they new/current PMCs?   If so, they didn't have the amps I'm referring to.  The ones I'm referring to were a good 6 years or so ago.  I personally didn't hear them, but by many accounts they weren't anything special, to put it mildly.  Maybe people expected too much from them, as they were replacing PowerPac 60s.

All I know is a few people who I really trust their ears didn't like them.  Several others felt the same way.  Flying Mole went out of business pretty quickly.  Could have been their sound quality, could have been something else.  Who knows?

Everyone likes what they like; there's no absolutes. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:25 am »
The opposite way of looking at this is it's a pretty big vote of confidence in whatever digital amp technology they've selected. Does anyone know what it might be? The feedback wording suggests it might be one of the Hypex modules, but that's just a guess.

Yes they are Hypex.

James

Diamond Dog

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm »
  I personally didn't hear them,...

And yet you feel justified in offering up critiques like this :

And then follow it with this:

Several others felt the same way.  Flying Mole went out of business pretty quickly.  Could have been their sound quality, could have been something else.  Who knows?

Everyone likes what they like; there's no absolutes. 

Who knows? Apparently not you. And " the amps sounded like garbage" sounds pretty "absolute" to me.
Saying something inflammatory based on second-hand opinion and then tacking on a comment like that or " IMHO " or YMMV " is just weak.

D.D.

Alpha10

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:12 pm »
Yes they are Hypex.

James

Absolutely right James. I have two of the little (and they are little) PMC DS-001s powering my TB2i's which are on surround duty, they are fabulous little amps. When PMC developed them, they 'voiced' them to match the 4BSST, so I have 4BSST2 on my front pair a Powerpac for my centre and the PMC hold their own nicely on rear dutys.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:21 pm »
Absolutely right James. I have two of the little (and they are little) PMC DS-001s powering my TB2i's which are on surround duty, they are fabulous little amps. When PMC developed them, they 'voiced' them to match the 4BSST, so I have 4BSST2 on my front pair a Powerpac for my centre and the PMC hold their own nicely on rear dutys.

Cheers

OK - I am going to have to ask for your junior Bryston badge back. (LOL)

james

Alpha10

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:31 pm »
OK - I am going to have to ask for your junior Bryston badge back. (LOL)

james

Well, of course IF we had some 4BSST2 MONO amps, I would jump on those, to get my badge back  :peek:

:lol:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:54 pm »
And yet you feel justified in offering up critiques like this :

And then follow it with this:

Who knows? Apparently not you. And " the amps sounded like garbage" sounds pretty "absolute" to me.
Saying something inflammatory based on second-hand opinion and then tacking on a comment like that or " IMHO " or YMMV " is just weak.

D.D.

Take my post however you want.  The problem with typing on a forum is that you can see a person's emotions, body language, etc., and nor can you have a conversation in real time.  I can't possibly type every single thing I'm thinking on the fly and clarify it.

You need to relax a bit.  Seems you're taking my comments a bit personally.  Did you design the Flying Mole amps?  Sorry if I offended you by posting what i did about the amps.  Regardless of my second hand impressions, the fact remains that PMC did not use them for very long, and Flying Mole went out of business very quickly. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:58 pm »
And I have to ask again - were the versions you heard the one's with the Flying Mole amps or not?   Were they the + version or the i version?   There are a lot of differences here.  To say you heard them and they sounded great is at this point meaningless, because we don't know if we're talking about the same speakers.