Dspeaker Dual Core review

JohnR

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #100 on: 6 Nov 2012, 01:46 am »
And there is a capable and transparent DAC that can handle up to 24/96 tracks.

I had issues with the optical input in that it wouldn't play 96K material, the 44K was fine.

I'm wondering about this. Doesn't the Dual Core convert everything to 48 kHz for its internal processing?

wisnon

« Reply #101 on: 6 Nov 2012, 05:35 pm »
no, it converts to 40 bit/6100khz or 6.1mhz.

roscoeiii

« Reply #102 on: 6 Nov 2012, 05:46 pm »
no, it converts to 40 bit/6100khz or 6.1mhz.

Not a spec I have seen previously in DACs. Usually it seems to be 16/44.1, 24/96, or 24/192. And for the Antelope DACs and others, I have seen mention of 64 bits and 384 kHz capability.

Curious that the DSPeaker does not follow along these common multiples of doubling kHZ.

JohnR

« Reply #103 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:23 pm »
6.144 MHz is 128 x 48 kHz, that's the oversampling rate on the DAC, not the internal processing rate. Given that the TOSLINK output is at 48 kHz, it seems most likely that that's the internal processing rate. wisnon, can you ask them?

wisnon

« Reply #104 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
Not a spec I have seen previously in DACs. Usually it seems to be 16/44.1, 24/96, or 24/192. And for the Antelope DACs and others, I have seen mention of 64 bits and 384 kHz capability.

Curious that the DSPeaker does not follow along these common multiples of doubling kHZ.
Nad M51 uses 35bit/768khz.

wisnon

« Reply #105 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:38 pm »
6.144 MHz is 128 x 48 kHz, that's the oversampling rate on the DAC, not the internal processing rate. Given that the TOSLINK output is at 48 kHz, it seems most likely that that's the internal processing rate. wisnon, can you ask them?

Yes, I will ask, but I think with a recent firmware update the Toslink does 96khz output.

From the tweekgeek.com site:
DSpeaker Dual Core - Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core

What is the sampling frequency on S/PDIF, analog and USB?
The S/PDIF receiver supports the standard PCM rates 32kHz/44.1kHz/48kHz plus 96kHz with upto 24 bits, whatever comes from the source. The S/PDIF receiver can also be configured to support 192kHz. We are not sure if 192kHz will be enabled in the first firmware version.
Analog input rate is by default 48kHz.
Technically, USB Audio supports several configurations from 44.1kHz/32-bit through 192kHz/16-bit. The most useful rates will be provided, the default is 44.1kHz/48kHz with 24 bits.
The audio processing is performed in 32-bit domain, so 24-bit with 48kHz rate is optimal.
What USB version does the USB DAC mode support?
The hardware is USB 1.3 (Full Speed), several USB Audio configurations can be supported. The default is 24-bit 44.1kHz/48kHz
=============================

They also told me on the phone that USB reception will be upgraded in future firmware iterations so that very hi-rez files can at least be played back. However, they did say that it wont SOUND better, given that their DAC process will still use local clocking and still upsample everything to 6.1mhz.
=============================

The guys from Dspeaker are very responsive.
Q&A from Dspeaker:

What are the current max sample rates accepted into the USB and Toslink digital input channels? I was under the impression that Toslink was 24/96 and that USB was 24/48 and that possibly in a future firmware update, USB can go up to 24/192.
Currently the Toslink can go 24/96 (latest firmware) and USB 48/24.

Am I correct here? I hope so because I have at least 20 hi-rez albums of 176khz and higher that I wont be able to play otherwise from my laptop.

You should be able to play them, as USB should be able to send the data in 48/24. Also the ADC of the AM2DC is 192kHz, so you could also use analog input if nothing else works.

Please let me know the current status and future upgrade plans in the works.

Yes we will. We'll announce any new firmware features on our website, so stay tuned.

Any plans to allow Toslink and USB input to accept 24/192? I have a lot of hires albums and can make more from my SACDs.

It is difficult to say yet about 24/192 as we are still planning the 24/96. However, the analog input already is 192kHz and USB should be able to feed the data in 24/48 format. With 6.144MHz reclocking, 24/48 is essentially as good as 24/192 as there is no jitter (which is more relevant than the ultrasonics).

wisnon

« Reply #106 on: 6 Nov 2012, 11:52 pm »
The internal architecture of the Dual Core centers around the VLSI parent company's VS8053 IceDragon chip, which handles analogue in/outputs, ADC/DAC conversion and all DSP processing on one chip. A separate VS1000 handles the GUI and the USB interface. All processing is 40bit with 6.144mHz oversampling on the ADC and DAC. The Antimode Room EQ uses a combination of Finite and Infinte Impulse Response filters, the exact number and implimentation of which, DSpeaker stays tight lipped about. This is, after all, their core technolgy. A point worth noting is that the VS8053 can only handle license free digital codecs, which means WAV (PCM & IMA ADPCM), Flac and Ogg Vorbis.

JohnR

« Reply #107 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:01 am »
Several items in your quote suggest again that the internal sample rate is 48 kHz e.g. "Analog input rate is by default 48kHz" and "24-bit with 48kHz rate is optimal". Firmware updates can't really change that, at least not without some other compromise, as the DSP only has a specific amount of computational power, if the internal sample rate is doubled then the processing per sample is halved.

I'm not saying it's a problem, it's something fairly fundamental to these DSP-based units. If someone who had one could measure the frequency response, that would pretty much tell.

wisnon

« Reply #108 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:21 am »
Could very well be...

Rclark

« Reply #109 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:22 am »
For me, all this is fine and dandy, as I'll be spinning cd's, and won't initially be bothered by sampling rates. I'm still locked on this as my next imminent purchase.

My Ncores have significantly disrupted the integration I had with my Maggies, I've had to drop the crossover down on the sub quite a bit, and while it's balanced now, I liked the midbassy punch the Legend was delivering when combined with my hipassed Virtue amp. The integration was so good that at my listening position I couldn't tell where the speakers ended and the sub began. It's still integrated, but now the speakers are doing more of the lower bass, and of course, it's not as punchy as the sub (despite being of exquisite quality). However, the Ncores are gobsmackingly better than my old amp, so I can live with this issue for now until I get the Dual Core.

I'm hoping I can use this device to hipass my speakers a bit, cut off anything below 80hz and bring my sub back up, and have a pair of the subs, one near each speaker. I think, combined with the correction ability of the unit, and some treatments, it will be devastatingly good, Having cake and eating it too, an excells-at-all-types-of-music situation.

Anyway, carry on.

JohnR

« Reply #110 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:50 am »
I'm hoping I can use this device to hipass my speakers a bit, cut off anything below 80hz

I don't have one, but I don't think it does that (assuming you want the sub to be in the correction loop). A highpass passive filter in front of the NCores might be your best bet - that's what you had with the Virtue, I believe.

ryno

« Reply #111 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:55 am »
It's hard to tell by the manual, but it kind of looks like it can do high pass out the xlr, and low pass out RCA, all eq'ed.

medium jim

« Reply #112 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:55 am »
Rclark:

If you liked the integration before the Ncores, all that was really required was adjusting the gain on your subwoofer to match the output  of your Magnepan's. 

Having said that, you can leave the sub at whatever cutoff point as before.

Jim

ryno

« Reply #113 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:02 am »
Maybe you can't use the xovers with a 2.2 system. In the connection guide, http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technology/anti-mode-technology/anti-mode-20-dual-core-connection-examples.shtml
Under 2.2, it says you must use your subs xover, not the built in's. probably means you can't use the high pass either.

medium jim

« Reply #114 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:16 am »
What JohnR noted, high pass from the Ncores.  Rclark, again, if you liked the way your system sounded with the Virtues, do the high pass as per JohnR and merely adjust the gain to match the output of your Maggie's.

Don't over think it, keep it simple!

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #115 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:33 am »
Rclark:

If you liked the integration before the Ncores, all that was really required was adjusting the gain on your subwoofer to match the output  of your Magnepan's. 

Having said that, you can leave the sub at whatever cutoff point as before.

Jim

thanks Jim, I will try that later on tonight.

rodge827

« Reply #116 on: 7 Nov 2012, 02:28 am »
Maybe you can't use the xovers with a 2.2 system. In the connection guide, http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technology/anti-mode-technology/anti-mode-20-dual-core-connection-examples.shtml
Under 2.2, it says you must use your subs xover, not the built in's. probably means you can't use the high pass either.
Ryno,
No you can't use the High Pass/Low Pass feature for a 2.2 set up, it's one or the other.
I found this out when I tried to do exactly as you suggested. With High Pass it was monitors only and Low Pass was subs only.
On the back of the Dual Core there is a Data Link port. In the future you might be able to buy a second Dual Core to connect them to each other via an umbilical cord. The Dual Cores will be able to "talk" to each other and you will then be able to use them as a 2 way electronic crossover.
As explained to me by Tim Ryan. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #117 on: 7 Nov 2012, 02:32 am »
But could you treat the dual subs as a single sub by using a splitter?

rodge827

« Reply #118 on: 7 Nov 2012, 02:38 am »
Perhaps you can...never thought to try that.  :scratch:

Anyone out there with a 2.2 system wants to try this, please do.

I'm without a system at the moment courtesy of Sandy!  :evil:

Rclark

« Reply #119 on: 7 Nov 2012, 03:27 am »
But could you treat the dual subs as a single sub by using a splitter?

I emailed them about this, as far as having 2 speakers and 4 subs. Yes, split it.