Dspeaker Dual Core review

roscoeiii

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #140 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:46 pm »
Even without the codes, I believe it is possible to use a learning remote with the capability to "read" the signal that the DSPeaker remote is sending. A bit more time consuming a process tho...

2001pass-var

« Reply #141 on: 9 Nov 2012, 04:22 pm »
Even without the codes, I believe it is possible to use a learning remote with the capability to "read" the signal that the DSPeaker remote is sending. A bit more time consuming a process tho...

I did this with a URC universal remote and it works great.  Didn't take much time at all.  Tucked the Dspeaker remote away for safe keeping!

Guidof

« Reply #142 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:46 am »
Anyone  using it in place of a preamp?  I currently have mine going directly into a Simaudio amp.   However, I have the new Primare A34.2 amp coming in and was thinking about buying the matching pre as well.  But now, I don't know.  The Primare Pre32 is a nice looking piece and would look great in my rack, but I'm just not sure if there will any sonics benefits to having it in the system.  Thoughts?

FWIW, I tried the Dual Core as a preamp in my system and found the sound very clean but lacking in dynamics and body. Sort of like the sound I get when using the passive option in my preamp. Not at all convincing.

Guido F.

Guidof

« Reply #143 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:49 am »

I use an inexpensive Logitech Harmony 300. It controls up to 4 devices and had no problem " learning" from the Dual Core (flimsy) remote.

Guido F.

roscoeiii

« Reply #144 on: 13 Nov 2012, 02:22 am »

FWIW, I tried the Dual Core as a preamp in my system and found the sound very clean but lacking in dynamics and body. Sort of like the sound I get when using the passive option in my preamp. Not at all convincing.

Guido F.

And were the dynamics and body restored when you reinserted your preamp?

Guidof

« Reply #145 on: 13 Nov 2012, 05:13 pm »

And were the dynamics and body restored when you reinserted your preamp?

Yes, they were. Of course, this may be system dependent. But in my system it holds true no matter what recordings I use in the comparison.

Rclark

« Reply #146 on: 22 Nov 2012, 07:04 am »
"How good is the Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core? Let’s put it this way: TAS’ Dr. Robert E. Greene has already seen fit to give the product a coveted 2012 TAS Golden Ear Award (in Issue 225) and is, I believe, working on a full-review now. To grasp the draw of the product, it helps to know that DSPeaker claims the Anti Mode 2.0 Dual-Core provides “automatic room correction” and can “fix ANY stereo system in 5 minutes.”

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-cedia-2012-show-report-audio-electronics-sources-part-1/

still epically pumped. Hopefully just a few weeks away from plunking down money for my own.

roscoeiii

« Reply #147 on: 2 Dec 2012, 08:26 pm »
A heads-up on a potential power supply upgrade for the DSPeaker Dual Core. Scroll down to the 3rd post:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112051.new#new

rodge827

« Reply #148 on: 2 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm »
Looks promising!  :D

roscoeiii

« Reply #149 on: 2 Dec 2012, 10:08 pm »

I nominate you to purchase one to compare to the battery power set up you have!  :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #150 on: 2 Dec 2012, 10:15 pm »

I nominate you to purchase one to compare to the battery power set up you have!  :thumb:

Any one to second?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wisnon

« Reply #151 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:02 pm »
great news! new firmware update!

Dec 2 2012

Asynchronous audio transmission in USB mode for improved audio quality
Improved compatibility in USB mode (Squeezebox Touch via USB etc.)
Two user-selectable volume control schemes in USB mode: by remote and by computer. "By remote" ensures that volume level stays consistent with other input modes but master volume requests from the computer are ignored. "By computer" setting routes all volume adjustments through the computer. In this mode, a sudden volume change is possible, especially when connecting the unit to a computer for the first time. Please use with caution. Both modes of operation still utilize the high quality analog volume control IC in Dual Core so audio quality is not compromised in either of the modes.
Added playback controls in USB mode (play/pause and next/previous track)
Compensation setting of the room correction can now be freely adjusted after calibration (using 0.5dB steps)
Improved user interface responsiveness (faster switching of sound profiles, faster bypass/Anti-Mode etc)
New settings menu layout
New homescreen menu (located in Settings menu) allows re-mapping the remote controller's arrow button actions within the homescreen. Separate functions can be assigned to left/right buttons and up/down buttons. The choices are: bass, treble, (full spectrum) tilt, loudness, next/previous track in USB mode, next/previous input switching and off. The OK button can be assigned to either Play/Pause function (in USB mode) or main menu access. (Playback control commands require compatible software on the computer side.)
Highpass and lowpass filters can now be assigned on per-channel basis (allows "1.1" operation).
Added numeric feedback for QuickTone adjustments

wisnon

« Reply #152 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm »

Be aware that the DSPEAKER does use a "quality" SMPS, so there is no guarantee that this Linear PSU is better (though it could be, given that this Linear PSU uses 2 rectifiers for a start...). Here is some chatter about the SMPS in the iUSB power that will help to create some food for thought....

>>>>> how does this device actulaly work? I am not sure how it is to be used. It is not a USB-Spdif converter, so what actually is it? How would it be used with such a converter? Is the iUSB powered by a SMPS?
Wednesday at 12:20am · Edited · Like

>>>>> Is there a manual online?
Wednesday at 12:17am · Like

iFi Audio ,

First, you can find more details and manuals etc. On-Line.

Secondly,the iUSBPower plugs into the USB connection between the PC/Mac and any USB Audio Device. Some of the more extreme High End gear does not draw power from the USB, the vast majority of USB Audio Devices, including USB to SPDIF Converters do.

In recent times we have seen some attempts to for example split up USB Cables and Lithium Polymer batteries to substitute the power supply, however most batteries when actually supplying are quite noisy (see our AP2 measurement which includes a 9V Dry Cell, rechargables are worse).

The iUSBPower contains noise filtering using multiple LCR filters and a so-called super regulator (as opposed to a simple cheap 3-pin regulator) which is similar but not identical to the one described by Walt Jung under this name.

As a result you isolate the USB Audio Device (including USB to SPDIF converters) from the computers power supply and you give a power supply much cleaner than that from the Computer.

Additionally we have also build in some ground impedance management and the option to break the USB ground connection entirely. This can help a lot with noise loops.

Third, you ask is it powered by an SMPS, plugtop type which we supply, however any source of around 9V DC may be applied (at your own risk, mind you). As we wanted a simple way of being able to sell and use the iFi worldwide and we wanted to avoid wasting power, we had to use a custom low noise SMPS.

In basic principle an SMPS is a much better choice power supply than using 50/60Hz rectified. The high frequency at which they produce their AC means transformers can be small and thus minimise noise leakage from the mains, they always use choke input filtering and the high frequency means relatively small components are required to filter any noise.

Another factor, such a supply may be made universal (runs on any mains voltage/frequency current, even DC) and if well designed efficiency will be very high, well over 90%.

However, many common inexpensive examples are build so badly they barely pass FCC requirements. This means they radiate a lot of noise back into the mains and often have very large levels of noise on the output.

The first examples we bought straight in shops like Radio-shack were horrendous. The noise on both the mains input side and the output side was sufficiently high to be visible easily on cheap oscilloscopes. output ripple went from 10's to 100's of millivolt.

Opening them up revealed that the RF filtering was not fitted, that the chokes and capacitors where of insufficient value and that several parts that would have produced low noise where missing, even though there where spaces provisioned on the PCB to fit them.

So we worked with a factory to produce our own plug-top power supply, which not only has all the extra parts fitted but goes beyond this. The result is a power supply that leaks very little noise into the mains (you can measure it, but it needs an expensive analyser, scope traces are clean).

Overall, a common linear supply using a transformer, common rectifiers and a 3-Pin regulator will produce more noise (including noise radiated into the mains) than our SMPS. Do not expect most SMPS's to perform similarly.

rodge827

« Reply #153 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:17 pm »
Norman,

Was the reply by Dspeaker?

Is this about the original PS or a new upgraded one?

I've been straightening up the garage and my new office all day and I'm a little brain dead! :sleep:

wisnon

« Reply #154 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:20 pm »
No, this was a reply from iFI audio, but I just sent a request for info to Dspeaker.

I THINK I recall Tony saying that his SMPS was good too, but my memory is failing and in any case, it was not an elaborate response like this.

How ya doing anyway?

rodge827

« Reply #155 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:23 pm »
OK, I got it now..... :)

wisnon

« Reply #156 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm »
OK, I got it now..... :)

SMPS done right is a GOOD thing, but unfortunately, its often where manufacturers cut corners and supply the cheapest, barely passable type just so the package is complete. iFi audio, clearly did not and thus the iUSB power is sold out and will be selling like hot cakes when they are back in stock.

Guidof

« Reply #157 on: 3 Dec 2012, 11:33 pm »
Major sound quality improvement with DSPeaker's Dec 2, 2012 firmware update, in my view. Greater clarity, truer timbres, more realistic musical presentation. No asynchronous USB support beyond 16/48 yet, but 24/96 is in the works and has been promised for a future release.

Guido F.

wisnon

« Reply #158 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:20 pm »
Good news.

Guidof

New DSPeaker Dual Core Review
« Reply #159 on: 15 Jan 2013, 06:04 pm »
The current issue of The Absolute Sound has an informative review of the Dual Core (by Robert Greene, on p. 88), which goes into some detail in describing the ways the device can be used for more than just bass control.

The discussion of the Dual Core's 16 band parametric EQ is particularly useful.

Two nits to pick with the review:

1. The author gives the impression that one cannot calibrate a 2.1 or 2.2 system, but in fact this can be done by connecting sub(s) to the DUal Core's RCA outs and connecting amp, or preferably preamp, to the XLR outs. In this scheme, not only is the bass corrected for both main speakers and sub(s), but obviously also all EQ is affecting both.

2.  Dr. Greene states that exporting the room response measurements requires a program that is still not available from the manufacturer's web site. This is not correct as far as Windows OS is concerned. Measurements are in fact exportable via the PC Link menu option as text files that can be read in a PC by a program such as REW.

Nevertheless, an excellent review, well worth reading.

Guido F.