jRiver 20

DTB300

Re: jRiver 20
« Reply #60 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:15 am »
JRiver 19, OS=Win 2012 R2 Core Mode, with Phil's AO 1.30 and JPlay 5.2.1 in UltraStream

I had a very stripped down version of Win 8 & 8.1, and for my tastes, with my rig, in my room, the sound quality/playback from 2012 R2 Core Mode, and other associated software I noted is definitely better in regards to sound quality (musicality), sound stage, frequency extremes, instrument delineation, vocals, etc..   Just my opinion - your mileage may vary :)

I have not tried JR20 Trial to compare against 19 yet.

*Scotty*

« Reply #61 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:07 am »
jplay should be bypassing the playback engine of jRiver 19, which would be the point of using jplay in the first place. The version used of jRiver may have little or no effect on the playback sound quality at all.
 I played with cplay last night and it sounded similar to ASOI4ALL using using jRiver 20 for playback alone but I still preferred jRiver 20 over cplay. cplay was not stable on my machine and the driver would consistently not load. These problems, coupled with the completely featureless nature of cplay and no improvement in sound quality over jRiver 20 running ASIO4ALL, made cplay a non-starter for me.
Scotty

RichPark

« Reply #62 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:12 am »

Also you run the software to check the PC/laptop system latency, it should be around 300mS or less, the software is called DPC latency checker, after checking you can close it. Do a search you can find it.
You can set latency in jRiver so you may not need to check it with other software. Player>Playback Options>Audio>Advanced>Live playback Latency>50 milliseconds (recommended).  This is the default.

*Scotty*

« Reply #63 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:22 am »
I left the Latency settings at the 50 millisecond default, no problems with playback.
Scotty

RichPark

« Reply #64 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:29 am »
I haven't noticed any real difference between 19 and 20. I believe the incremental difference between the two is not that great at this time. 

I did notice an improvement in audio using jRiver and FLAC file on my computer over playing the redbook cd on my oppo BDP 83.  This was running a 3.5mm to RCA from the ASUS motherboard to my preamp. Things really got exciting when I started using a DAC.

Jon L

« Reply #65 on: 11 Oct 2014, 06:23 am »
JRiver 19, OS=Win 2012 R2 Core Mode, with Phil's AO 1.30 and JPlay 5.2.1 in UltraStream

I had a very stripped down version of Win 8 & 8.1, and for my tastes, with my rig, in my room, the sound quality/playback from 2012 R2 Core Mode, and other associated software I noted is definitely better in regards to sound quality (musicality), sound stage, frequency extremes, instrument delineation, vocals, etc..   Just my opinion - your mileage may vary :)

Are you running Jplay in hibernate mode with Win 2012 Server? 

I am wondering about the difference between Win 8.1 Jplay hibernate mode and Win 2012 Server Jplay hibernate mode.  One would think hibernate mode would make the two OS behave more similarly..

DTB300

« Reply #66 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:08 pm »
No I am not using hibernate mode.  Sorry.

I also run minimum hardware latency in driver settings in JR.  I have found most JR recommended settings suck for my setup/playback.   Only when I was trying out 2x and 4x DSD to iFi DSD DAC did I need to set it higher - it was 50 or 100 - cannot remember at this time.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #67 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:37 pm »
Good morning,

I too am having problems getting mc20 to run though mc19 runs fine.  I downloaded build 22 of mc20 this morning and couldn't get my oppo 103 to show up in the playing now area much less get it to play.  As with others in this thread, mc20 works fine running from the computer but I'm not getting anywhere with dlna.  The information I've received previously from the forum didn't resolve previous attempts.  You can see the thread below:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91427.0

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I would like to get started with mc20.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

ttan98

« Reply #68 on: 13 Oct 2014, 11:50 am »
Good morning,

I too am having problems getting mc20 to run though mc19 runs fine.  I downloaded build 22 of mc20 this morning and couldn't get my oppo 103 to show up in the playing now area much less get it to play.  As with others in this thread, mc20 works fine running from the computer but I'm not getting anywhere with dlna.  The information I've received previously from the forum didn't resolve previous attempts.  You can see the thread below:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91427.0

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I would like to get started with mc20.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

My suggestion is get a backup copy of mc19. Then uninstall mc19 completely, try to install mc20, this I think should work.

dminches

« Reply #69 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:04 pm »
Can anyone comment on the stability of MC20?  One of my PCs running MC19 requires rebooting if I haven't used it for 24 hours, sometimes less.  It is very flaky in this respect.

Phil A

« Reply #70 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:27 pm »
I have never noticed a problem with 18, 19 or 20.  I have Windows 7 Professional on the PC and a stripped down version of Windows 8 on the music server.

dminches

« Reply #71 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:30 pm »
I have never noticed a problem with 18, 19 or 20.  I have Windows 7 Professional on the PC and a stripped down version of Windows 8 on the music server.

I have issues all the time with MC19 running on a box with Win Server 2012 and audiophile optimizer.  Often, when I try to play something (usually through jremote) it just hangs.  The only way to recover the system is to reboot.  A friend of mine is running MC19 on a win 7 box and he has the same issue.

shadowlight

« Reply #72 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:38 pm »
No issues, with mc19 on win server 2012 and jremote but i am not running the optimizer.

Phil A

« Reply #73 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:36 pm »
I use the JRemote App (on an iPad mini) for the music server (Windows 8).  Have not had a problem.  Just need to set the IP address initially for the music server.

kenreau

« Reply #74 on: 13 Oct 2014, 08:41 pm »
I have issues all the time with MC19 running on a box with Win Server 2012 and audiophile optimizer.  Often, when I try to play something (usually through jremote) it just hangs.  The only way to recover the system is to reboot.  A friend of mine is running MC19 on a win 7 box and he has the same issue.

Are your music files on board an intenal hard drive, or external drive?

I'm having hang & crash issues as well, both with MC19 and now MC20.  I suspect mine is due to some connectivity and security issues with my Synology NAS.  If I drag files on to the internal SSD, it appears to work fine, but not with all file formats.  I need to look into the crash log files it generates next.

Phil A

« Reply #75 on: 13 Oct 2014, 09:01 pm »
I have my hard drives (two 3TB) attached to the high speed USB ports of the Windows 8 music server in addition to the few things on the solid state C Drive.  JRemote (via the iPad mini) connects to the music server (which is hard wired to the network) flawlessly.  On the PC with Windows 7 Professional, I have my music on the C drive and have no issues.  So I don't have NAS.

dminches

« Reply #76 on: 13 Oct 2014, 09:20 pm »
Are your music files on board an intenal hard drive, or external drive?

I'm having hang & crash issues as well, both with MC19 and now MC20.  I suspect mine is due to some connectivity and security issues with my Synology NAS.  If I drag files on to the internal SSD, it appears to work fine, but not with all file formats.  I need to look into the crash log files it generates next.

That's my exact scenario.  My files are on a synology NAS.  I know it takes a couple seconds for the NAS to wake up, but then it should be fine.  What I find is that MC19 never connects unless I reboot.  I guess I could try accessing the NAS from a computer to wake it up and then going into MC19.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #77 on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:39 pm »
My suggestion is get a backup copy of mc19. Then uninstall mc19 completely, try to install mc20, this I think should work.
I have wondered if uninstalling mc19 would resolve conflicts with mc20.  I'll give that a try over the next few days.

Thanks
Mike

kenreau

« Reply #78 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:35 pm »
That's my exact scenario.  My files are on a synology NAS.  I know it takes a couple seconds for the NAS to wake up, but then it should be fine.  What I find is that MC19 never connects unless I reboot.  I guess I could try accessing the NAS from a computer to wake it up and then going into MC19.

News Flash.  I think my hang/crash JRMC 20 issues are over.  I have to give a big thank you to Steve (aka srb) who helped me get it sorted out, along with an extensive walk through of the JRMC features.  Turns out the problem was in the Windows Defender granting access to the Synology NAS.  Once we set up a few different program and folder exceptions for WD to allow, it has work flawlessly.

Many thanks to you Steve!!!

Kenreau
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2014, 07:07 pm by kenreau »

Phil A

« Reply #79 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:47 pm »
My Windows 8 music server was built by HAL (Hollis Audio Labs) and he optimized everything and I just use AVP free virus protection (I only go on the web to download the keys attached to JRiver emails for upgrades).  I know how those programs can cause issues.  I remember having to turn off an old virus protection program to get Squeezebox Server to scan in my library properly.  It is good to know there is more expertise on Audio Circle as at some point I may go to NAS