Best Imaging PreAmps

cal3713

Best Imaging PreAmps
« on: 22 Feb 2012, 04:58 pm »
Hi, I'm in the market for a preamp (~$2000 used budget) and am curious what people see as the best imaging preamps at this price range.  I could do either SS or Tube, but can't have too high of an output impedance (probably to be mated to a Pass X250.5)...

Thanks for the input.

Wallacefl

Re: Best Imaging PreAmps
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2012, 01:13 am »
It is hard to beat a passive preamp when it comes to imaging :thumb:

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2012, 02:01 am »
I haven't had a ton of experience with pre amps but as far as imaging and versatility the Eastern Electric Avant is the cleanest most versatile pre I have heard thus far.  It is on my very short list.  There are a lot of great imaging pre amps and amps out there, imaging is a tough equation to put all on one component though, I find the quieter the noise floor typically the more air there is in the stage between instruments.  A lot of this noise can come from the amp as well, the Eastern electric sounded very good with a D-sonic which was a very quiet amp as well, still very good with the tube set up in the room as well.  Good luck! 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:53 am »
I'm happy with my Jaton RC2000S (well built, high content value, very neutral sound).  Note that passive pre-amps can lack dynamics if not paired correctly to the rest of your system (my first pre-amp was passive).  The Jaton comes in 2 versions (phone pre-amp or DAC/subwoofer ready):

http://www.jaton.com/av/product_detail_ex.php?idx=4
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0112/jaton_operetta_rc2000p.htm
http://www.stereomojo.com/Jaton%20RC2000/JatonRC2000Preamp_DACReview.htm
http://www.goodsound.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142

Contact John Casler here at Audio Circle (and check for B-stock, that's how I got mine):

http://www.wix.com/bioforce/summit-audio-video

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2012, 05:53 am »
it's harder to beat a quality active tubed preamp.   8)

doug s.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:08 pm »
I'm happy with my Jaton RC2000S (well built, high content value, very neutral sound).  Note that passive pre-amps can lack dynamics if not paired correctly to the rest of your system (my first pre-amp was passive). 

Note that anything in a system can lack a little bit of anything when not properly paired, not to be snarky, but it is all about cohesiveness in a system.  I have heard great imaging pres sound terrible with poor imaging speakers and visa versa.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2012, 01:14 pm »

doug s.

+1

I've never heard a SS pre come anywhere near a good tube pre in terms of space and air.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2012, 01:45 pm »
Agree!  Having listened to a quality SS pre for years, and having recently purchased a Dodd battery tube buffer w/GP volume control, there is an apparent difference in the sonic character that is very revealing with no fatigue.  Amazing preamp!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2012, 01:54 pm »
Agree!  Having listened to a quality SS pre for years, and having recently purchased a Dodd battery tube buffer w/GP volume control, there is an apparent difference in the sonic character that is very revealing with no fatigue.  Amazing preamp!
I don't think there is anything out there that comes close to the Dodd pre for the money.  I have the buffer as well, which actually offers a bit more detail (probably the tube difference), but the pre is much more flexible since it has gain.   Gary has re-designed the pre to operate on one tube and an exterior power source, lowering the price to around $1.5K- it's an excellent deal.

bummrush

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:01 pm »
Coda  Innersound. All are passive til you want to give them gain if even needed it's all adjustable

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:04 pm »
I don't think there is anything out there that comes close to the Dodd pre for the money.

SAS Audio Labs 10A. 
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2012, 04:22 am by opnly bafld »

Old timer

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2012, 02:27 pm »
The Tube Research Labs Dude is the soundstage king, IMHO. It is also the most dynamic preamp that I've ever heard. 

I'd put it up against any preamp, at any price range, it is that good. (Excluding TRL's more expensive preamps).

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2012, 03:51 pm »
  In my experience, CJ, AR and CAT. Three different characters that deliver 3D type imaging.

charles

morganc

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2012, 06:14 pm »
Two more thumbs up for the Dodd.  I have the new Pre-Amp mkii and it is fantastic and detailed, with a great soundstage.  Gary does have some new offerings in the works and I will not spill the beans here, but he may have just what you are looking for as far as not too much gain is concerned. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2012, 07:00 pm »
The Tube Research Labs Dude is the soundstage king, IMHO. It is also the most dynamic preamp that I've ever heard. 

I'd put it up against any preamp, at any price range, it is that good. (Excluding TRL's more expensive preamps).
got one f/s for <$2k?   :green:

i'd put my melos ma333r up against any pre at any price - especially now since i am controlling its wolume w/an ldr pot.  and, they show up used every so often at well under $2k.  fully dual mono, and 3 or 6 inputs (depending on whether you get balanced or single-ended) and two tape loops - wery flexible.  oh, did i also mention they sound great?   8)

doug s.

Chris Adams

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2012, 07:40 pm »
I have a Pass B1 buffer and a Wyred4Sound STP-SE pre. The B1 has a Goldpoint attenuator, TX2575 resistors and AudioCap Theta caps. Both pieces image extremely well and provide a large and spacious stage. The Pass is a little leaner and the W4S has more meat on the bone. I can listen to either one but the W4S usually gets the nod because of the remote, balance control and phase switch. It also has 3 single ended and 2 balanced ins and 2 single ended and 2 balanced outs. 

cheap-Jack

« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm »
Hi.

BINGO!

That's what I am using all these many years. Passive linestage is virtually a straight line without gain. It gives me most neutral sound plus precise imaging & sounstaging.

Years back, I brought it with me on my overseas business trips for auditioning vs hi-end brandname active linestages/preamps in hi-end audio boutiques. It beat them ALL in term of sound neutralness, transparency,  soundstaging & imaging.

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2012, 11:28 pm »
Hi.

doug s.

No active linestages generate zero harmonic distortions & phase shifts. ONLY, repeat, only passive gives zero distortions. Period.

Our ears love pure music, not distorted music.

FYI, my tube phonostage (a 1 single-stage RIAA active stage plus passive linestage) & it sound so neutral & so open like live. I am yet to audition one that sound more neutral & livelike.

c-J

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2012, 11:52 pm »
Second that.  I have tried some passives in the past and was never impressed with their laid back style.  I'm not inclined to go after any other pre except a BAT Rex someday.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2012, 12:17 am »
Hi.
No active linestages generate zero harmonic distortions & phase shifts. ONLY, repeat, only passive gives zero distortions. Period.

Our ears love pure music, not distorted music.

FYI, my tube phonostage (a 1 single-stage RIAA active stage plus passive linestage) & it sound so neutral & so open like live. I am yet to audition one that sound more neutral & livelike.

c-J
not only do i disagree with you, you disagree w/yourself.  why not run a passive fono stage?   :wink:

what does "zero distortion" mean, anyway, when it comes to trying to create the illusion of music in your home?  the entire recording chain is such that "zero distortion" in the playback chain may not prowide the most realistic illusion of music.  for my ears, nothing does better than a top notch tube preamp. i could care less if it's "less accurate" to the recording chain, as long as it's "more accurate" in recreating the illusion of real music.  there is simply not enough known regarding measurements, to know what, on paper, will recreate this illusion best.  the ears know best.

ymmv,

doug s.