Recommendations for $2000 active audio/HT speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Recommendations for $2000 active audio/HT speakers
« Reply #40 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:14 pm »
Found a close contender (a 5 year old review and priced at $3200/pair), doesn't look like its still in production.   :(

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_2/canton-cd-3200-speakers-6-2007-part-1.html

srb

« Reply #41 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:51 pm »
Found a close contender .....

Per your bass requirements, they don't appear close at all:

"On the Bench
The Canton's frequency response (quasi-anechoic, measured at 1 meter) reflected my subjective impressions: relatively flat with a drop-off in the lower frequencies. The bass response became unstable around 200 Hz, and was permanently down 3 dB at 60 Hz, which is to be expected from 4" drivers loaded in a slim cabinet."

Steve

JLM

« Reply #42 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:22 am »

Per your bass requirements, they don't appear close at all:

"On the Bench
The Canton's frequency response (quasi-anechoic, measured at 1 meter) reflected my subjective impressions: relatively flat with a drop-off in the lower frequencies. The bass response became unstable around 200 Hz, and was permanently down 3 dB at 60 Hz, which is to be expected from 4" drivers loaded in a slim cabinet."

Steve

I know, getting a bit desparate.   :roll:

srb

« Reply #43 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:34 am »
If your bass expectations have lessened, there are a number of good known 2-way active monitors with 6" or 7" woofers that can do a little bit better than -3dB @ 60Hz, such as the Dynaudio BM6A MkII (7" LF) @ $1300/pair, that could be combined with a pair of custom box "stands" built to matching width and depth dimensions, your preferred tweeter height and matching finish color, and probably still meet your $2K budget.

Steve

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:42 am »
http://www.eventelectronics.com/opal

If you do your homework on these, chances are you won't consider anything else. 

charmerci

« Reply #45 on: 13 Feb 2012, 06:04 am »
http://www.eventelectronics.com/opal

If you do your homework on these, chances are you won't consider anything else.

The Opals are $5K. Their 20/20BA's can be had for 900. (I've never heard them before.)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #46 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:30 am »
I own a pair of the K+H 0300s referred to earlier in the thread. Their list price is much higher than the street price of around $4500/pr.

I think they're exceptional speakers, but I also think they need a sub for home theater. My advice would be to buy a pair of their cheaper siblings - the sensational Neumann KH120.
http://tinyurl.com/3vqz2ly
These things are causing a furor in the home studio and pro audio market. George Massenburg uses a pair for mixing his projects now and he is a very big (and discerning) player in the industry: http://www.mcgill.ca/music/about-us/bio/george-massenburg

This is the first Neumann branded speaker in history - the name appeared on microphones only until now, and their microphone's appearance has become virtually iconic in its association with the "big-time" recording experience. The re-branding is the good idea of the parent company Sennheiser who owns both Neumann and Klein und Hummel. K+H were an exceptional but unknown brand of studio monitor. Neumann is the perfect brand fit. They improved the K+H speaker on which they are based and dropped the price about a quarter at the same time.
I auditioned a pair at my studio and loved them, but ultimately loved my 0300s just a little better in the bass and mid range. I actually preferred the highs from the 120, though. The difference was much closer than it should have been for the price differential; the Neumann KH120s go for around $1500/pr.

My advice would be to buy a pair and when you can afford it, buy the KH0800 sub that matches them. The sub costs around $2000, but maybe Neumann will come out with a better cheaper one of those in the near future, too. Alternately, A Hsu sub could be had for around $500 and you could get right to it.

Opal was received with hysterical excitement a couple of years ago, but questions seem to be surfacing about midrange and bass quality. There seems to be a consensus that they go extraordinarily loud for their size and cost, but are a little rough around the edges for making subtle judgements. I imagine they could be a great home speaker, though - one where part of the fun is blowing visitors' minds as to the sheer output from a modest sized box.

A lot of people in the recording industry are keeping an eye on the speaker division of Neumann at the moment.

JLM

« Reply #47 on: 14 Feb 2012, 10:48 am »
W.C., thanks for the heads up but a bit too pricey

charmerci, thanks too, that's more like it price wise, wonder if the 20/20BAS would be enjoyable for home use?

Russell, big thanks, again wonder if they'd be too ruthlessly detailed for home entertainment?   :thumb:

I'll keep researching...

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #48 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:40 pm »
The Neumann KH120s would not be ruthless, except in a benign way. What you would get is, in particular, no false emphasis in the lower mids / bass region, no scoop in the mids to provide artificial clarity and no boost in the highs to provide false sense of air. This translates to gorgeous sound on material well recorded and mastered. Distortion is noticeably low throughout at higher levels than you would expect from a relatively small box. One caveat, of course, is that being a professional piece of gear the inputs are 3 pin XLR, but you run off normal consumer level outputs with a RCA to XLR cable which is not that hard to find.

Keep in mind you have elaborate tonal adjustment control on the back to compensate for room position - you can adjust to allow wall mounting, for example.

These would be wonderful for home entertainment, in my books!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #49 on: 16 Feb 2012, 12:55 am »
Just wondering, why are you wanting active? 

JLM

« Reply #50 on: 16 Feb 2012, 10:10 am »
Turbo,  superior dynamics, truly flat frequency response, and unimaginably extended bass from a 2-way (all the typical active advantages).

Again, not what I wanted, but found these 2-way active standmounts that have matching sub available and include one analog input, two digital inputs, pre-amp, DAC, plus remote for $1450 USD.  This company has built all these bits in other pieces, just think of the $ saved and the possible synergy!  They bridge the gap between studio and home uses and would seem great for a desktop or 2nd system, just add source(s):

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9_hifichoice_review.html

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #51 on: 16 Feb 2012, 06:25 pm »
At £1175, if you are looking at this page: http://www.avihifi.co.uk/store.html
I think the price works out to $1858, not $1450.

Based on a close analysis of AVI I did a few years ago when I discovered them for myself, I lost interest in them. Ashley, the designer, made a few posts on AudioCircle, too. Here's one thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49512.msg457507#msg457507
He is hyper-enthusiastic and effective at self-promotion, but I didn't like the tone of some of the exchanges I read on a British audiophile forum.
That said, that they are still in business means something.

I wouldn't give them a moment's thought, though, with the Neumann alternative. And you can hear the Neumann - what is the return policy for the AVI? The shipping must cost, assuming you are in the USA.

srb

« Reply #52 on: 16 Feb 2012, 06:55 pm »
AVI says "It is important to understand that ADM9T's and the AVI 10" Sub sub have been designed as a system and best results will be achieved if they are used together."

I am a bit surprised at two things:

1. That a 6-1/2" driver in a ported enclosure is down as much as -6dB at 60Hz, instead of -3dB.
2. If the intention is that they be used with the subwoofer that they did not choose a sealed aligment for the mains.

I too, would probably instead go with a known, locally available brand.  If digital input is on the want list, something like the JBL LSR4328 with an 8" LF can achieve 50Hz - 20KHz +/- 1.5dB, and has S/PDIF Coaxial and AES/EBU digital inputs as well as DSP room correction ($1560/pair).

Steve

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #53 on: 16 Feb 2012, 07:13 pm »
There is a digital input version of the Neumann KH120D.

tvyankee

« Reply #54 on: 16 Feb 2012, 07:18 pm »
Hello,

I have heard these and i work in a very expensive audio room almost everyday so i know little bit about good sound. I do not have these in the room but for the money they are really very good.

And the most important thing is the price is right.

http://www.equatoraudio.com/Equator_Q8_Studio_Monitor_p/q8.htm

Good Luck.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #55 on: 16 Feb 2012, 08:12 pm »
Hello,

I have heard these and i work in a very expensive audio room almost everyday so i know little bit about good sound. I do not have these in the room but for the money they are really very good.

And the most important thing is the price is right.

http://www.equatoraudio.com/Equator_Q8_Studio_Monitor_p/q8.htm

Good Luck.

Those had caught my eye a couple of years ago, but the price of $3000 a pair gave me pause, but at $1000 a pair - wow!
Now I'm interested!
Good review here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct09/articles/equatorq8.htm

Here's a comparison with a respected monitor (PMC TB-2As), but from July 2008. Equator may have made improvements since then. Also note that the Q8 was selling for $3k at the time:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/2586053-post13.html

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #56 on: 17 Feb 2012, 02:15 am »
Turbo,  superior dynamics, truly flat frequency response, and unimaginably extended bass from a 2-way (all the typical active advantages).

Guess I missed that memo  :lol:

Are you saying those are the advantages based on your own personal experience, or theoretical advantages based on your understanding? 

I don't want to start a fight about what you've said, I'll just leave it at my experience having done active setups numerous times with DEQX, Behringer, and a pc based setup using Soundeasy.  Which is I've always been able to make passive systems sound better in almost every way.  Why that is would be speculation, but after probably 200 hours of experimentation, I personally have no desire to mess with active solutions any more. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #57 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:58 am »
Well, you can take the crossover out of the speaker but you can't take the speaker out of the crossover.  :scratch:  Or something like that......  :icon_lol:.

I think that whatever you gain by eliminating the filter network at the speaker you lose by moving those challenges upstream. No free lunch anyway.

JLM,
Some of those speaker suggestions look pretty good man, but I think that you will grow tired of listening to pro monitors when you just want to be entertained by your system. Your stereo should have a personality that suits you. Pro monitors don't really have a personality. They are great tools, but not very good toys.

Toys are more fun!   :D

JLM

« Reply #58 on: 17 Feb 2012, 09:37 am »
Sorry too lazy to re-read my own thread, and I know I've posted this in AC before, but...

Around 2000 I auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 (original series, a rather typical small 2-way standmount, $800/pair) versus Paradigm Active 20 (same drivers, similar cabinets abet bi-amps, $1600/pair).  No contest.  As the articles you can find relate, much greater dynamics, ruler flat frequency response, and big/full/deep bass like you couldn't believe.  I played with them for a couple of hours but it only took a few seconds for this epiphany to sink in.

Turbo, I'd be amazed that any passive (other than a truly single driver design) could match these qualities.

JLM

« Reply #59 on: 17 Feb 2012, 09:45 am »
QE, your point about pro monitor "fatigue" is my #1 worry, in fact after the mid-range emphasis that is my compliant of Lowthers (too analytical).  I listen to enjoy.

tvyankee, thanks for the heads up I'll look into them some more.

Russell, the KH120/KH120D are not off my radar screen.  And my bad on the price (I mis-remembered).  Yes I'm in the U.S.  Read a couple of reviews on AVI speakers and they seemed OK.  It's the concept, moving to digital sources, that intrigued me.

Steve, (good catch ported/60 Hz, matched to sealed sub), I wondered too about that.