Tube Research Labs (TRL) Dude Is Here!

BAJ55

Tube Research Labs (TRL) Dude Is Here!
« on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:45 pm »
It was a long 11 week wait but it was well worth it. I have owned many different pre's and I have to say compared to the Dude, none of them were nearly as musical as the Dude. Not even the ARC Ref3 which the dude replaced. And at $4000 compared to $10,000 for the ref3 the Dude for me, is a bargin. The build is somewhat industrial, no fancy buttons, lights, or switches but the sound is the best I have heard in a pre and it makes me reflect back on all the money i have wasted on other pre's.  The music is big, dynamic, and perfectly detailed. The bass is the best i have heard in quanity and most of all quality. It is so easy to follow the notes of a bass line. It is impressive how powerful but yet at ease the music comes at me. Lots of bass but not fat and flabby? Lots of detail but not bright? I was begining to believe that was impossible but now with the dude it is possible. Paul from trl has been very open to all my questions before I recieved the dude and still now after the purchase.
I have had the Dude breaking in with music for the last 3 weeks.  At first listen out of the box I knew that it was special, now at 3 weeks I am positive that my search for a pre is over!
BAJ

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Tube Research Labs (TRL) Dude Is Here!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm »
Welcome to the Dude world!   :thumb:

It really is an awesome pre.   :green:

And yes, we do want pics of the unit in it's place.   :wink:

Mine are here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99995.0

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:13 pm »
That is one of the best Dude paragraphs I have read... Good job covering its character so well, with out a bunch of fat.

Maybe some day......

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:15 pm »
Lots of new Dude owners in the last 12 months.

Gopher

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:30 pm »
Seems like nothing but praise is spoken of this preamp.

I'll see what its about for myself tonight when Berto brings his to my place...   my curiosity is piqued!

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2012, 03:37 pm »
I was very psyched to see that a remote is now a possibility (crossing fingers it wasn't a one time thing). Look forward to hearing more impressions.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:00 pm »
I was very psyched to see that a remote is now a possibility (crossing fingers it wasn't a one time thing). Look forward to hearing more impressions.

If remote was a possibility back when I was replacing the Parasound JC2, I would have been very interested in the Dude.

Is there anybody in the Boston area who has a Dude and would be interested in comparing it to an Atma-Sphere MP-1? 

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2012, 01:34 am »
Seems like nothing but praise is spoken of this preamp.

I'll see what its about for myself tonight when Berto brings his to my place...   my curiosity is piqued!

I see that it is now for sale...very interesting development.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2012, 01:39 am »
What's up with that?

Gopher

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2012, 01:41 am »
We rescheduled for wed, so it had nothing to do with a shoot out or anything.  I think Berto, like myself, just went a little crazy acquiring a lot of expensive equipment and can't keep it all. 

Someone else will reap the benefits. :-)

Berto

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2012, 01:49 am »
  Me and Fred did'nt hook up tonite but I was pondering for last few days about selling.

My soundstage no surprise has shrunk and my room is no longer filled with same music on same scale but im making other changes in my rig to hopefully compensate for this. I also need the funds to make this all happen, hence the sale.

This is nothing short of a leap of faith and and perhaps part insanity :scratch:

PS..If I didnt need the $ the dude would never be for sale.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2012, 01:53 am »
  Me and Fred did'nt hook up tonite but I was pondering for last few days about selling.

My soundstage no surprise has shrunk and my room is no longer filled with same music on same scale but im making other changes in my rig to hopefully compensate for this. I also need the funds to make this all happen, hence the sale.

This is nothing short of a leap of faith and and perhaps part insanity :scratch:

PS..If I didnt need the $ the dude would never be for sale.

Been there...done that.

Good luck with the sale.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2012, 02:03 am »
yEAH, IT HURTS TO DO THAT.

Berto

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2012, 01:13 am »
Welp almost a year later and I finally got the preamp of my dreams shipping to me tom. It's actually very similar to the one I sold except for a few upgrades things like Dueland Cast PIO caps, custom musical notes top, Remote, more gradual volume control,  and a color more to my liking. Shipping tom , here is a sneak peak. Pumped :thumb:

fridays

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:30 am »
Berto
It looks kool, let us know how it breaks in
Does the remote affect the sound in anyway not sure if Paul would do it if it did
Enjoy

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:33 am »
Can one really be unbiased when one reviews a component that took a year to obtain?   I just got 211 monoblocks in the same situation, so its really a serious rhetorical question.

Berto

« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2012, 03:00 am »
Hi Fridays,

It's a BENT remote. It's completely out of the signal. You might recognize the remote as several MFG's are using it.

And JoshK this is my second Dude preamp. Bought first one on here one year ago. I thought it was awesome, but at the time I was lusting a Lampizator DAC. So I figured I would sell it to fund the Lamp. Basically a mistake on my part. :duh:

My Dude was not compatible with my Lamp and I ended up selling the wrong piece since no preamp (shindo, audion I also tried) worked with the Lamp. I've been missing the Dude ever since. There is definitely something to be said for buying custom and getting EXACTLY what you want, even if it means a wait time is involved. 

JoshK

« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2012, 03:02 am »
The bent remote is the shiznit!  As a diy techy, I respect that stuff!   :thumb:

In that case, I want to hear your review.  Do you know how much gain it has?  Output Z?

Berto

« Reply #18 on: 27 Dec 2012, 03:11 am »
I've owned both the S/E and Balanced version of the Tap preamps.  Remote is def sweet!

Between 16-18 db depending on 6sn7s I was told. But my volume control is alot more gradual per my request. I think I got like 4 steps on my first Dude before the room was filled with sound. Now i'm told I can get about 15 steps. Just makes it alot more flexible IMO.

Excuse me, but what's output z?
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2012, 12:01 am by Berto »

jriggy

« Reply #19 on: 27 Dec 2012, 03:12 am »
Congrats Birto!!!
Glad you will have your sound back!
We'll have to chat soon

~J