BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Divice
« Reply #40 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:45 pm »
I just received my kit to upgrade the BDP-2 with the new card.  But...no instructions!  Can anyone help?

Email me - jamestanner@bryston.com

dgarratt

« Reply #41 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:39 am »
Hi Guys,

Have any of you done a comparison between the new AES/EBU interface vs the USB interface to the BDA2?

I'd be very interested to hear your opinions.

mv

« Reply #42 on: 11 Jul 2015, 03:24 am »
Hi Guys,

Have any of you done a comparison between the new AES/EBU interface vs the USB interface to the BDA2?

I'd be very interested to hear your opinions.

I have a different DAC, actually an integrated amp (Devialet 400).

Just received a new BDP-2 with the new sound card today.

As mentioned before, the AES/EBU output can stream DSD64.
(Not sure about DSD128, because my integrated amp does not support that yet.)

My comparison of the AES/EBU output and USB output, using very expensive cables from Kubala Sosna,
is that the quality of the AES/EBU is much better.

Of course, the BDP-2 needs to fully break in, and so I will listen critically again in 10 days.

mv

« Reply #43 on: 11 Jul 2015, 03:26 am »
Just a comment that the BDP-2 with the new sound card really shines on cello music.

The Bach Cello Suites (Linn Records) in 192/24 is amazing!

The sound is much improved compared to my BDP-1 (which had the same sound card as the original BDP-2).

I need to re-listen to all my recordings.

Truly impressed so far.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 12 Jul 2015, 10:54 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston IAD Sound Card TEST

July 2015

Hi James

We tested your new Bryston ‘Integrated Audio Device’ in our BDP-2 digital player against the old card on our ‘Cowboy Junkies Mastering Project.’

E ROOM MASTERING

The exact same Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions file played out via AES/EBU of the original BDP-2 audio card into the BDA-2 D/A Converter with up sampling on. This was then recorded ‘analogue’ at 176.4khz_24bit using the DAD (Digital Audio Denmark) AX24.

We then replaced the old sound card with the Bryston IAD and the exact procedure was repeated. The 2 files are aligned and phased match on parallel tracks and played, switching A & B between the two.

No Contest, empirically proven, Night and Day Difference. As if a wool sweater has been removed!!

The High frequency definition is outstanding, in fact, it is scary how rolled off the old card top end was. Slight improvement in bass transients. Sound stage was much more stable. Less sibilance on voice. Upper midrange was more open. Depth perception much deeper and wider (better resolution of high frequency reverb reflections)

Congrats James                     

Yours Truly
Peter J. Moore
President

E-mail: info@peterjmoore.com
Web: http://eroommastering.com

mv

« Reply #45 on: 12 Jul 2015, 05:51 pm »
James:

The new sound card can stream DSD64 through the AES/EBU output.

Can it also stream DSD128 through the AES/EBU?
How about DSD256?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 12 Jul 2015, 06:34 pm »
James:

The new sound card can stream DSD64 through the AES/EBU output.

Can it also stream DSD128 through the AES/EBU?
How about DSD256?

No DSD is not legal through AES and I am not sure why some DACs are allowing it with the BDP-2 and the new soundcard. I am wondering if the DAC is changing the bitstream to PCM on its input?

james

mv

« Reply #47 on: 13 Jul 2015, 04:57 am »
No DSD is not legal through AES and I am not sure why some DACs are allowing it with the BDP-2 and the new soundcard. I am wondering if the DAC is changing the bitstream to PCM on its input?

james

BTW, can the BDP-2 stream PCM at 352kHz/24bit?

Wouldn't you need this capability for the BDA-3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 13 Jul 2015, 10:11 am »
BTW, can the BDP-2 stream PCM at 352kHz/24bit?

Wouldn't you need this capability for the BDA-3?

Yes it can do that - not that there is any material to speak of.

james

mv

« Reply #49 on: 13 Jul 2015, 10:38 am »
Yes it can do that - not that there is any material to speak of.

james

Actually, hdtracks, acousticsounds, and others do sell albums in this format.

How about DSD256: can it stream that through USB and AES/EBU?
Again, there are albums in this format.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 13 Jul 2015, 10:48 am »
Actually, hdtracks, acousticsounds, and others do sell albums in this format.

How about DSD256: can it stream that through USB and AES/EBU?
Again, there are albums in this format.

HI MV

NO DSD is not legal through AES.  Yes 128 is available through USB. Also I realize there is some material available but it is not common and I feel that some of this is just 'spec-man-ship" it does not mean you automatically get a  better recording.

james

mv

« Reply #51 on: 13 Jul 2015, 10:52 am »
HI MV

NO DSD is not legal through AES.  Yes 128 is available through USB. Also I realize there is some material available but it is not common and I feel that some of this is just 'spec-man-ship" it does not mean you automatically get a  better recording.

james

But integrated amps support DSD through AES/EBU, and evaluators (e.g. at positivefeedback, I think) seem to like DSD256.

The Spirit of Turtle and other offer DSD256.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 13 Jul 2015, 11:11 am »
But integrated amps support DSD through AES/EBU, and evaluators (e.g. at positivefeedback, I think) seem to like DSD256.

The Spirit of Turtle and other offer DSD256.

HI

Yes I am aware of the integrated amps but I wonder if they are changing the input to PCM in order to get around the legal issues - not sure on that - just know we can not access the native DSD file due to Sony ownership?  It will be interesting to see where all this ends up. 

I am all in favour of better recordings and we will certainly add software to our products to be able to take advantage of these new technologies as they develop but the music software available will certainly determine the success or failure moving forward. Our new BDA3 DAC has all these different bit rates available and the BDP-2 will evolve in that direction as well if the market plays out.

james

mv

« Reply #53 on: 13 Jul 2015, 11:19 am »
HI

Yes I am aware of the integrated amps but I wonder if they are changing the input to PCM in order to get around the legal issues - not sure on that - just know we can not access the native DSD file due to Sony ownership?  It will be interesting to see where all this ends up. 

I am all in favour of better recordings and we will certainly add software to our products to be able to take advantage of these new technologies as they develop but the music software available will certainly determine the success or failure moving forward. Our new BDA3 DAC has all these different bit rates available and the BDP-2 will evolve in that direction as well if the market plays out.

james

The market is definitely there and headed in that direction.

You must be keeping track of how many of your competitors are including such functionality, and how their
number increases every couple of months.

So, Bryston might as well adopt a proactive approach and be among the leaders!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 13 Jul 2015, 11:58 am »
The market is definitely there and headed in that direction.

You must be keeping track of how many of your competitors are including such functionality, and how their
number increases every couple of months.

So, Bryston might as well adopt a proactive approach and be among the leaders!

Hi MV

We will certainly watch it but many times in this industry new so call advancements are announced that do not materialize for various reasons.

james

mv

« Reply #55 on: 13 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm »
Hi MV

We will certainly watch it but many times in this industry new so call advancements are announced that do not materialize for various reasons.

james

The Spirit of Turtle has some excellent recordings,
many of which are available as DSD256, and other formats.

You should check them out.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 13 Jul 2015, 12:19 pm »
The Spirit of Turtle has some excellent recordings,
many of which are available as DSD256, and other formats.

You should check them out.

Hi MV - yes thanks I have some and have some Blue Coast as well as 2L - trying to acquirer as many as possible for testing the new DAC.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 13 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm »
NEWS

Bryston BDP-2 Upgrade

By Michael Lavorgna • Posted: Jun 1, 2015

While I typically don't regurgitate press releases, I do enjoy hearing about improvements to existing products that deliver sonic rewards. From the Bryston Integrated Audio Device (IAD) press release:
“There were several important factors that led us to develop the IAD,” reported Bryston VP James Tanner. “We were confident that by eliminating three connection points, hand selecting and testing all of the components and shifting to our meticulous in-house manufacturing that we could improve transient capability while enhancing low resolution detail,” Tanner added. The Bryston IAD is also directly powered by the BDP-2’s premium quality linear power supply rather than by a power source shared with the motherboard.

I was very impressed with the BDP-2 when I reviewed it back in September 2014 (see review - http://www.audiostream.com/content/bryston-bda-2-and-bdp-2#fHS7bkHSJAoq38k9.97 )- so even greater low level resolution stikes me as something I didn't think needed improving. The Bryston sound has always struck me as being concerned with diggin' out the details.

The new IAD delivers improved specifications and replaces the current two-piece third-party sound card and SPDIF interface module (AES/BNC) utilized in the BDP-2. All new BDP-2 players are currently shipping with the new IAD installed, and legacy BDP-2 consumers have an option to retrofit to the new device for an MSRP of $500. IAD upgrades will be managed at the Bryston factory until dealers and international distributors have been trained to properly install the new module.

If I was a BDP-2 owner I'd be taking a serious look at the new Bryston IAD module and if I was interested in thinking about what kind of things make a difference, I'd be, and am, intrigued.

mv

« Reply #58 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:30 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston IAD Sound Card TEST

July 2015

Hi James

We tested your new Bryston ‘Integrated Audio Device’ in our BDP-2 digital player against the old card on our ‘Cowboy Junkies Mastering Project.’

E ROOM MASTERING

The exact same Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions file played out via AES/EBU of the original BDP-2 audio card into the BDA-2 D/A Converter with up sampling on. This was then recorded ‘analogue’ at 176.4khz_24bit using the DAD (Digital Audio Denmark) AX24.

We then replaced the old sound card with the Bryston IAD and the exact procedure was repeated. The 2 files are aligned and phased match on parallel tracks and played, switching A & B between the two.

No Contest, empirically proven, Night and Day Difference. As if a wool sweater has been removed!!

The High frequency definition is outstanding, in fact, it is scary how rolled off the old card top end was. Slight improvement in bass transients. Sound stage was much more stable. Less sibilance on voice. Upper midrange was more open. Depth perception much deeper and wider (better resolution of high frequency reverb reflections)

Congrats James                     

Yours Truly
Peter J. Moore
President

E-mail: info@peterjmoore.com
Web: http://eroommastering.com

Did they burn in the new sound card and for how many hours before this experiment?

There is definitely a change in the sound quality as the new card gets used for many hours.
Mine has not yet reached 200, and so I will not judge critically until then.

dgarratt

« Reply #59 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:37 am »
HI MV

james

+1