Who do you like on trumpet?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Who do you like on trumpet?
« Reply #160 on: 24 Nov 2012, 08:44 pm »
Thanks for the bump!

I've got Chris Botti on Bluray, and it's my "go to" disc for music/video.

Regarding "who I like"....wow.....That's asking to choose which one of my children I like the most.  :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #161 on: 24 Nov 2012, 09:56 pm »
Hubbard, Dorham, Davis, Shaw, Mitchell, Cherry, and those I am forgetting.

Wasatch

« Reply #162 on: 24 Nov 2012, 09:57 pm »
Number One for me: Miles Davis.

rockadanny

« Reply #163 on: 25 Nov 2012, 06:42 pm »
1. Clifford Brown
2. Miles
3. Freddie Hubbard
2nd to Last. Guy on F Troupe.
Last. Winton Marsallis.

richidoo

« Reply #164 on: 25 Nov 2012, 08:11 pm »
Eric Miyashiro, Maynard Ferguson, Arturo Sandoval, and, of course, Brownie.

I went to Berklee with Eric and played in a few bands with him. Even at age 19 he was already an awesome player, could play anything, unbelievable reading and a kind supportive person to me when I was wee freshman. Another jazz star from that 83 Berklee trumpet section is Greg Gisbert, soloist with Buddy and Maria Schneider.

I have been listening to Mulligan's original Tentette recording (on Capitol) this week, I think it contains Baker's finest playing. That's the magic that won the readers' polls for him over Brownie and Dizzy 54. Short solos but they are pure genius and with Mulligan orchestration behind him it still gives me chills, 40 years after my first hearing. He and Clifford made me want to play trumpet when I was young. I copied their solos and learned how to play bebop the hard way, like they did. Baker was Freddie's biggest early influence too.  I saw Baker a few times, finally at a small club in '81 where I chatted with him on stage as he put his horn away, and got his autograph: "Rich, you picked a hard way to go. Good Luck, Chet Baker."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #165 on: 26 Nov 2012, 02:15 am »
Last. Winton Marsallis.
:o Oh my God!

Have you heard the song "Feeling of Jazz"?
That's one of the most awesome jazz songs.....ever.
Wow. I'd love to have you over and play you a couple "good ones". The next one that comes to mind is "You're Blase", or "Glad to be Unhappy"?
You sure you've heard a proper sampling of his music? There's a LOT of good stuff, but there is some wierd things too.

Bob

blutto

« Reply #166 on: 26 Nov 2012, 02:44 am »
 Fats Navarro, Louis Armstrong

Cheers

blutto
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2012, 04:54 am by blutto »

rockadanny

« Reply #167 on: 26 Nov 2012, 10:10 pm »
Bob, I Don't know if I've heard those tracks.
Granted, my opinion of him is completely biased. He seems to be a superbly talented player, yet the 3 CDs I've purchased (and since dumped) have him noodling around on the songs way too much. I would find myself yelling at him, "just play the freaking song!" So I'm not an expert on him by any means. I will check out those tracks you suggested and MAY give him one last shot.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #168 on: 26 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm »
Please give him another shot. Although, he does noodle a bit in two of them I recommended. Try the "Feeling of Jazz". It's a noodle free song.
I know exactly what you mean though. I didn't like Miles Davis for the amount of noodling he does too. I've just recently been starting to spend some time listing to him and am starting to appreciate him.
If you'd like, I'll find some good (noodle free) songs for you.
His Brother Branford plays very well too.

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #169 on: 26 Nov 2012, 11:49 pm »
:o Oh my God!

Have you heard the song "Feeling of Jazz"?
That's one of the most awesome jazz songs.....ever.
Wow. I'd love to have you over and play you a couple "good ones". The next one that comes to mind is "You're Blase", or "Glad to be Unhappy"?
You sure you've heard a proper sampling of his music? There's a LOT of good stuff, but there is some wierd things too.

Bob
I like that tune, also.  Thanks, Lonewolfny.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #170 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:32 am »
You're welcome Jim.  :D
Yea, I have the NYAR disc too. Those are the guys that introduced me to Wynton in the first place.
Thanks for that guys.  :wink:

Ok, Rockadanny....I found the entire album "The Midnight Blues" on YouTube.
HERE YOU GO.

The link was only created several days ago. I was the first "like" and first comment on there.   :lol:
Hit play and go about your life with this in the background. ALso be sure to change to HD.
See what you think. There's a bit of noodling here, but not as bad as I thought when I posted last.

Enjoy,
Bob

jetengr

« Reply #171 on: 27 Nov 2012, 01:41 am »
Tiger Okoshi - Echoes of a Note (A Tribute to Louis 'Pops' Armstrong)........a very dynamic recording.
Check out "When The Saints Go Marching In"
I'd have never believed a trumpet, banjo & electric guitar could rock so hard together.

Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #172 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:47 am »
Tiger Okoshi - Echoes of a Note (A Tribute to Louis 'Pops' Armstrong)........a very dynamic recording.
Check out "When The Saints Go Marching In"
I'd have never believed a trumpet, banjo & electric guitar could rock so hard together.

Scott
Tiger Okoshi reminds me of another trumpet player with an oriental name . . Terumasa Hino.  The lad can burn.  Don't have a recommendation, however, he plays on a Joachim Kuhn album of mine from the 70's, Hip Elegy (MPS) that blazes.

rockadanny

« Reply #173 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:22 am »
Thanks Bob.
I'll give it a try. But if the noodling becomes excessive that will be his last chance.  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #174 on: 27 Nov 2012, 05:51 am »
You're welcome Jim.  :D
Yea, I have the NYAR disc too. Those are the guys that introduced me to Wynton in the first place.
Thanks for that guys.  :wink:

............ :thumb:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOu2gm3aT10

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #175 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:23 am »
That's the one Chris, thank you!
============
Let this run in the background while you're doing stuff aroung the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpQZ_gGY68

52 minutes of funky jazz, with a LOT of horns. Included in there, is Wynton Marsalis.

Nice.