Run your tubes all day or what?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Run your tubes all day or what?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:51 pm »
I turn my stuff on an hour before listening seriously. I don't presently own tube gear, but I'm awaiting a new valve pre-amp. I never leave anything on unattended. That's just asking for trouble, in my opinion, of course.

Doc

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #21 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:53 pm »
Nice amps. Their sound will greatly improve after the first couple of day. My Samsons continued to improve up until around 500 hours. Not that they sound bad out of the box. They pleasantly blew away my previous amps cold out of the crate.

Congrats and enjoy the ride!

can't wait

I want to quicken the break in period - hence having my tube pre running 24/7 for a while

how did you do  your break in method?

I usually warm up my gear an hour early,
with the Samsons solid states I hear people leave them on 24/7 as they run so cool

Old timer

« Reply #22 on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm »
I bought a $50 Toshiba CD/DVD player and left it on repeat when I wasn't home.

My Samsons and Dude preamp are on 24/7/365. No worries. And they run very cool. :)

Ericus Rex

« Reply #23 on: 27 Feb 2012, 11:32 pm »
I need to break in a TRL Samson solid state mono blocks

I have a Doshi  pre (8 tubes) and was considering running it 24/7 for about a week
with my cd player set in repeat mode

http://doshiaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/doshi_alaap_final.pdf

Tubes 2 mc, 2 mm and 4 main stage  12AX7 (ecc83),  12AT7 (ecc81) ,  12BH7

should I turn it off at all during this time instead?

I think your amps will break-in just fine without music running through them.  You can shut off your CD player and preamp and leave your amps on if you like.  Just turn them off before turning your preamp and sources on.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 28 Feb 2012, 01:10 am »
I need to break in a TRL Samson solid state mono blocks

I have a Doshi  pre (8 tubes) and was considering running it 24/7 for about a week
with my cd player set in repeat mode

http://doshiaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/doshi_alaap_final.pdf

Tubes 2 mc, 2 mm and 4 main stage  12AX7 (ecc83),  12AT7 (ecc81) ,  12BH7

should I turn it off at all during this time instead?
i'd let it run 24/7. my line stage preamp, w/four 6922's, and a single 12ax7 used in the wolume pot circuit, has been run pretty-much 24/7 for >10 years.  when it wasn't being run 24/7, it was still being run >100hrs/week.  last year, i replaced the tubes, yust cuz i thought i should, not because there were any problems... if you want, you probably could pull the fono-stage tubes, but to be honest, it probably isn't even worth bothering about...

doug s.

Old timer

« Reply #25 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:37 am »
I think your amps will break-in just fine without music running through them.  You can shut off your CD player and preamp and leave your amps on if you like.  Just turn them off before turning your preamp and sources on.

FWIW, Paul @ TRL recommends running music through them, 24/7.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 28 Feb 2012, 01:36 pm »
FWIW, Paul @ TRL recommends running music through them, 24/7.
:o

I didn't know this.  He told me about the 24/7 thing not with music playing.   :scratch:

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #27 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:07 pm »
I got a comfirmation from Paul

play music or fm static at any volume

Unit sounded poor out of the crate but much better this morning

can't wait for the first 40 hours

jtwrace - I'm sure yours are broken in nicely, do you have Salk's as well?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:07 pm »
I got a comfirmation from Paul

play music or fm static at any volume

Unit sounded poor out of the crate but much better this morning

can't wait for the first 40 hours
Was this all the time or just out of the box?

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:10 pm »
Paul said for the first 40 hours
to expedite the break in period

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:11 pm »
Paul said for the first 40 hours
to expedite the break in period
Ah ok.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2012, 04:50 pm »
  No way Jose. 24/7 is really not an advantage and dangerous. . The elements and dielectrics need to settle in. The most affective method we have tried so far is 5 hours on and 5  hours off until 100 hours is reached. A royal pain but worth the effort.  All broken in and ready for prime time listening.
  Learned my lesson leaving amp unattended, 211 output blew and melted yes melted the wax in the output trannie. If you are not in the room do not leave your tubed amp on. Thanks to Grant Fidelity and Consonance for putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

charles

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2012, 07:09 pm »
with regard to the TRL
the amp is solid state
break in period using a tube preamp and cd player in repeat mode

Ericus Rex

« Reply #33 on: 29 Feb 2012, 12:01 am »
  No way Jose. 24/7 is really not an advantage and dangerous. . The elements and dielectrics need to settle in. The most affective method we have tried so far is 5 hours on and 5  hours off until 100 hours is reached. A royal pain but worth the effort.  All broken in and ready for prime time listening.
  Learned my lesson leaving amp unattended, 211 output blew and melted yes melted the wax in the output trannie. If you are not in the room do not leave your tubed amp on. Thanks to Grant Fidelity and Consonance for putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

charles

Hi Charles,

Do you feel this way about solid state amps too?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #34 on: 29 Feb 2012, 01:15 am »

charles

Hi Charles,

Do you feel this way about solid state amps too?

first, let me make one thing perfectly clear - i am NOT charles!   :green:

but, i am doug s., and, for me, all my equipment is on 24/7, except yube amps.  tube preamps, sure.

ymmv,

doug s.

Indiansprings

« Reply #35 on: 29 Feb 2012, 12:17 pm »
This is what I run for a pre right now. No off switch. Its got a on/standby switch. Pulls 0.4 Amps at 120V all day long. Only pops up to 0.5A - 0.6A when turned on.

[/quote]

Lord Soth

• I'm an American BadAss!
« Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2012, 01:44 pm »
  No way Jose. 24/7 is really not an advantage and dangerous. . The elements and dielectrics need to settle in. The most affective method we have tried so far is 5 hours on and 5  hours off until 100 hours is reached.

BTW, the 5hrs ON/OFF method is also recommended by Steve from Decware.

I used this method for the Decware CSP2+ tube preamp.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:33 pm »
Hi.
i'd let it run 24/7. my line stage preamp, w/four 6922's, and a single 12ax7 used in the wolume pot circuit, has been run pretty-much 24/7 for >10 years. 

This is what I run for a pre right now. No off switch. Its got a on/standby switch. Pulls 0.4 Amps at 120V all day long. Only pops up to 0.5A - 0.6A when turned on.

Assuming tubes can run forever :cry: & money is no issue to replace them, may I humbly suggest you to save energy to save our mother Earth?

Amen!

c-J

PS: the  Telefunken tubes in my tube phono-preamps are all 50-year-plus old,
      yet I'd treasure them by switching them off after my music session.

bunky

« Reply #38 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:23 pm »
you could probably run a tube preamp 24/7 if it is SS rectified but the types of tubes that i like to run in them are very rare and very expensive.that being the case it is not a very smart thing for me to do.to leave a tube power amp on 24/7 is very dangerous and if something goes wrong with no one around you could lose a tranformer like Charles did or you could cause a fire  :duh:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #39 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:17 pm »
Hi.
Assuming tubes can run forever :cry: & money is no issue to replace them, may I humbly suggest you to save energy to save our mother Earth?

Amen!

c-J

PS: the  Telefunken tubes in my tube phono-preamps are all 50-year-plus old,
      yet I'd treasure them by switching them off after my music session.

considering my stereo is in use a minimum of 120hrs/week, and many times it's in use 24/7, i don't worry about saving energy to save mother earth.  i guess i could simply leave it off completely, turn the heat down to 50 in the winter, and up to 90 in the summer, and give up my car, etc...  as it is, i think i done good by giving up my 3.0 alfa gtv6 as a daily driver, (~20mpg), and switching out to a gen-1 scion xb, (~30mpg).

regarding tube wear, depending on how often you turn on/of your equipment, if your equipment does not have a built-in soft-start feature, you may actually get longer life by leaving your equipment on.

ymmv,

doug s.