NX-Center

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Center
« Reply #60 on: 24 Oct 2023, 04:38 am »
Right!  With a three channel setup  it already has 21 driver without the subs.

GR's unofficial motto should be "go big or go home!"

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #61 on: 24 Oct 2023, 12:50 pm »

Perhaps it's "if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing"?

I could also picture Danny yelling out "YOLO" from the back of the shop sketching out new designs.  :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #62 on: 24 Oct 2023, 01:29 pm »
Hmmmm... perhaps I can build a pair of these for a 2-channel system and stretch them across three dual servo subs used as stands. That's over 8 feet of OB goodness. Of course, Danny and Hobbs will say this setup won't measure well in the room, but who cares? The cool factor is off the charts! 

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 24 Oct 2023, 10:52 pm »
Hmmmm... perhaps I can build a pair of these for a 2-channel system and stretch them across three dual servo subs used as stands. That's over 8 feet of OB goodness. Of course, Danny and Hobbs will say this setup won't measure well in the room, but who cares? The cool factor is off the charts!

Sounds pretty cool to me.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 24 Oct 2023, 11:25 pm »

Assuming the middle is laid down, it will need a 15 degree stand so that it's point up rather than down at the floor.

It'll measure fine, you will simply get an earlier roll off in the off axis at the top end.

VinceT

« Reply #65 on: 25 Oct 2023, 12:02 am »

Just "Go Big" will do

Maybe I will look for a LS6 and use that as a center to go with my for my LS9's  :lol: Now that would be something!

Early B.

« Reply #66 on: 25 Oct 2023, 12:17 am »
Assuming the middle is laid down, it will need a 15 degree stand so that it's point up rather than down at the floor.

It'll measure fine, you will simply get an earlier roll off in the off axis at the top end.

The speaker sensitivity is about 93dB?

cjsailer

« Reply #67 on: 7 May 2024, 11:05 pm »
Sorry, but not sorry, for dredging up an old thread.  I think there are still a few of us out there interested in this NX Center speaker.  Just wondering if there has been any progress/announcements on the project. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 8 May 2024, 06:18 pm »
It's available, we just haven't officially announced it yet.

https://gr-research.com/product/nx-center/

cjsailer

« Reply #69 on: 8 May 2024, 11:20 pm »
Thanks for the link Hobbs.  Order placed.

Vince in TX

« Reply #70 on: 20 May 2024, 02:58 am »
Thanks for the link Hobbs.  Order placed.

Ooooh.   Added to my wish list.  Might be overkill, though, since I'm only sitting about 9' from my X-Voce at the moment.

cjsailer

« Reply #71 on: 11 Jun 2024, 10:10 pm »
Well, I was able to knock out the NX Center this past weekend.  And I'm very pleased with the results.

I'd like to thank all parties involved for bringing this speaker to fruition.  It's really a niche product and a lot of work was put into the design of the various components.  So thank you Danny, Hobbs, Jay, Don, and Killian for the work on this speaker.

BrandonB

« Reply #72 on: 11 Jun 2024, 10:27 pm »
Well, I was able to knock out the NX Center this past weekend.  And I'm very pleased with the results.

I'd like to thank all parties involved for bringing this speaker to fruition.  It's really a niche product and a lot of work was put into the design of the various components.  So thank you Danny, Hobbs, Jay, Don, and Killian for the work on this speaker.

You have the coolest center channel on the block!  How does it sound?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #73 on: 11 Jun 2024, 10:31 pm »
So badass!

rinzzlr

« Reply #74 on: 14 Jun 2024, 04:31 am »

Great work, nice to see someone took the plunge! I plan on building one soon. I’ve found that some DTS-MA 5.1 tracks don’t like 4.2.4 and it bugs me to no end not having a matching center. Would you mind a picture or two from the rear? (Not tiktok related  :P).
I’m debating on which finish to use - will probably keep it all in house and make it something without reflection like Duratex since it sits below and in front of the TV. I’m curious what you did for the crossover (where does it go?) I think I may want to do an external crossover for this one. Lastly, are you letting your AVR set the crossover point, or are you running it full range? Have you tried it both ways?

BrandonB

« Reply #75 on: 14 Jun 2024, 02:39 pm »
What processors are you guys using for your surround sound to match such hi end speakers?

cjsailer

« Reply #76 on: 15 Jun 2024, 03:20 am »
For the finish, I just did flat black paint to minimize possible light reflections.

An external crossover box would be the best approach for a couple of reasons.  First if you mounted the crossover internally, you'd be laying it over no-rez which would compress it and perhaps diminish its effectiveness.  Second the front to back slope of this speaker is steep, so you'd want to securely mount it to the cabinet, either with screws or with velcro. 

If you go with an external crossover, I think you'd need extra sets of tube connectors for a quick disconnect mechanism ... so it would look like a tri-amped speaker in a sense.

I of course broke all those rules, and am basically laying the crossover flat inside the speaker directly behind the tweeter and mid bass drivers.  I don't want to give anyone bad ideas, so I won't be including a picture of the rear.  LOL.  I suppose I will eventually right this wrong and go with the tri-amp approach with external crossover.

For the electronic crossover in the processor, I think I've tried it between 60hz and 70hz.  I'm not much of A-B comparison guy, so I probably won't try it full range.

Great work, nice to see someone took the plunge! I plan on building one soon. I’ve found that some DTS-MA 5.1 tracks don’t like 4.2.4 and it bugs me to no end not having a matching center. Would you mind a picture or two from the rear? (Not tiktok related  :P).
I’m debating on which finish to use - will probably keep it all in house and make it something without reflection like Duratex since it sits below and in front of the TV. I’m curious what you did for the crossover (where does it go?) I think I may want to do an external crossover for this one. Lastly, are you letting your AVR set the crossover point, or are you running it full range? Have you tried it both ways?

cjsailer

« Reply #77 on: 15 Jun 2024, 03:28 am »
Emotiva XMC-2.  Not a purchase I'm exactly proud of.  I think they are releasing a new line of processors later this summer, so maybe I'll trade it then.  For a time, I had a pre-amp so that I could switch between the processor and a proper DAC for 2 channel listening.  Haven't really settled on a final setup yet.

What processors are you guys using for your surround sound to match such hi end speakers?

AK-Grwn_v2

« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 05:28 pm »

So, how has the center channel working out for you. Also, what are your impressions overall on the otica NX Left/Right/Center set-up?