Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

TJHUB

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #660 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:26 am »
I've done everything I can think of, and the Alix won't respond.  The Alix starts up, but instead of getting the heartbeat flashing LED, the LED is on steady.  When I attempt to use Putty, I get the following message: "Network Error: Connection Refused"

So it looks like this is over...

TomS

« Reply #661 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:11 pm »
I've done everything I can think of, and the Alix won't respond.  The Alix starts up, but instead of getting the heartbeat flashing LED, the LED is on steady.  When I attempt to use Putty, I get the following message: "Network Error: Connection Refused"

So it looks like this is over...
Do you have access to another Linux box? You would then mount the CF card and edit any necessary files from there.

I could probably help you with a fresh CF card image or just fixing your Alix here but unfortunately I'm on a very heavy travel schedule starting next Thursday for a few weeks.

TJHUB

« Reply #662 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:18 pm »
Do you have access to another Linux box? You would then mount the CF card and edit any necessary files from there.

I could probably help you with a fresh CF card image or just fixing your Alix here but unfortunately I'm on a very heavy travel schedule starting next Thursday for a few weeks.

Tom,

I don't have another Linux box.  I don't know anyone locally either.

I would be grateful for any help you are willing to give, no matter how long it takes.  As I see it, if you don't help me, this thing is going in the box and in the basement, or maybe up for sale to someone that can handle this better than me. 

I'm willing to do anything at this point.  I do have 2 CF cards.  One has Voyage on it, and I think the other is blank (FYI).

TomS

« Reply #663 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:48 pm »
Tom,

I don't have another Linux box.  I don't know anyone locally either.

I would be grateful for any help you are willing to give, no matter how long it takes.  As I see it, if you don't help me, this thing is going in the box and in the basement, or maybe up for sale to someone that can handle this better than me. 

I'm willing to do anything at this point.  I do have 2 CF cards.  One has Voyage on it, and I think the other is blank (FYI).
I suspect it is something on the card configuration that has it hung, not the Alix hardware itself. Just send me an email or PM me and we can probably work something out to get you going. As hard as it is to believe, it's definitely worth it  :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #664 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:51 pm »
I suspect it is something on the card configuration that has it hung, not the Alix hardware itself. Just send me an email or PM me and we can probably work something out to get you going. As hard as it is to believe, it's definitely worth it  :thumb:

PM'ing you now.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #665 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:30 pm »
I think I have a problem.  When I rebooted the Alix, I don't get the heartbeat LED any more.  The left LED is on steady and I can't access the Alix with Putty or WinSCP. 

All I did was make that "tunes" directory under /mnt, and edit the fstab file to what Tom suggested.  Did I screw something up?  Is this thing now dead?

You probably edited fstab incorrectly. Most likely did not enter a carriage return after the last line. Now Voyage can't the file system.

If you have a CF card reader you could mount the card on a Windows, Mac or Linux machine to edit fstab correctly.

TJHUB

« Reply #666 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:36 pm »
You probably edited fstab incorrectly. Most likely did not enter a carriage return after the last line. Now Voyage can't the file system.

If you have a CF card reader you could mount the card on a Windows, Mac or Linux machine to edit fstab correctly.

I'll go buy a reader today if you are willing to help me through how to fix this.  You're probably right about what happened.  I was in a hurry to make progress.  It's funny how I did this on the 15th time I edited that file.  Oh well.

I'll go get a reader in an hour or so.

TomS

« Reply #667 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:58 pm »
I'll go buy a reader today if you are willing to help me through how to fix this.  You're probably right about what happened.  I was in a hurry to make progress.  It's funny how I did this on the 15th time I edited that file.  Oh well.

I'll go get a reader in an hour or so.
I didn't think to edit it with Windows. Maybe you already have a slot on a printer or an old camera card reader? That's what I use for all of my cards.

TJHUB

« Reply #668 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm »
I didn't think to edit it with Windows. Maybe you already have a slot on a printer or an old camera card reader? That's what I use for all of my cards.

One of my printers does have a CF card reader on it.  I also just returned from the store with a USB reader as well, so I'm ready either way.

I just plugged the CF card into the printer and it popped up on the screen of the printer with an error (expected as it's Linux).  What do I do now?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #669 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:18 pm »
I edited fstab and mpconfig with Winscp freeware on my Windows desktop (a utility i recommended initially).  Why a CF reader needed?

Ooops, on second thought if you can't connect via Windows you can't edit.  Duh!   :duh:

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #670 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:18 pm »
One of my printers does have a CF card reader on it.  I also just returned from the store with a USB reader as well, so I'm ready either way.

I just plugged the CF card into the printer and it popped up on the screen of the printer with an error (expected as it's Linux).  What do I do now?

I have to run out, but this might help: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&source=hp&q=reading+ext3+in+windows&aq=1sx&aqi=g-sx5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=584da38dc87e051e&biw=1270&bih=778

TomS

« Reply #671 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:02 pm »

Once you have the Alix talking again, don't worry about modifying the fstab file until you're sure the mount works properly from the command line, then you can lock it down in fstab which is used at reboot time. Also, you can then modify the fstab file and use a "mount -a" command to just read fstab for testing without actually committing it (and reverse changes if it doesn't work) until you're ready to reboot.

TJHUB

« Reply #672 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:11 pm »
Once you have the Alix talking again, don't worry about modifying the fstab file until you're sure the mount works properly from the command line, then you can lock it down in fstab which is used at reboot time. Also, you can then modify the fstab file and use a "mount -a" command to just read fstab for testing without actually committing it (and reverse changes if it doesn't work) until you're ready to reboot.

I have had no luck with reading the CF card with Windows, so I gave up.  By chance, my friend called to see how I was doing and we talked.  He has me downloading a bootable Linux CD that will allow me to edit the fstab file.  He also told me about the mount -a command which I will be doing from now on!

Hopefully I'll be up and running within the hour.  When I am, I need to go back to figuring out the correct fstab commands to see my Windows share.

TJHUB

« Reply #673 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:06 pm »
I have Ubuntu running on my main PC from a boot CD.  I can see and navigate to my CF card and view my fstab file.  The problem is that it's read only.  What can I do? 

TJHUB

« Reply #674 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:49 pm »
It's back up and running.  I can't believe what it took to get it to work...

I downloaded and ran Ubuntu from a bootable CD on my main Windows machine.  I had to add a keyboard shortcut to the terminal.  I navigated to the CF, and ultimately the fstab file.  Since it was read-only, I couldn't do anything.  Then I found the "sudo su" command (why I was in a terminal window in the first place) and I was able to edit and save the fstab file. 

I have to say, I'm a little proud of myself for getting this done.  :thumb:

Now...what to do next?

TJHUB

« Reply #675 on: 14 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm »
More good news.  I tried this line in my fstab file and it works:

//192.168.0.50/Media/Music /mnt/tunes cifs defaults 0 0

Thanks Tom!

I can now see my music under /mnt/tunes on the Alix.  :thumb:

So now I just edit mpd.conf and I'm done?

TJHUB

« Reply #676 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:10 am »
Another update...

Things are NOT working again.  When I edited the bad fstab file back to its original state, the Alix boots properly.  Then I use Putty to issue the command "remountrw".  Then I use WinSCP to edit fstab to include the line:

Then I switch over to Putty and issue the command "mount -a" and this is what I get:

Here is proof it's working:

However, when I reboot the Alix, it hangs again.  I've done this 3 times now and the results are the same every time.  What could be wrong now?

TomS

« Reply #677 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:19 am »
Let's see a screen print of what fstab has in it - cat /etc/fstab will do it.

TJHUB

« Reply #678 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:38 am »
This is my current fstab:

#/dev/hda1       /       ext2    defaults,noatime,rw     0       0
proc            /proc   proc    defaults                0       0
tmpfs          /tmp    tmpfs    nosuid,nodev          0       0
#tmpfs           /rw     tmpfs   defaults,size=32M        0       0

TomS

« Reply #679 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:06 am »
This is my current fstab:

#/dev/hda1       /       ext2    defaults,noatime,rw     0       0
proc            /proc   proc    defaults                0       0
tmpfs          /tmp    tmpfs    nosuid,nodev          0       0
#tmpfs           /rw     tmpfs   defaults,size=32M        0       0
Are you SURE there is a carriage return at the very end of that last line?