Help me make up my mind

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Help me make up my mind
« on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:03 pm »
I'm very, very happy with my purchase of an Insight+ 250 amp last fall. Now, with my tax return due any day, it's time for a new pre-amp. The problem is I'm not sure which direction to go in, the Insight+ or the T-8+. To be honest tubes scare me. I'm much more comfortable with solid state and I don't even know if the T-8+ is an appropriate choice for my amp. However, I read somewhere that you should have at least one tube in the chain. So my question is which would you recommend me buying and why? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Doc

coke

Re: Help me make up my mind
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:14 pm »
What are you using for a DAC?   

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:19 pm »
Doc,

First a big Oorah! Then I must say I understand your fear of tubes. Rest assured, my friend, they will last a very long time. Order a spare set when you order your preamp.

I just ordered a FET-valve preamp, moments ago, with phono board and remote control. More money then a T8, but that's the machine I want.

I also agree that I like at least 1 tube thingy in the lineup, so this preamp will drive one of my 2 SS AVA amps.

The T8 is also a great choice.......

Wayner  8)

Art_Chicago

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:21 pm »
I have a T8+ and AVA SS amp of previous generation. I absolutely recommend this combo, unless you listen to hard rock only. For acoustic instruments it is an easy choice. On the other hand -- I heard a hybrid  Fet-Valve series  (preamp and amp), and those are extra class if you are ready pay more.

mathgeek97

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2012, 09:58 pm »
I am rockin' a Vision DAC -> T8+ -> Insight+ 260.
I still consider myself a total tube newbie, but I took the plunge and have been very, very happy with the combo.  I agree on the comments about amazing sound on acoustic recordings, but it still blows me away on rock recordings, too.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm »
I have a AvaStar tube/FET hybrid pre and a FetValve 600R amp. Love them both. The tubes in the pre are aprox. 2 yrs. old and test as new. I was considering doing a tube roll and I was wondering how they were holding up so I checked. They are running so conservatively in that design that I suspect that it will be many more years before they need to be replaced. The pre sounds so good I left it as is.

I also have a Blaupunkt radio with 50 yr old tubes in it and a Dynaco MKIV amp almost as old and both are still going strong with the original tubes. Good design means low maintenance.

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm »
Our transcendence 8+ pure vacuum tube preamplifier will interface great with your Insight+ power amp.

It will provide the ability to just draw you into the emotion of the music with no negative consequences, other than the cost of a couple of tubes every few years ($30 for a pair of 6CG7 tubes right now from us).

There are no adjustment needed when replacing tubes and has others mentioned herein, we expect long tube life.

If the additional cost over that of our Insight+ solid state preamps is not a big barrier for you, I suggest now would be a great time to make the jump.

The Transcendence 8+ has been on The Absolute Sound's Editor's Choice list for the past four years.  We must be doing something right.

Thanks much for your interest.

Frank Van Alstine

G E

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2012, 12:55 am »
Tubes can add a nice touch to vocals, reed and string instruments.  If your speakers tend toward the clinical, a tube preamp can add a little warmth and humanity.  If that characterizes your situation and the speakers are long term keepers, go for it.

Better yet, order the t8, the hybrid and a solid state preamp and see which one floats your boat.  Frank/ AVA offers a 30 day trial if my poor memory serves me correctly.  That way you can evaluate in your particular domain.

ge

vhiner

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:03 am »
Totally agree with everyone here that at least one tube in the system adds a musicality that can't be matched by solid state unless you go to stratospheric price points. Tube preamps are virtually fuss free, which is a major selling point for me.

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:30 am »
I would kind of frown on someone ordering three different preamplifiers from us at once, knowing that they were planning on keeping only one of them at best.

Maybe, under certain conditions, we could consider a short term rental agreement.  However we expect that people ordering our equipment are doing so with the intention of keeping the equipment unless the equipment just is not right for their system.

We cannot maintain our very reasonable prices if clients take unfair advantage of our satisfaction guarantee.

Be reasonable please.

Frank Van Alstine

G E

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2012, 01:58 am »
Frank -

I hope I did not speak out of turn in suggesting 3 purchases at once and returning two. I guess that would open one up to curiosity seekers etc.

Sorry about any cans of worms opened!

ge

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:19 am »
Maybe a circle member near you could help you with an audition, audiophiles tend to like showing off their systems. Or, as it used to say in the aVA catalog, hop on a plane and go hear the equipment at the source. You will probably like any of them at least as much as you like your 250.

trebejo

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2012, 04:03 am »
A great tube preamp is like a lovely lady with a few extra pounds in all the right places.  :peek:

mark funk

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2012, 10:45 am »
Thats a good one!  :lol:

:smoke:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm »
A great tube preamp is like a lovely lady with a few extra pounds in all the right places.  :peek:
"I bought it because it reminded me of you, dear." That's the ticket.

Thanks for all the responses. There seems to be a consensus. I will most likely overcome my trepidations and take your advice and go with the T-8+. $30 every few years seems a small price to pay for the improvements.

Doc.

Kinger

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2012, 03:28 pm »
Another happy owner of the T8 here.  As others have mentioned, the T8 adds a nice bit of tube flavor to your sound without the hassle of main amp power tubes.  To me, the T8 just added that extra touch of 3D sound or the "that singer/instrument sounds so real" flavor to the presentation.  Other great thing about the T8 is the fact that it can be an all in one unit if you need a can amp or phonostage. (Which I did.)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2012, 03:45 pm »
  The choice really is a no brainer. You could go down the preamp of the week exercise if you like. The AVA pre is a easy peasy match for the Amp. The tubes will only enhance your listening experience.
   Choosing a one brand Pre and Amp is in this case a no brainer. Go with AVA Preamp and be done, happy with extra money in your pocket. :thumb:

charles

gregcss

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2012, 05:02 pm »
I have a T8+ and AVA SS amp of previous generation. I absolutely recommend this combo, unless you listen to hard rock only. For acoustic instruments it is an easy choice.

I see mathgeek's comment about rock music on this setup but was curious what hard rock sounds like with your setup? I listen to a variety of music including hard rock and metal. I'm in no way looking for a preamp or amp at the moment but maybe someday I will.

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2012, 08:59 pm »

First person to make a tube rolling joke gets a high five

Art_Chicago

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2012, 09:44 pm »
I see mathgeek's comment about rock music on this setup but was curious what hard rock sounds like with your setup? I listen to a variety of music including hard rock and metal. I'm in no way looking for a preamp or amp at the moment but maybe someday I will.

Hard rock sounds good for me with T8+ on a good recording, but tubes tend to soften (slow) things like a bass guitar a bit depending on the design. T8+ isn't slow at all as some "romantic" tube preamps.  My point is that for heavy music only there is no need to spend extra on tubes, imho.