BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

gevorg

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #960 on: 8 Jan 2016, 06:42 pm »
Is Mike Pickett still a contact for the BHA-1 gain mod? I've emailed mpickett@bryston.com a couple of days ago and haven't got a response.

ttsto

« Reply #961 on: 8 Jan 2016, 07:13 pm »
What mod? I am interested also if there is a mod allowing to lower the gain of BHA-1.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #962 on: 8 Jan 2016, 11:26 pm »
He might be busy/away at CES this week.

gevorg

« Reply #963 on: 25 Jan 2016, 11:56 pm »
still no response...

jaylevine

« Reply #964 on: 30 Jan 2016, 08:07 pm »
I hope they answer you soon re: i am using my BHA-1 as a preamp and the gain using a balanced input is 10db spl higher than if I use single ended at the same volume setting (makes using it as a preamp using XLR almost a non-starter).

Have others experienced this level of difference in output?

jaylevine

« Reply #965 on: 30 Jan 2016, 08:13 pm »
Think I just answered my own question (yeah google). From an earlier post by James:

"Hi

Yes - a balanced  connection has 6dB more gain than a single ended connection (because it has twice the voltage swing). So if you use a Balanced Source you get the extra 6dB of gain and if you use a balanced XLR Output from the BHA you get a further 6dB of gain for a total of 12dB.

James

PS - another advantage of Balanced is a lower noise floor as well"

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #966 on: 30 Jan 2016, 10:01 pm »
 The lower noise floor is what I have experienced with the totally balanced  connection between all components  (CD to pre to power) . I would never go back to single ended :thumb:

jaylevine

« Reply #967 on: 30 Jan 2016, 11:08 pm »
Thanks. Unfortunately the higher gain when connected DAC to BHA-1 via fully balanced connection makes it most unusable as a preamp.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #968 on: 31 Jan 2016, 12:20 am »
Unfortunately the higher gain when connected DAC to BHA-1 via fully balanced connection makes it most unusable as a preamp.

Why so ... ??
Too much gain for a power amp input !? I don't know.

Or too much for headphones ... o.O

Fernando.

jaylevine

« Reply #969 on: 31 Jan 2016, 01:21 am »
For power amp. The gain is so high with an all balanced connection the volume control barely gets past 8-9 o'clock before the volume is too much.

Fernando

« Reply #970 on: 31 Jan 2016, 01:33 am »
For power amp. The gain is so high with an all balanced connection the volume control barely gets past 8-9 o'clock before the volume is too much.

good to know, thank you.
I was considering it as a possible upgrade from my BP 25

there are few choices where i live.

the other one might be the sennheiser hddv 800 [http://tinyurl.com/mn7suqc] - but i already have a dac, and the senn is pretty expensive.
and i didn't yet upgrade my senn hd 600 ...

Fernando.

Mike Pickett

« Reply #971 on: 1 Feb 2016, 05:43 pm »
Is Mike Pickett still a contact for the BHA-1 gain mod? I've emailed mpickett@bryston.com a couple of days ago and haven't got a response.

Hi;

My apologies that you haven't received a response on this e-mail. I actually have not been able to find any record of your original request, so please send it again, or call me at the main Peterborough #.

We can reduce the gain on a BHA1 by 12db quite easily by rearranging the gain resistors, and this modification would cost 1 hour of labour, at $85.00, plus shipping.

Thanks,

Mike

R. Daneel

« Reply #972 on: 3 Feb 2016, 01:03 pm »
Hi!

I have a question regarding the gain setting on the BHA-1. The standard model has a gain of 14dB and 20dB at first and second gain position respectively. Are these gain settings independent or does changing one setting inevitably infludence the other setting as well?

For example, if the gain at the first setting was changed to 0dB, would the sencond setting remain 20dB or would it now be 8dB which is the difference between the first and second setting?

Thank you!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #973 on: 8 Apr 2016, 10:03 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier

April 2016

Hi James

After my previous amp developed problems for the second time, I decided to obtain an amplifier that was my favorite at the last Portland meet, cost no object (and there were some very expensive amps there), and despite the large amount of desk real estate it takes, namely the Bryston BHA-1.

BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

This is a shockingly good amplifier. It does everything well. Completely neutral. Butter smooth up to ear bleed volumes. Amazing imaging.

You rarely see it mentioned on Head-Fi, which is a big shame.

The BHA-1 Headphone amplifier is a giant killer.

S Bradly

Fernando

« Reply #974 on: 8 Apr 2016, 08:24 pm »
The BHA-1 Headphone amplifier is a giant killer.

James, while at it I thought this might be a chance to tell what has prevented me to buy a BHA-1 sooner.

I cannot think of a good reason why its volume control is not remote controllable - I think the same potentiometer could be offered with a remote control as an optional feature .

By the way, I think the BP-26 could offer an optional LED in the volume pot to tell in low light where in the up-down attenuation it actually is. And to know where to grasp it quickly in low light conditions. Same for the BHA-1.

Fernando.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #975 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:09 am »
Ethernet and IR control are the only changes I'd wish for on my BHA-1. LOVE the sound!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #976 on: 17 Apr 2016, 06:55 pm »

James,

It's been awhile - I hope all is well with you.

Our new top-of-the-line LCD4 headphone is doing extremely well.

However, it's 200 ohms and customers are asking for headphone amp suggestions. Is it possible for you to send us one of your headphone amps for a few days so we can check it out?

Also, if you'd like me to send you an LCD4 for Bryston to review, I'll be glad to do so.

Regards,
Mark Cohen
Audeze

James

Received the amp - it works great with the LCD-4 at 200 ohms!

We'll be glad to recommend it.

Regards,
Mark Cohen
Audeze

mkaiser

« Reply #977 on: 18 Apr 2016, 11:25 pm »

James,

It's been awhile - I hope all is well with you.

Our new top-of-the-line LCD4 headphone is doing extremely well.

However, it's 200 ohms and customers are asking for headphone amp suggestions. Is it possible for you to send us one of your headphone amps for a few days so we can check it out?

Also, if you'd like me to send you an LCD4 for Bryston to review, I'll be glad to do so.

Regards,
Mark Cohen
Audeze

James

Received the amp - it works great with the LCD-4 at 200 ohms!

We'll be glad to recommend it.

Regards,
Mark Cohen
Audeze

Hi James,
If you receive the LCD4 can you briefly comment on its performance. Not sure if you own Audeze or not but I think you may have mentioned owning a pair awhile back.

Mark

spotlightaudio

« Reply #978 on: 19 Apr 2016, 12:13 am »
When did we loose the balance control ? :scratch:

Fernando

« Reply #979 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:00 am »
When did we loose the balance control ? :scratch:

Ouch !! - and I was hoping for a remote volume control, and a led on the pot ...  :nono: