jRiver 20

srb

Re: jRiver 20
« Reply #140 on: 11 Jan 2015, 12:50 am »
Not Properties in Device Manager, but Properties of the playback device in the Control Panel > Sound applet.

Bear

« Reply #141 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:03 am »
Not Properties in Device Manager, but Properties of the playback device in the Control Panel > Sound applet.

I posted a screenshot of that as well, it indicates "Digital Jack".

srb

« Reply #142 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:04 am »
Okay, good.  Well not good per se, but that verifies what I thought that device selection represented and we'll never get playback through the internal speakers with a digital output selected!  Now that we know we're looking for a device that says "Speakers / JRiver Media Center 20" with a speaker icon, maybe a reinstallation will help.

Do you have an HDMI monitor connected to the laptop?  If so, I would disconnect it (the playback device should disappear) and reinstall JRMC 20 again over the existing installation and see if you get a JRiver device that is linked to the internal speakers this time.

Bear

« Reply #143 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:06 am »
Yeah...time for an install. :duh:

Bear

« Reply #144 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:25 am »
downloaded JRMC20 and installed over existing...still cannot route browser sound through JRMC20.  still lost, this seems appropriate:  :cuss: :lol:

srb

« Reply #145 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:38 am »
If the "JRiver Media Center (Digital Jack)" didn't disappear when you disconnected the external HDMI monitor (or maybe you didn't even have one connected?), make the Speakers playback device the default before installation.

Normally one would expect to see a JRiver virtual device created for each present physical hardware device - internal Speakers, HDMI audio and S/PDIF output (if the laptop is so equipped).

Steve

Bear

« Reply #146 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:45 am »
If the "JRiver Media Center (Digital Jack)" didn't disappear when you disconnected the external HDMI monitor (or maybe you didn't even have one connected?), make the Speakers playback device the default before installation.

Normally one would expect to see a JRiver virtual device created for each present physical hardware device - internal Speakers, HDMI audio and S/PDIF output (if the laptop is so equipped).

No it did not disappear.  I am trying to route the sound through JRiver's wdm driver, so that my browser/youtube, spotify, pandora etc.  All sound routes through JRMC20 then to speakers.  At the moment I am just trying to get the sound to play through laptop speakers, then I will attempt HDMI, usb DAC.  I can get sound using the windows drivers.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.0

Bear

« Reply #147 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:56 am »

you

This is JRMC20 "playing" the sound from youtube.  I just can't get it to output the sound to my laptop speakers.

srb

« Reply #148 on: 11 Jan 2015, 03:06 am »
This is JRMC20 "playing" the sound from youtube.  I just can't get it to output the sound to my laptop speakers.

I understand.  It is playing, and if you connected your HDMI output to your receiver I assume you would hear it playing.  For whatever reason, JRiver did not create a virtual playback device for your internal speakers.  You would expect to see a new device with a speaker icon and when you check properties, it would be linked to the laptop's analog speaker output.

If for some reason, JRiver is only creating a virtual playback device for the default sound playback device, did you try the reinstall with Speakers as the default device?

Steve

Bear

« Reply #149 on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:06 am »
I think I have it working, jacked with this all day at work(shitty weather so it was painfully slow/dead)...after installing again, and a reboot.  If you are in JRMC, remember to stop playback and resume after any setting changes for them to take effect. :duh: :thumb:  I am getting  some intermittent popping/clicks, but I have sound, just need to play with buffering and latency settings to see if they work out or not.

Big thank you to Steve, Robin and Tedb and all others who lent support :thumb:

kingdeezie

« Reply #150 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:48 am »
JRMC 20 just released their 20.0.25 version and it includes a full function WDM driver!  That means you can now make JRiver your default Windows sound driver and have everything (read Spotify, Netflix, Youtube, etc) go through JRIver, and use all its DSP, flexibility, etc.  VERY cool.  Streaming just became way better.

I just saw this....

Does it work with PC games?

Does this mean that anything that uses audio on my PC, would bypass the crummy windows mixer, and be able to utilize a bit perfect audio stream to my DAC via an ASIO or WASAPI interface?

Bear

« Reply #151 on: 11 Jan 2015, 02:25 pm »
I just saw this....

Does it work with PC games?

Does this mean that anything that uses audio on my PC, would bypass the crummy windows mixer, and be able to utilize a bit perfect audio stream to my DAC via an ASIO or WASAPI interface?

Yes, via a WDM Driver..

I am far from experienced with it, after 24 hours of fiddling I now have sound routed from browser through JRMC20>Laptop speakers or HDMI>Receiver.  With a few intermittent program level/volume clicks/pops.  The timing is way off as well.  I need to play around with the settings and see what I can work out.

Best of luck

Bear

« Reply #152 on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:38 pm »
A couple quick screen shots of my settings for the JRMC20 WDM driver, audio output to my sony receiver over HDMI(I still have not attempted usb DAC yet as im short on time at the moment :roll:).  I have been playing with it this morning running youtube, spotify, showtimeanytime through it with no timing(audio/video), pops/clicks so far.  I will try and answer any questions you may have when im freed up later though, as may be painfully obvious, the technical stuff to put it mildly is not my strong suit.

https://smtalbert.tinytake.com/sf/MzU0MjBfMzAxMTY2

https://smtalbert.tinytake.com/sf/MzU0MzNfMzAxMjAx

kingdeezie

« Reply #153 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:37 pm »
 :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Just bought Jriver20....DAMN!!

Why would Jriver sounded even better than Fidelify with Spotify? Everything sounds better. More focused.

Are there are any sound tweaks?

*Scotty*

« Reply #154 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:50 pm »
Try ASIO driver or ASIO4ALL driver, this seems to sound better than WASAPI.
Use playback from memory.
Scotty

kingdeezie

« Reply #155 on: 11 Jan 2015, 08:30 pm »
Just burned a CD to FLAC on my new PC through JC river.

Compared the Spotify stream through Jriver to the FLAC CD through Jriver.....

The difference in SQ is staggering, seems streaming is still not viable for absolute SQ. Looks like I am going to have to rip my entire collection.  :duh:

srb

« Reply #156 on: 11 Jan 2015, 08:37 pm »
Just burned a CD to FLAC on my new PC through JC river.
Compared the Spotify stream through Jriver to the FLAC CD through Jriver.....
The difference in SQ is staggering, seems streaming is still not viable for absolute SQ. Looks like I am going to have to rip my entire collection.

Not from Spotify, at least not yet.  Spotify Premium is a compressed 320kbps stream, whereas a more valid comparison might be a streaming service like Tidal which streams uncompressed FLAC, equivalent to 1411kbps - just like your FLAC-ripped CDs.

Steve

kingdeezie

« Reply #157 on: 11 Jan 2015, 08:50 pm »
Not from Spotify, at least not yet.  Spotify Premium is a compressed 320kbps stream, whereas a more valid comparison might be a streaming service like Tidal which streams uncompressed FLAC, equivalent to 1411kbps - just like your FLAC-ripped CDs.

Steve

Do you use Tidal?

Do you find it has a lot of selection at that uncompressed format? I've read that a lot of people have stated that the uncompressed FLAC selection is small right now.

Bear

« Reply #158 on: 12 Jan 2015, 04:40 pm »
update:

In JRMC20  options "Audio Device" under "More" a device called "Realtek High Definition Audio(direct sound)" was created, by selecting this option it will output audio to laptop speakers.  With HDMI to Sony Receiver I select the "SonyAVAMP(Intel(R) Display Autio(Direct Sound)" to output audio to the receiver via HDMI.  It works, though with my laptop it is very finicky as to the order in which I open the site in which I am streaming from(eg. I streamed a movie last night from showtimeanytime.com to my laptop connected to receiver via HDMI).  Once I got it running it worked fine but, I had to refresh the browser and I had to physically disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable to get it to route audio properly.  So it is a little finicky in that respect with my laptop/software.  I am still unsure of the exact order that things need to happen.

Once working, I had no pops or clicks and the audio and video appeared to be in fairly good sync as best I could tell.

Please feel free to provide any suggestions or ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Shane

srb

« Reply #159 on: 13 Jan 2015, 12:33 am »
A couple quick screen shots of my settings for the JRMC20 WDM driver, audio output to my sony receiver over HDMI (I still have not attempted usb DAC yet as im short on time at the moment :roll: ).

Shane,

The JRMC playback device is set as default in the Windows Sound Control panel so that browsers and other programs will use it, as they often have no option to select a playback device within their own program interface so they use the Windows system default.

Programs like JRMC, MediaMonkey, foobar, etc. can select a playback device/driver independent of the Windows default playback device and will overide the system default based on the chosen device/driver within Playback Options > Audio Device.

So based on JRMC as the default Windows audio device, you choose "Realtek High Definition Audio (Direct Sound)" to direct the JRMC processed sound to your speakers.

Whether you choose your "Realtek High Definition Audio", "SonyAVAMP(Intel(R) Display Audio" or your USB DAC output to play from JRMC, if Direct Sound is in parentheses after the device, you will actually be additionally routed through the internal Windows Mixer and won't have a bit perfect output.

There should be variations of each of those devices that have (ASIO) and (WASAPI) in parentheses, and only those driver selections will bypass the Windows Mixer.

Rather than change the Playback Options > Audio Device each time, the easier way is to create additional Zones that are configured for each particular playback device.  Then a single click on that Zone in the left side JRMC column will select that configuration.

Right-click on Playing Now and Add Zone.  Name it, specifying to copy all settings from your main Playing Now zone.  Then select a zone and modify that zone with the proper audio device.

Do you use Tidal?

Do you find it has a lot of selection at that uncompressed format? I've read that a lot of people have stated that the uncompressed FLAC selection is small right now.

No sorry, I do not.  Right now my listening is split between 95% ripped CDs / 5% high-resolution downloaded files and streaming Internet Radio stations from 96kbps AAC to 320kbps MP3.

If in fact the Tidal uncompressed FLAC selection is small right now as you say, I suspect that my predominately Jazz listening might be even more restricted.  I was just saying that would be more of a proper comparison for quality.

Steve