BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device
« on: 22 Jun 2015, 01:52 pm »
Bryston BDP-2 soundcard upgrade Bryston Audio Device replacing Juli brought significant improvements in the sound - image density, lower noisefloor, good overall bandwidth reproduction including an excellent low frequency delineation, very stable dynamic swing that gives equally stable & palpable soundstaging!

Superb job by Bryston!!

Joseph Ki Cheong Ming

Old Card

New Bryston Card
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2015, 12:56 pm by James Tanner »

bjski

Re: BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Divice
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:23 am »
Getting ready to install mine.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:29 am »
Getting ready to install mine.

Awaiting your thoughts.

R. Daneel

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:28 pm »
Awaiting your thoughts.

Hi James!

How come you're upgrading the internal sound-card? From my understanding, the existing card is an ESI Juli@ which means it uses a VIA Envy24 chipset and as such, it a superb piece of audio hardware. I remember a Stereophile review from years back when Juli@ was stated to have the cleanest S/PDIF square-wave trace on the oscilloscope.

Can you please shed some light on this?

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:35 pm »
One other thing - the website states all new BDP-2 players will be equipped with the new device. My question is - can the same upgrade be done to the BDP-1 (the original one with conventional XLR and BNC digital outputs)?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:45 pm »
One other thing - the website states all new BDP-2 players will be equipped with the new device. My question is - can the same upgrade be done to the BDP-1 (the original one with conventional XLR and BNC digital outputs)?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

No sorry the BDP-1 will not take the new Bryston integrated audio device only the BDP-2.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:47 pm »
Hi James!

How come you're upgrading the internal sound-card? From my understanding, the existing card is an ESI Juli@ which means it uses a VIA Envy24 chipset and as such, it a superb piece of audio hardware. I remember a Stereophile review from years back when Juli@ was stated to have the cleanest S/PDIF square-wave trace on the oscilloscope.

Can you please shed some light on this?

Cheers!
Antun

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Announcing Bryston Integrated Audio Device Card

May, 2015

Hi Folks,

We have been working on a Bryston proprietary “Integrated Audio Device” card with much improved specifications to replace the current two-piece ‘Soundcard’ and ‘SPDIF interface module’ (AES/BNC) utilized in our current BDP-2 Digital Player.

I am happy to report that an all new integrated version of the BDP-2 audio card is now going into production and should be available in a few weeks from now.
All BDP-2’s currently on order will be fitted with the new Bryston integrated audio card.

BENEFITS:

•   No reliance on the quality level of third party products or having to modify said products

•   Improve the performance by hand selecting and testing all the components in house

•   Eliminates 3 connection points

•   Integrates the output module and the sound processing section into one circuit instead of two.

•   The Bryston audio device is directly powered by the high quality linear power supply rather than the motherboard.

Any current BDP-2 owners may have their units upgraded if desired.

James Tanner
Bryston

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:53 pm »
Edited.

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:55 pm »
Hi Antun

No sorry the BDP-1 will not take the new Bryston integrated audio device only the BDP-2.

james

Are there mechanical or electrical reasons for that? Or both?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:59 pm »
Are there mechanical or electrical reasons for that? Or both?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

A number of issues -  mechanically will not fit , electrical connectivity issue and a power issue to drive the new board.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2015, 05:04 pm »
Hi Antun

A number of issues -  mechanically will not fit , electrical connectivity issue and a power issue to drive the new board.

james

Thank you for the info James!

Cheers!
Antun

bjski

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:40 pm »

I just installed the new card. The installation takes about an hour maybe less if you done it before. My biggest problem was not having 15 torx driver. Needed to take a trip to home depot. I spent more time taking my system apart and putting it back together than installing the card.

The card from the brief listening session get it. The bass wow. I didn't think the BDP-2 could get any better but it does. The high and subtleties just jump out at you. the background is darker. A+

bjski

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2015, 10:42 pm »
I have yet to listen to the BOT with the new card but I only suspect it sounds significantly better than the BDC-1.

brystoned

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2015, 02:57 am »
is there a blue LED on the new audio card ?

ed

bjski

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2015, 03:21 am »
No

R. Daneel

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2015, 06:40 am »
James, considering that the new IAD is based on the BUC-1, would it be logical to assume that BUC-1 pffers better performance than the internal sound-card in the BDP-1/2 and that adding the BUC-1 to the BDP-1/2 would therefore improve audio quality?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2015, 09:36 am »
James, considering that the new IAD is based on the BUC-1, would it be logical to assume that BUC-1 pffers better performance than the internal sound-card in the BDP-1/2 and that adding the BUC-1 to the BDP-1/2 would therefore improve audio quality?

Cheers!
Antun

Its an option but integrating it directly into the BDP 2 has advantages.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2015, 10:16 am »
I have yet to listen to the BOT with the new card but I only suspect it sounds significantly better than the BDC-1.

Hi biski

Yes please let me know what you think - there has always been this controversy about CD Players vs Ripped files and also in the case of the BOT-1 when you listen to a CD you are using the buffer section and electronics of the BDP-2.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2015, 11:01 am »
Its an option but integrating it directly into the BDP 2 has advantages.

james

Hi James!

I was thinking about adding BUC-1 to the BDP-1? Would this have any advantages?

I am just curious. Like I said many times, I doubt there are reasons to improve upon the performance of the BDP-1.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2015, 11:50 am »
Hi James!

I was thinking about adding BUC-1 to the BDP-1? Would this have any advantages?

I am just curious. Like I said many times, I doubt there are reasons to improve upon the performance of the BDP-1.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi

I think the only reason to use the BUC 1 is if you are using a Laptop or Computer to manage and store your files.  The USB input on the BUC 1 is ASYNC so it bypasses all the computer issues with handling music files and the quality is controlled by the BUC-1 rather than the computer.  The computer just functions as your file management system. With the BDP-1 you already have a dedicated and optimized computer front end.

james