Recommendations for $2000 active audio/HT speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Recommendations for $2000 active audio/HT speakers
« on: 29 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm »
Looking for a 2 floorstander setup that images well (to forgo the center channel).  Must be fully active (one amplifier per driver).  Audio is the absolute first priority, bass deep "enough" (say 25 Hz) for HT (low priority).  Must be placement flexible for possible use in a smaller room.

Has anyone seen such beasts?

TIA

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Recommendations for $2000 active audio/HT speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2012, 02:04 pm »
Given your parameters, I would explore used P.A. speakers. It seems that a lot of them are powered nowadays. Paradigm might have something for you in their archives as well. Or NHT Pro.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2012, 03:17 pm »
Not at the $2k price point. You can look at pro monitors but I doubt you'll find one that goes down to 25Hz.

At $3k? there's the Pluto from Linkwitz. If you want to go up 10x there's ATCs.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Wood%20Artistry%20LL-home.htm

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/pluto-wa_2.htm

Another choice would be to take pair of passives and use electronic crossovers but that's going to be more than $2k as well.

dwk

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2012, 04:15 pm »
I'd tend to agree that it's going to be tough to accomplish this for $2k. I did a DIY setup using the NHT Xds monitor closeouts, and even DIY it ended up being closer to $3k than $2k, and I didn't really get an honest 25 Hz (although that was a conscious decision - I could have if I went ported rather than sealed on the woofers)

I think your best bet would be to look at some good pro monitors in the $1.5k range (Adam, Mackie, Genelec) and consider augmenting with a powered sub for HT if needed.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2012, 04:18 pm »

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2012, 06:13 pm »
At just a little over , street price, these have been getting good reviews.

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neumann-kh/home_en.nsf/root/prof-monitoring_studio-monitors_nearfield-monitors_O300

Yes, I recall those.  Very nice, but standmounts and bass down to only 35 Hz.

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2012, 06:21 pm »
Finding a 2.1 active system is not a problem.  My current favorite perspective is Blue Sky (professional monitor with integrated bass).  John Casler (from here at AC) carries them.   :thumb:

The Pluto, with sub, is $5500.   :(

Duke (AudioKinesis) just introduced a powered guitar cabinet for roughly $2000/pair that reach 55 Hz.

Hey if this was easy I wouldn't be asking for your help.   :)

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2012, 08:37 pm »
Are you averse to "B-stock" or 2 separate active cabs (2 amps + 2 line inputs) per side?

cheers,

AJ

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2012, 09:15 pm »
Not at the $2k price point. You can look at pro monitors but I doubt you'll find one that goes down to 25Hz.

At $3k? there's the Pluto from Linkwitz. If you want to go up 10x there's ATCs.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Wood%20Artistry%20LL-home.htm

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/pluto-wa_2.htm

Another choice would be to take pair of passives and use electronic crossovers but that's going to be more than $2k as well.

Yikes!  When did the Orions get to be 14,500/pair? 

srb

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2012, 09:49 pm »
Yes, a $2K price point is tough, most powered speakers are monitors, and 25Hz isn't likely for either an active monitor or floorstander at that price point.

The German ADAM ARTist 6 floorstander is fully active, but LF response is 48Hz.  Coming soon, "Delivery dates will be anounced shortly", and available for preorder w/free shipping for $2K/pair from B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/771269-REG/Adam_Professional_Audio_ARTIST_6_BLACK_ARTist_6_150W_Dual.html

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/artist-6/description

Steve

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:12 pm »
AJ,

My pre-amp, Jaton RC2000S, can handle bi-amp outputs.

What do you have in mind?  Appearance is subject to WAF.  (Noticing that your rather large standmount with powered sub already does 30 Hz in room).   :wink:

Currently the speakers would go into audio system #2 (crummy location tight to walls, but room is huge with only casual listening).  Later they would be the speakers in my only system in a future, certainly much smaller room.  I don't want speakers that could get knocked over (your current speakers scare me having had large standmounts tipped over in the past).

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm »
Yes, a $2K price point is tough, most powered speakers are monitors, and 25Hz isn't likely for either an active monitor or floorstander at that price point.

The German ADAM ARTist 6 floorstander is fully active, but LF response is 48Hz.  Coming soon, "Delivery dates will be anounced shortly", and available for preorder w/free shipping for $2K/pair from B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/771269-REG/Adam_Professional_Audio_ARTIST_6_BLACK_ARTist_6_150W_Dual.html

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/multimedia/products/artist-6/description

Steve

Not bad at all Steve, but f3 of 48 Hz is fustrating.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm »
AJ,

Noticing that your rather large standmount
Well, didn't have my speakers in mind (you said floorstanders/fully active) and if you think 17x10x12 is "rather large", that casts a pall on what I'm about to recommend...but here goes :lol:

My pre-amp, Jaton RC2000S, can handle bi-amp outputs.
Currently the speakers would go into audio system #2 (crummy location tight to walls, but room is huge with only casual listening).
What do you have in mind?
http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-10160-tannoy-precision-8d-near-field-studio-monitors-pair-used.aspx +
2 x http://store.audioholics.com/speakers/subwoofers/emp-es1010ib-subwoofer.html. Stacked.
Makes my M1's look small, but acoustically (imaging/soundstage, controlled directivity for narrow room, LF extension, etc, etc.), should meet your goals/budget.

Appearance is subject to WAF.
Yeah, that's the question. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2012, 11:09 am »
Thanks AJ

Didn't know if maybe you had a "skunk works" project sitting around.   :roll:

That would be a nice, meaty pairing.  Have you heard either?  I've heard the Tannoy active monitors are nice (duh) and they "only" go up to 51 kHz?  The Tannoy's look like my Brines Acoustics FTA-2000's, with the vertical oval.   :)

Your M1's look "awkwardly big" on non-substanial stands.  As I elluded to above I had a 4 pound cat knock over 20x10x10 speakers on 12 inch stands.  And the current 4 pound cat in the house loves to jump on top of all my speakers.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2012, 04:54 pm »
The German ADAM ARTist 6 floorstander is fully active, but LF response is 48Hz.  Coming soon, "Delivery dates will be anounced shortly",

I heard a pair of Adam's Home Audio series speakers at CES this year. They were amongst some of the best sound I heard at the show. We sat there for quite a while and just listened to music, with no desire to get up and see another room. If I am ever in the market for powered speakers it will probably be from these guys. Unfortunately they do not have any dealers in the U.S. right now (that's one of the reasons they were at CES - to get dealers) so there could be a bit of a wait. Hopefully they made some contacts while they were here.

It's very tempting to get a pair of these powered monitors and just spend the rest on a tricked out source component and some sort of preamp/volume control center. If it were me I would save more money and get something like this that could serve me in the long run, rather than buy an interim product.

crummy location tight to walls, .........

If you stop to think about it, a location that is tight to the walls is an excellent location for what you're trying to achieve:
-You can get much better bass out of a smaller enclosure,
-You will be less likely to desire a subwoofer
-You will have better visual integration and small-room flexibility because the speakers don't take up the middle of the room,
-The center image will always be strong because you won't be doing the audiophile fantasy image thing,
-The speakers are far less likely to get knocked over by your cat or girlfriend when they are placed within an inch or two against the wall. If they need to be on a stand, buy a heavy stand that is the same width on top and bottom, and use blu-tak between the speaker and stand. This is how I have mine set up and I can push the top of the speaker and it doesn't budge.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2012, 05:29 pm »
At just a little over , street price, these have been getting good reviews.
http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neumann-kh/home_en.nsf/root/prof-monitoring_studio-monitors_nearfield-monitors_O300

Those looked like a too-good-to-be-true bargain at just over JLM's $2K budget to me until I realized the street price was $2200 EACH.

Steve

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:14 pm »
Thanks AJ

Didn't know if maybe you had a "skunk works" project sitting around.   :roll:
Nope. I do mostly passive/active, as the (home audio) marketplace has spoken with regards to full active. I could cobble together anything you desire, just didn't want to turn your thread into a sales pitch. :icon_lol:

That would be a nice, meaty pairing.  Have you heard either?  I've heard the Tannoy active monitors are nice (duh) and they "only" go up to 51 kHz?  The Tannoy's look like my Brines Acoustics FTA-2000's, with the vertical oval.   :)
The Tannoys yes, the EMP's no. I rarely "listen" to subwoofers though. I'm sure it will be fine over it's limited bandpass, room positioning, XO settings, etc. should play a far greater role in the "sound". They sure look good :wink:. Though you may be able to spend substantially less on subs. Not many taller, narrow ones though (that I know of) which can function as stands.
The Tannoys do one thing extremely well - they image in spades. Also (measurably/audibly) ultra smooth on/off axis (may be "unexciting" to some if they prefer coloration?), nice clean mids, dynamic, will play stupid loud, etc, etc. Their only weakness...is bass. Well, you should have that covered with the sub.
I actually demo'd a Floorstander prototype this weekend to the Suncoast Audiophile Society that used a passive version of the Tannoy Precision 8 dual concentric driver. One of the consistent comments were...imaging in spades (not sure if anyone was an AC member, I'll have to ask).

Your M1's look "awkwardly big" on non-substanial stands.  As I elluded to above I had a 4 pound cat knock over 20x10x10 speakers on 12 inch stands.  And the current 4 pound cat in the house loves to jump on top of all my speakers.
Hah, Letitroll thought I had the nicest stands he'd ever seen (at Capfest) :lol:. And having 3(!) cats, I know exactly what you mean.

cheers,

AJ

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2012, 08:50 pm »
Hah, Letitroll thought I had the nicest stands he'd ever seen (at Capfest) :lol:. And having 3(!) cats, I know exactly what you mean.

cheers,

AJ

Hey, don't throw me under the bus.  I only said they were great because they are a model I own.  Best $29.99 stand out there besides cement blocks, but there are much better ones available for more dough.  I use them in the HT for aesthetic reasons only, my GF said they look really nice.  However my cat is a "bush" cat and won't even jump on the couch.  If I had a "tree" cat they would have to be replaced.  (For tree and bush cat definitions watch "My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet)

JLM

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2012, 10:49 am »
QE, yes tight to walls adds bass which would be good for a 10,000 cu. ft. space, but unpredictable in terms of providing a flat frequency response (bass boom).

AJ, yes audiophiles (except for the single driver crowd - by definition) have always avoided active designs and all their inherent advantages (incredible dynamics, flat frequency response, and unbelievably deep/full bass to name a few).  If they did warm up to it, seems to me that it would be "easy" to develop "HT levels" of bass from 2-way floorstanders.

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2012, 11:08 am »
I doubt it, honestly. Speaker drivers are still subject to basic limits, regardless of how the crossover is done.