X-Omni sale!

emac

Re: X-Omni sale!
« Reply #60 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:20 pm »
So how do the N3 and O3 compare?  We don't get a lot of feedback about the O3.

Somewhat different beasts, and I haven't heard the N3's so I can't do a direct comparison.  But on a whim, I picked up a pair of Danny's Diluceo's from Audiogon, and I did a direct comparison of those to my O-3's in my living room, so I can compare those.  Before I go further, it is worth mentioning a couple of things.  First, the O-3's have Sonicap Platinums installed and the Diluceo's do not, so perhaps it isn't an ideal comparison.  Also, to keep things fair, I crossed both the O-3's and the Diluceo's over at 50Hz to Sandbagger's Big Block upgraded UFW-12 (which now has a 15" driver).  And finally, I have a larger living room where I can get the O-3's at least 3 feet off of any wall and had 10 foot high ceilings.  So, the room is well suited for the O-3's. 

To me, it was like comparing apples and oranges.  The Diluceo's had a higher level of detail basically across the board.  Cymbals were crisper and I heard detail in beats that I hadn't heard before.  Pretty impressive.  The sound wasn't as smooth as what I'm used to with my O-3's, and that I attribute to the lack of Sonicap Platinums, which are very musical, so I'm not going to count that against the Diluceo's.  However, I didn't feel that the Diluceo's, for as nice and realistic as they are, could compare to the O-3's in my room.  The Diluceo's had a defined sweet spot.  Not that it was particularly narrow or anything, but it's obvious when you switch from the O-3's which sound good basically anywhere in the room.  Also, the Diluceo's lost the width/height and the depth of the soundstage.  Again, not that the Diluceo's were bad or anything.  I've heard much worse in that room (e.g. my Strata Mini's).  But they were traditional speakers, and the O-3's are ideal for filling up my living room.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I have compared the Diluceo's to my Ninja Modded (w/ Platinum bypasses) Strata Mini's in my listening room.  Found the same improvement in the level of detail but also the same lack of smoothness (which is probably a rectifiable problem).  My main problem though was the the Mini's obviously went deeper into the bass range, which is something that is very important to me since I listen primarily to electronic music.  So, the Diluceo's were probably the better speaker overall, though I wouldn't switch to them unless I had a sub to add.  Then, they would probably be ideal.   

cujobob

« Reply #61 on: 3 Jun 2012, 06:46 pm »
Those omni cabinets do look very cool in the clear birch ply, reminds me of the old white shadow maple from back in the day.

Danny, maybe this is a stupid question.  Considering that this design is proven to be a bang-for-the-buck overachiever, and the new "x-pro" designs you are working on are building off this tweeter, any thoughts to an updated version of  this design using the tweeter in the new waveguide and one of your new high-end 6.5-inch drivers on top?  Maybe even without the waveguide, but just the new driver on top, kind of as a "drop-in" upgrade with new crossovers?

Building on this, I wonder how low one would need to cross the tweeter where you wouldn't lose any details through this model of speaker. Im curious if using a tweeter w/ waveguide would allow the woofer to work in a less critical range and increase the resolution.

If anyone has any easy tweaks/mods for AV123 built x omnis feel free to throw them out there.  :D

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #62 on: 3 Jun 2012, 06:59 pm »
Anyone know how the pegs come out?

If you mean the pegs into which the grills are screwed, the ones on the x-ls are threaded and so can be unscrewed  using pliers and something in between to protect the finish.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #63 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:02 pm »
emac, thanks for the reply but you know, now I have to ask how the N3s compare to the Diluceos :D

emac

« Reply #64 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:24 pm »
emac, thanks for the reply but you know, now I have to ask how the N3s compare to the Diluceos :D

Danny's probably one of the few people who would know, but my guess is that they are at least comparable overall.  The Diluceo's used high quality parts throughout and it shows. 

emac

« Reply #65 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:27 pm »
Building on this, I wonder how low one would need to cross the tweeter where you wouldn't lose any details through this model of speaker. Im curious if using a tweeter w/ waveguide would allow the woofer to work in a less critical range and increase the resolution.

If anyone has any easy tweaks/mods for AV123 built x omnis feel free to throw them out there.  :D

Be interested in this too.  I have a pair of Omni's sitting around and if the addition of a waveguide would help, that would be interesting. 

As for tweaks, Ninja mods do make a difference.  I can switch between the stock X-over and the Ninja X-over, and there's a definite difference.

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 3 Jun 2012, 08:24 pm »
Danny, maybe this is a stupid question.  Considering that this design is proven to be a bang-for-the-buck overachiever, and the new "x-pro" designs you are working on are building off this tweeter, any thoughts to an updated version of  this design using the tweeter in the new waveguide and one of your new high-end 6.5-inch drivers on top?  Maybe even without the waveguide, but just the new driver on top, kind of as a "drop-in" upgrade with new crossovers?

I'll keep these design ideas an mind and might give something like this a shot with the new drivers.

edoggrc51

« Reply #67 on: 25 Nov 2012, 01:32 am »
Hi Danny, this might be a long shot but do you have any of these X-Omni's left?

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 25 Nov 2012, 02:04 am »
Hi Danny, this might be a long shot but do you have any of these X-Omni's left?

Nope, they are gone.

edoggrc51

« Reply #69 on: 25 Nov 2012, 02:23 am »
Thanks for checking. :)

Wigand

« Reply #70 on: 3 May 2020, 07:17 pm »
Nope, they are gone.

So I read up on some of your speakers now; the Xomni seem the best fit. Do you still soll them as the Kit. I would favorisiert them over the avo die to the Bretter tweeter. Thanks

Wigand

« Reply #71 on: 3 May 2020, 07:18 pm »
Of can I just Order the xls and Build them in the xomni box with the Same Crossover ?

Skilly

« Reply #72 on: 3 May 2020, 08:33 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:21 pm by Skilly »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 3 May 2020, 09:09 pm »

So I read up on some of your speakers now; the Xomni seem the best fit. Do you still soll them as the Kit. I would favorisiert them over the avo die to the Bretter tweeter. Thanks

The X-Omni is available. Give Danny a call

Wigand

« Reply #74 on: 4 May 2020, 11:02 am »

Wankes to gofor the xstatik First but i think the omni are a easier Start into DIY

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 4 May 2020, 01:27 pm »

Wankes to gofor the xstatik First but i think the omni are a easier Start into DIY

The X-Omnis were actually designed to be the surround channels for the X-Statix/X-Voce front end. It turned out they made great main speakers also. If you start with the X-Omni, when you do build the X-Statik, move the Omnis to surrounds. This way you haven't lost anything.

Doublej

« Reply #76 on: 4 May 2020, 02:01 pm »
The X-Statik looks easier to build than the O-3 (x-omni). The X-Statik crossover is pre-assembled whereas one has to assemble the crossover for the O-3. The cabinet construction of the X-Statik appears to be only slightly more work with one angled cut and a double thickness baffle but I know squat about cabinet making.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 4 May 2020, 02:59 pm »
The X-Statik looks easier to build than the O-3 (x-omni). The X-Statik crossover is pre-assembled whereas one has to assemble the crossover for the O-3. The cabinet construction of the X-Statik appears to be only slightly more work with one angled cut and a double thickness baffle but I know squat about cabinet making.

While similar, the O-3 and X-Omni are different speakers. The X-Omni has one M165 woofer and the Peerless soft dome tweeter while the O-3 has two M130 woofers and the Neo3 tweeter.

Captainhemo

« Reply #78 on: 4 May 2020, 03:24 pm »
And, I believe the  Neo3 PDR    used a deep back  cup which   jmay be hard to find  right   now.

jay

huskerfan73

« Reply #79 on: 5 May 2020, 03:23 am »
So reading through the older parts of the thread have me intrigued. The statements about the X-Omni being better than the X-LS Encore are also interesting as I'm considering building the Encores. How is the X-Omni different than the A/V-O? And am I correct in assuming the X-Omni or A/V-O would need as much breathing room as say the X-Statik?